• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quick question

A complication as I see it is that one difference that seems marked between neurotypical people and people who are autistic is that neurotypical people have agendas. So if they are or want to be your friend they will have some reasons for pursuing the friendship that may to us feel problematic or underhand even. Or somehow dishonest. Like, we have a job somewhere they want to work. Or they want us to do something for them, or fulfil a function in their lives that is missing. I think we tend to be simpler. We like them, they seem nice.

I think this is one reason we can be open to manipulation. Because if someone befriends me and is nice to me, I may tend to just think it's a friendship, not think about agendas etc. Some agendas will be very benign, though, they admire a skill we have and they think we are witty and quirky in a good way, and like to be with us to share these traits we have. But also they collect others to be around them, and we are suitable. Maybe those are the better friends.
I think you have nailed my experience, especially as a young person. I bet I could still be taken in by that, were I to give anyone a chance.

I think you have nailed my experience, especially as a young person. I bet I could still be taken in by that, were I to give anyone a chance.
I was just saying this to someone!

I said, “Thinx really hit the nail on the head for me just now.”

@Thinx, you described my experience and concerns exactly, as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom