• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Run inside? Run outside? Runner's High?

I've been known to do the odd jog.....

I've a history of very bad ankle injuries sustained from running races, but with the assistance of some skilled surgeons, back better than before the injuries.

Depending on when in the year/race season then I'll be running probably 5-6 times a week (sometimes twice a day) as I race long/iron distance triathlon. I started running in 2000 to lose a bit of weight (always cycled lots) and just carried on. I had a dalliance with the ultras, but then another torn ankle ligament and the surgeon said road running only.

I spend a fortune on physios though to try and keep my misbehaving body working.

In terms of shoes, especially for new runners, please go to a proper running shop. You'll pay more for the same shoes from there, but they will check your gait and give you the right shoes for you. From there it's up to you if you buy the same online or go back.

As mentioned earlier, I have 2-3 pairs in use at any time, thankfully Strava lets me keep track of the milage on each shoe.

As for getting into running, starting off with a minute running, 4 mins walking then a minute run and 4 walking for up to 5 'reps' and doing that 3 times in the first week, and if all goes well, next week try 2min jog 3 min walk. Etc.

I still run on a treadmill. Running isn't good for females, who chose concrete. So granted l am not running marathons, but l am kinder to my aging body. I don't see many runners at the gym, and definitely no older female runners, (sad). But it is good to see walkers on the treadmill, like a gateway to maybe running or jogging one day. I just decided l was doing it. I always enjoyed long distance running in elementary school. I always smiled and felt free running. This is when teachers put kids outside to actually exercise, something l don't see has much due to our more constrained world.

I still run on a treadmill. Running isn't good for females, who chose concrete. So granted l am not running marathons, but l am kinder to my aging body. I don't see many runners at the gym, and definitely no older female runners, (sad). But it is good to see walkers on the treadmill, like a gateway to maybe running or jogging one day. I just decided l was doing it. I always enjoyed long distance running in elementary school. I always smiled and felt free running. This is when teachers put kids outside to actually exercise, something l don't see has much due to our more constrained world.
Hi ,
I am a runner been running over 30 years . I run every morning at 4:30 am no matter what the weather is like . Even in negative degrees lol. Only if it's a blizzard then I am at the gym doing the elliptical. Not the same . Definitely is a runners high Honestly you don't want to be around me if I can't run lol. As far as concrete yes it's bad for everyone Bad on the knees . Pavement is better . I am an older female 51 yrs old and run outside 7 days a week. I have had many injuries from running stress FX and several hamstring strains However I will run to the day I die well I hope so lol . You couldn't catch me on a treadmill though not even close to running outside.

I've been known to do the odd jog.....

I've a history of very bad ankle injuries sustained from running races, but with the assistance of some skilled surgeons, back better than before the injuries.

Depending on when in the year/race season then I'll be running probably 5-6 times a week (sometimes twice a day) as I race long/iron distance triathlon. I started running in 2000 to lose a bit of weight (always cycled lots) and just carried on. I had a dalliance with the ultras, but then another torn ankle ligament and the surgeon said road running only.

I spend a fortune on physios though to try and keep my misbehaving body working.

In terms of shoes, especially for new runners, please go to a proper running shop. You'll pay more for the same shoes from there, but they will check your gait and give you the right shoes for you. From there it's up to you if you buy the same online or go back.

As mentioned earlier, I have 2-3 pairs in use at any time, thankfully Strava lets me keep track of the milage on each shoe.

As for getting into running, starting off with a minute running, 4 mins walking then a minute run and 4 walking for up to 5 'reps' and doing that 3 times in the first week, and if all goes well, next week try 2min jog 3 min walk. Etc.
I agree definitely proper sneakers make all the difference. I love Asics. Need someone to evaluate your gait and arches. Supinate or pronate? My I keep track of my miles . I am lucky if my sneakers last 3 months. When I don't change them on time I always end up with an injury. Also very important to stretch especially after you run. Specifically hamstrings and gastrocs.

That's great that we both celebrate running, it doesn't matter where we do it. I love to run as it recalibrates my thoughts. I am older than you, so running on pavement isn't a option. But l also love ballet, belly dancing, weight-lifting. Great you are staying healthy, and committed everyday to run.l applaud you. @Aryana

That's great that we both celebrate running, it doesn't matter where we do it. I love to run as it recalibrates my thoughts. I am older than you, so running on pavement isn't a option. But l also love ballet, belly dancing, weight-lifting. Great you are staying healthy, and committed everyday to run.l applaud you.
Well I applaud you too.! No it doesn't matter but for me I cannot do it on a treadmill one of the main reasons is I would be bored staring at the time LOL plus I love a lot of hills and running outside it's my biggest stress reliever. How long have you been running for? I will probably end up with two TKR lol

I love ascis also, perfect running shoes. About eleven years l have been running. I did it to get courage to divorce, then courage to get thru almost 3 years of hammering out divorce terms after separated. It helped me more than any therapist.

Need someone to evaluate your gait and arches.

A nearby university offered free gait analysis. It was useful for me because I always had a sore knee from running and they were able to figure out that it related to my lower back muscles, affecting my quads, which in turn was affecting my knee. Now I wear a lightweight knee support and adjust my technique a little, and the knee is much better.

Also there's a small family-run running shop that offers free gait analysis if you buy your shoes there. It's quite sophisticated with pressure pads and stuff.

I love ascis also, perfect running shoes. About eleven years l have been running. I did it to get courage to divorce, then courage to get thru almost 3 years of hammering out divorce terms after separated. It helped me more than any therapist.

Oh I agree running is my therapy like I said it's my biggest stress reliever! But no one understands that unless you're a runner anyways happy running to you I already finished my 7 miles this morning. Let me know how you do!

The running store has a machine that shows where your feet sit in the shoe at my mall. I was surprised to find out that l don't have flat feet, that l stand with my weight on the outside of my feet.

The running store has a machine that shows where your feet sit in the shoe at my mall. I was surprised to find out that l don't have flat feet, that l stand with my weight on the outside of my feet.
I am physical therapist so I can analyze my own feet lol. It's important to know so you prevent injuries I am going to stress how important it is to stretch!! I have to admit I am bad about stretching which results in most of my injuries.

Me too. I am horrible about that. I try to circle my ankles, and stretch calves sometimes. I have a healed broken ankle that l was in surgery for about 5 hours back about 7 years ago. I started running the min my doc gave me the go ahead. I couldn't run almost a year, but l skipped the big boot they give you. Bought a sport ankle brace, and laced up boots with a heel and walked everyday and ate lots of protein.

New Threads

Top Bottom