• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Receptive language disorder: how can I help my son with ASD understand speech?

Tatimax

His hearing is fine and he understands routine phrases. But when he scripts a movie, I hear that he doesn’t distinguish between speech and all other sounds. So his script might be a set of phrases, dogs barking, and train whistling. I wonder if when I talk, he hears all other sounds besides my speech, mixing them and doesn’t know what to focus on?

Very interesting question.
Is there a possibility of just coming out and asking him?

I tried unsuccessfully. He is 6 and his speech is progressing. He was nonverbal until 4.5 years. Maybe I am too much ahead of the game here and he needs time to figure it all out on his own but what if needs my help and maybe I can help.

I tried unsuccessfully. He is 6 and his speech is progressing. He was nonverbal until 4.5 years. Maybe I am too much ahead of the game here and he needs time to figure it all out on his own but what if needs my help and maybe I can help.
Yes, you could well be looking too deep into this, but your concern as a parent is natural and a sign that you are willing to help him..

I had a speech delay as a child too, but went on to do wonderful things with my positive traits I received from the spectrum.

Does he use pictures/ PECs or sign language/ Makaton to communicate?
We use pecs only to make schedules to indicate for him when events happen in time. He communicates his needs with words (objects, or phi social properties of an object if he doesn’t know it’s name). He can say 2-3 words sentences but when I use 3 words sentences to explain something he gets lost. Especially if I put 2 step directions.

We use pecs only to make schedules to indicate for him when events happen in time. He communicates his needs with words (objects, or phi social properties of an object if he doesn’t know it’s name). He can say 2-3 words sentences but when I use 3 words sentences to explain something he gets lost. Especially if I put 2 step directions.
Do you go to a speech therapist with your son?

Thank you for you reply! We used to visit SLP before COVID. Now it’s hard to find a place and good SLPs at least in our area. We live in Oregon, US. Besides all SLPs we went through put effort on expressive language and not receptive. I teach him myself at home daily using ASD unlocking language curriculum by Marion Blank. He is 6 and very intelligent kid. We don’t go to ABA as well. “Do this, get reward” is not his or my approach. SLPs have tendencies to have approach similar to ABA.

Thank you for you reply! We used to visit SLP before COVID. Now it’s hard to find a place and good SLPs at least in our area. We live in Oregon, US. Besides all SLPs we went through put effort on expressive language and not receptive. I teach him myself at home daily using ASD unlocking language curriculum by Marion Blank. He is 6 and very intelligent kid. We don’t go to ABA as well. “Do this, get reward” is not his or my approach. SLPs have tendencies to have approach similar to ABA.
It sounds like he made quite a lot of progress, you know your child best, so you're definetely helping him.

How are his reading/ writing skills advancing? Written language tends to help a lot of kids with speech delays progress.
I didn't speak in full sentences until Elementary school.
Does the school have ressources to support him? Would he benefit from another SLP? Does the school work together with therapists/ could they make recommendations? (I agree, some therapists still use the 'carrot-and-stick' approach but there are also good ones out there who teach through play and games.)

It sounds like he made quite a lot of progress, you know your child best, so you're definetely helping him.

How are his reading/ writing skills advancing? Written language tends to help a lot of kids with speech delays progress.
I didn't speak in full sentences until Elementary school.
Does the school have ressources to support him? Would he benefit from another SLP? Does the school work together with therapists/ could they make recommendations? (I agree, some therapists still use the 'carrot-and-stick' approach but there are also good ones out there who teach through play and games.)
I pulled him from public school (kindergarten) in March and started homeschooling. Over 3 months at home learned 24 sounds and blending cvc words. He can read sentences like This is a cat. The cat is big. But has problems with th sound. He writes his full name and copies 3-4 words sentences. He is learning sentence structure using bank words. His math is relatively good: counting to 100, addition within 10, knows how to use number line.
Given that all this happen within short period of time and in individual settings, we are moving him to a private school (academic and not therapeutic) for kids with moderate to mild autism.

I pulled him from public school (kindergarten) in March and started homeschooling. Over 3 months at home learned 24 sounds and blending cvc words. He can read sentences like This is a cat. The cat is big. But has problems with th sound. He writes his full name and copies 3-4 words sentences. He is learning sentence structure using bank words. His math is relatively good: counting to 100, addition within 10, knows how to use number line.
Given that all this happen within short period of time and in individual settings, we are moving him to a private school (academic and not therapeutic) for kids with moderate to mild autism.
I didn't know schools for autism specifically exist, at least not in my country, but it does sound like a good option! Good luck to you and your son, all the best!

New Threads

Top Bottom