• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rainfly For Tent

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I was planning to buy a rainfly for my tent. The size of the tent is 8 ft by 14ft. I found out the rainfly for the larger version of the tent is cheaper that is 10 ft by 14 ft. Do you think I will be OK using a rainfly that the width is 2 ft bigger than the tent?

It will probably cover a little bit more of the sides of the tent, including the mesh windows. But I don't think it should be a problem getting a larger fly.
It might not fit perfectly like this one though:
cadb1a7b-8ae3-4efc-9907-c38178ee51ec_1.52a7ac8bab9f1a1defa691cf6ce3ec5b.jpeg

If for example it has extendable poles, they might stick out a little farther, and the ties won't be in the right places. You could probably jerry-rig it with rope to attach to the tent ties. Or you could buy a plastic tarpaulin and use that as a kind of flat roof over the tent if you set it up with trees to attach it to.

I'm thinking that, unless the price difference is huge, the poor fit won't be worth the savings. But it depends on the tent. Do you have a picture?

I'm thinking that, unless the price difference is huge, the poor fit won't be worth the savings. But it depends on the tent. Do you have a picture?
The style is similar like the one Mia posted. This is the one that is a bit too big for one side
512FHurRJFL._SX425_.jpg

Here the different on costs. The one is too big is $58.49 CAD with free shipping. The one designed for my tent is about $83.

You could extend it if possible in the front, at the tent entrance and create a little overhang to keep out rain, I've seen tents with fly's like that.

You could extend it if possible in the front, at the tent entrance and create a little overhang to keep out rain, I've seen tents with fly's like that.
I think this is what I might have to do. I found the one the correct sizes in the States for $30 but it is $35 to ship here. After exchange conversion, it is $88.

I will contact Coleman on Monday to see if they have the correct size rainfly at their warehouse and see if they can give me decent price. I still can't get over thing is only $30 in the States. We both know how things cost more here.

I was considering a Coleman tent similar to that that myself. Is it the one that sets up really quick with the poles attached? Let me know how it works out, particularly if you go with the larger size. Mia's idea of the overhang in the front looks like it might work and it's something I think I'd want to have myself. Might give my shoes a bit of a chance of being dry if I forget to bring them in.

Is it the one that sets up really quick with the poles attached?
Yes it is. I did a practice setup in my backyard and took under 5 minutes by myself. The tent does not come with a footprint so I bought a tarp and cut the size a little bit smaller than the tent.

I also bought myself glow in the dark stakes. I'm looking forward using everything next month.

New Threads

Top Bottom