• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Scared of inanimate objects

Were you afraid of inanimate objects as a kid?

• Yes

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I don't remember

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Caspar

When I was a kid, I was scared of certain objects, particular this chandelier in my house. It looked like a creepy UFO with an eye staring at me and sometimes I couldn't sleep at night...yes, I was even weirder as a kid.

Does anyone else have this experience?

I did Oh me! I had this picture in my Nana's house that I swore the eyes moved as you walked it scared me so badly she had to move the picture out of the basement where we played. There was a Jesus picture at an aquantainces house when I was kid that also scared the snot out of me. I felt like it watched you. Also anything to do with clowns so clown dolls, jack in boxes, yah creepy.

When I was a child I lived in a corner of a huge bedroom with both my dad and mother who had separate beds of their own, mother would pile stuff up everywhere including clothes and often times with the curtains open and the streetlight streaming in, the clothes would meld to form shapes that my juvenile mind conjured all sorts of frightening apparitions out of, especially with dad snoring a few feet away! My brothers preying on all my fears didn’t help either, that’s why I always say, I am not afraid of the dark I’m terrified of what hides in it! Occasionally even now, I will wake up and see a coat hanging or such like and think I am being burgled for a second, then I just relax and it resolves into whatever normal everyday items they are and I can start the day.

Occasionally even now, I will wake up and see a coat hanging or such like and think I am being burgled for a second, then I just relax and it resolves into whatever normal everyday items they are and I can start the day.

Waaaah, Seriously, how much of a sook am I? I moved into bigger digs, it is a 3 bedroom house, this is my second night staying here and its like I am like a little kid again, I'll see something out of the corner of my eye, know full well with 95% of my brain that it is a completely harmless inanimate object and then, with that other 5% of my brain screaming that its a ghost or a demon or some such, I will quickly do the rounds of the house to make sure I am alone. What the hell drugs are they putting in the water round here?

Anybody remember that joke; What’s the most sensitive part of a masturbator? The ears, because you’re constantly listening out for people so you don’t get busted!
Well that’s what my ears are like at the moment, I am trying to acclimatize myself to the sounds of the house to determine what is normal or not, at the moment I could hear a mouse belch 2 blocks away, and yet I still get the heebie jeebies every five minutes from things that don’t move! Would you call this whole thing rational reasoning of a sound mind or am I just a big baby? Your call :err:

I was, and still am, fearful of buttons. The kind that are on clothing, not the elevator kind.

Hey Bay, Billy Bob Thornton the actor is afraid of antique furniture or so I understand. Your fear doesn’t seem so odd to me having heard that about him.
Did people used to tease you about this and (legitimate question) does all your clothing have zips & drawstrings because of your fear?

My sister teased me about it, and used to chase me around the house, threatening to touch buttons to my skin. I don't know if anyone else knew. My mother became so exasperated with me because I refused to wear cardigans.

I have come to accept that it's hard to go through life without buttons, but I try to avoid them whenever I can. I can live with a button on my jeans, or a few on a jacket, but for me, drawstrings and zippers are preferred. Sometimes if I go to a yard sale, someone will have a container of buttons out for sale. I can hardly bear to look at them. I must not be alone because there is a name for it, Koumpounophobia. I have read that Steve Jobs also had koumpounophobia.

I wasn't afraid of object, but sometimes I thought there was something connected to some objects some sort of dark energy, I was afraid of that.

There was an old wooden chair at my Nana's house that I was terrified of. Whenever we went to stay at her house, she had to cover it up with a sheet so I couldn't see it.

Also, I remember being scared of toilets with black seats. I think this stemmed from a general fear of school and public toilets, since those were the only places that had black toilet seats.

New Threads

Top Bottom