• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Religion - can talk here.

Pats

V.I.P Member
@Streetwise
I think the never being able to ask for help plays a part in my answer to why don't I often pray for myself. I guess I do and I don't. I don't ask for things. I don't feel the need to because God knows before I even need it what I'm going to need so I trust Him with all things concerning myself. I learned this a long time ago from different examples, but I'll share a couple.

After I went out on disability. I was still married but my husband would not help out financially with the house, bills or groceries. (He used to, but stopped). Well, my disability insurance stopped, but I was still waiting for social security to accept my claim. So there was a couple months I had nothing coming in, had nothing saved, no way I would be able to pay anything. Well, I received a check in the mail - complete surprise to me - from a lawsuit from a company I dealt with years ago and never thought any more about it. Is it possible that God knew I would need it when I did, so years ago led me to do this so I would be taken care of when I needed it? I believe so.

When I was with my second husband (the con artist) we moved around a lot - Montana, Alaska, Utah, etc, etc. All those moves I never knew anyone and was content just me and my baby. But when we lived in Bozeman, Mt I decided to go to church there and I met a few people, though didn't get too close to anyone. (For one thing we were living under an assumed name and I knew we wouldn't be there long), but I went. So a year or so later, I was living in Ohio - 2 babies now. Police pulled up - they were very kind and waited for my mom to come to take care of my babies and were apologetic for having to take me in. I was released on my word that I would go to Bozeman and turn myself in. I did (spent 3 months talking to the FBI there). But the people at the church that I went to took us in (me, my mom and my babies), giving us a place to live while we were there. The preacher (I would not have known this about) dealt a lot with the police and judges in Bozeman. It was kind of unbelievable how everything worked out to the smallest detail. Why did it end in Bozeman? And that is where that all ended. But my husband was wanted in multiple states and federal, so it could have been anywhere.

No one could ever tell me that God was not in charge of my life. He knew the best place for all that to end and prepared the way. So why would I ask for something when I already know that God already has it taken care of?

But I'm not completely left out of my prayers. I am thankful for everything. I ask for forgiveness and strength and wisdom. But mostly try to remember those that probably don't have prayers going up for them.

I also learned many many years ago that sometimes prayers are not answered until I have the right attitude. After returning from Bozeman, I was living with my mom and hated it and would pray for help getting out of there. Nothing happened. Then my attitude changed, my reasons changed in my heart and I knew to have a better relationship with my mom, instead of the bitter one I was having, I needed just a little distance. Immediately an apartment came available for both of us. We were neighbors and our relationship improved drastically. I first was praying for selfish reasons.

Anyhow - I could go on and on with examples, but you get the idea. Even the autism thing - I always questioned what was wrong with me, but had to do what I had to do and probably would have given up if I had the excuse of autism. So late in life, God gave me my answers for my own relief, AFTER I had already done what I needed to do.

Oh, an important note - before heading to Bozeman, I was afraid. I was afraid I would go to jail and lose my children and never see them again. It was a horrible fear. But God gave me the strength to go, even with those fears. I even was praying that my children land in the hands of what or who would be best for them. I was blessed that it was me.

Just read this thread again and the one from which it derived.

Ponder this why do you seldom pray for yourself..
The question is still around for me, why do we so seldom pray for ourselves.

This question is resonating with me (for me and my situations) - but recognising it as a good question

Just read this thread again and the one from which it derived.

The question is still around for me, why do we so seldom pray for ourselves.

This question is resonating with me (for me and my situations) - but recognising it as a good question
Hi Alexej. Thanks for acknowledging this post, and, yes, it helps to know the question behind it. I should have made sure to include that.
I think there are multiple reasons we often don't pray for ourselves - this is my main reason and not a day goes by that I don't remember these things and so many others.

We don't like asking for help. We don't like to, what seems like, complain. And we don't like drawing attention to ourselves under any circumstance. I have to admit this, but it drives me crazy when I see constant posts from the same person asking others to pray for them but don't say why. To me it feels more like attention seeking than an actual need. I, along with so many others here, are more hiders. We prefer to not be seen or heard, so we try to stay fairly quiet. Naturally these things are going to also show up in our prayer life. Then there is also that nagging, 'do we deserve this' question in the back of our minds. We've always felt like we don't belong, we aren't worthy of things. "I'm a terrible person so why should anyone, including God want to listen to me or be nice to me"? But when I start feeling real down on myself I can remember how much God HAS done for me and I'm in awe. I mean, ME. I don't deserve any of it, but He freely gives because of grace and love.
I hope some of this helps.

@Pats - thanks for the reply

We don't like asking for help.
Yes - Know that one

we don't like drawing attention to ourselves under any circumstance.
Amen

I have to admit this, but it drives me crazy when I see constant posts from the same person asking others to pray for them but don't say why. To me it feels more like attention seeking than an actual need. I, along with so many others here, are more hiders. We prefer to not be seen or heard, so we try to stay fairly quiet.
Know that one too

Then there is also that nagging, 'do we deserve this' question in the back of our minds.

Not really felt this one myself

We've always felt like we don't belong, we aren't worthy of things.
Got that one ticked too

I hope some of this helps.
Yes it does

Thank you for sharing your story with us! Very interesting.

I've got similar reasons and some that were born of the dysfunction I grew up in why I don't usually pray for myself often but do for others.

Matthew 6: 7-8
7 “And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

This one verse I overlooked before. I used to think it meant that we couldn't ask but I realized much later that he just says not to be wordy because he already knows what we need.

Since God loves us, we matter and should ask for his help for ourselves not just for others but like you said, not for selfish gain. There's specific scripture for that as well but I don't want to quote too much.

I do believe that he moves without us asking because someone else's prayers for us were being answered. As an example, my mamaw (grandma) on my dad's side prayed for all her children and my dad had many instances where he should've died but lived. He wasn't praying or particularly following God, but God intervened.

I have to admit this, but it drives me crazy when I see constant posts from the same person asking others to pray for them but don't say why. To me it feels more like attention seeking than an actual need.
do you think maybe that person doesn’t understand praying the way you do or is frightened to tell people what they want to pray for not everybody has your confidence!

do you think maybe that person doesn’t understand praying the way you do or is frightened to tell people what they want to pray for not everybody has your confidence!
possible - I have no idea they why's. It's probably too personal that they don't want to share. And just the way I look at things I don't understand sharing what's too personal that I wouldn't want to share, but making it known to everyone. (if that makes sense).

@Pats you probably know I’m not religious, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like reading stories about other people’s faith and what it has done for them. He might not be my God, but it sounds like He has provided for you, and that gives me a warm feeling :)

@Pats you probably know I’m not religious, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like reading stories about other people’s faith and what it has done for them. He might not be my God, but it sounds like He has provided for you, and that gives me a warm feeling :)
Thanks Bolletje. I'm glad.

When I pray, I thank God for the good things He gave to me. I mean, I'm autistic but I have a house where to live, a job that I like, and a wonderful woman that understands me. I feel grateful.

New Threads

Top Bottom