• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Raw Sugar - Any Thoughts

Where I live raw-ish sugar is cheaper than refined. It seems to make sense that that would be the case, because one would have to pay to build a factory and then pay to staff it to refine it, but I remember in the u.s. that is definitely not the case.

On a related note, my wife and I go with a nearly kosher diet. But we don't do it for religious reasons. (We still eat non-kosher sometimes.) We mostly try to stay kosher to see if it could be healthier for us (and have some indications that it might be).

Now that I have been away from sugar my taste buds have recalibrated: heavy cream in coffee is more than sweet enough, for instance.

WereBear has a good point, it is possible to recalibrate one's tastes to sugar. For example, the seed cakes I used to bake for my family (yes, I looked up this English delicacy because of Bilbo Baggins affinity for them) called for a cup of sugar. I used three quarters cup, while also cutting down by a quarter the sugar in all the things I made, like ice cream. Over time, we started to hate the high sugar levels of baked goods from the store, and I even got a request (from my kids!) to further lower the sugar from seed cakes.

A seed cake is basically a butter cake with half whole wheat flour and half white flour and is flavored with savory seeds, like caraway, anise, cardamom, or fennel. I would often change the recipe a lot, incorporating a plethora of distinct ingredients.

t had caraway seed cake for forty years ,wonder if people ate only the caraway seed version it as its good for indigestion .
never heard of aniseed in country style cakes

Ahh! Streetwise! Is good to hear from you. I'm glad you like the seed cakes too. Caraway is much better to use, as I found out, but the original recipe I found, from and Olde English cookbook had said you could use anise. It's a bit strong and licorice-like, I've also used fennel or coriander. Coriander and caraway are my favorites.

now i understand caraway has a aniseed flavour and i bet aniseed was originally more expensive if you werent financially wealthy
Ahh! Streetwise! Is good to hear from you. I'm glad you like the seed cakes too. Caraway is much better to use, as I found out, but the original recipe I found, from and Olde English cookbook had said you could use anise. It's a bit strong and licorice-like, I've also used fennel or coriander. Coriander and caraway are my favorites.

couldnt remember why we were talking about cakes then i looked sugar !
i was just drinking fevertree tonic water which has fructose as the sweetener it doesnt make me nauseous!!!
:-D

New Threads

Top Bottom