• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Regarding Ravens

In the north of Australia the crows have developed white or pale blue eyes, I think in response to the overly bright sunshine. In the south of the country their eyes are black like in the rest of the world.

View attachment 96371
Jackdaws have light eyes:

jackdawrichard-woods-cropped.jpg

We get them a lot around here. In fact there's a fair few of them nesting near our house.

Ed

^ So much suspense in the build up!

Can’t believe how many times he came back in swooping.

You must remember our Magpies from your time here, they're also a member of the same family. Highly intelligent, beautiful song voice. They can also mimic human speech. They have excellent facial recognition which is important to remember during nesting time, then they become quite aggressive and will attack people they don't know and people that they do know but don't like.

View attachment 96370
I love this video:

I love the grifters. For the past year, there has been a pair that picks up a hardboiled egg from my yard at 30 minutes after sunrise, without fail. The life of a raven is ordered, and highly calculated.

Tricks for not getting swooped at:

Be a friend. You don't have to feed them all the time or anything, throw them a couple of scraps just once and the whole family will remember you, especially if you throw scraps to the babies. (they eat meat)

Don't wear a hat. Many animals including many human babies get stressed by hats for some reason. Lots more people have been getting seriously attacked since bicycle helmets have become compulsory.

Put highly reflective sunglasses on the back of your head. Magpies attack in pairs, one will hover in front of you to attract your attention while the other hits you in the back of the head. If there's another set of "eyes" on the back of your head it confuses them.
There was a native marsh near the biology building at college. We were told to wear hats when passing nearby because the red-winged blackbirds would peck at the hats instead of our heads.

I see ravens when canoeing in Canada or northern US. The nest on cliffs and soar on the winds. Their voices a deep croaks.

There are many corvids around here. The Crows drive off any Owls in their preferred territory. A pretty smart dog I know won't tolerate a Raven nearby, but will share a bone with a Magpie. The Magpies are unusual in roofing over their nests to keep the chicks dry, but mortality is high as they fledge. They cannibalize their weaker siblings. It was fun watching the local cat act all innocent as she left after being spotted and scolded by several young Magpies.

New Threads

Top Bottom