• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

School for children with autism opens in South Portland

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
School for children with autism opens in South Portland
By Jim Keithley, General Assignment Reporter, [email protected]
Published On: Nov 12 2014 11:50:23 AM EST
Updated On: Nov 12 2014 09:30:01 PM EST

image.jpg

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine -
A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Wednesday at the Center for Autism and Developmental Disorders, a new school for children with autism.

The school, serving students from K-12, hosted an open house for parents.

Dr. Matthew Siegel showed off the new facility, which includes a sensory room.

"It teaches them how to regulate emotions and better control behavior," said Siegel.

There is also an observation room where doctors and parents can see the kids, but the kids can't see them.

The purpose of this is so the parent and teachers and other people involved in the child's life can come an observe and learn how to run the child's behavior plan," said Siegel.

The facility also has a clinic where more than half a dozen medical professionals are ready to help the children.

"In this clinic we have most of the people that a child or a family would need to see all under one roof," said Siegel.

Wendi O'Donovan has a teenage son with autism. She wished a center like the one in South Portland existed when her son was younger.

"It would have relieved a lot of stress on our family to have our services under one roof, have a team approach of providers," she said. "It's just an exciting day in the world of autism in the state of Maine."

Siegel said the school's mission is simple.

"So the focus of being in our school would be to work on the emotional and behavioral challenges, try to stabilize things, while also engaging in school and then be able to transfer the child back to their local school program," said Siegel.

New statistics from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control indicate that 1 in 68 children are diagnosed with autism.

One in 42 boys and 1 in 189 girls are considered autistic.

The CDC said most children are not diagnosed until after the age of 4.

Source: School for children with autism opens in South Portland | Local News - Home

Sounds like they've thought through a lot of things. I'd like to see the sensory room, the playground was one of my favorite places at school.

Sounds great, but the observation windows would have freaked me the heck out, especially as a kid. . .
They are creepy. They are one-way windows, so that the kids can't see through and can't see that they are being observed. Maybe that keeps the kids from being freaked out. But it is still crepy.

They are creepy. They are one-way windows, so that the kids can't see through and can't see that they are being observed. Maybe that keeps the kids from being freaked out. But it is still crepy.

It won't stay secret for long, I'd guess. On one-way windows if you press your nose up to the glass you can see through them.

New Threads

Top Bottom