• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions about photography?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
Do you you enjoy it?
I mean do you enjoy it as a technical thing or a creative thing or both?
I like it creatively, it is not about perfection to me but just about finding a beautiful/fun image and taking a photo.

I recently started making a lot of photos, and it's both very meditative and challenging to me, to find the best object and angle at the ideal time frame. And I like later sitting and working on those photos.

Most definitely one of my most primary special interests that is more or less around 39 years old. Longer even if I go back to high school when I was taught to develop my own black and white film. About a dozen years later I got my first single-lens-reflex 35mm camera (Canon AE-1 Program) and started taking adult education classes to learn better technical skills and composition. Loved it both technically and creatively, though I always thought composition was my weak point.

I would go on to have two girlfriends at different times who also found photography to be a passion of theirs as well. Fun times. One loved to pose for pictures which got me into portrait photography, while the other (I met in photography school) had a much keener sense of composition that I could ever have. Plus she was using a professional level of equipment at the time. And I was developing my own black and white film images using a secondary walk-in closet as an improvised darkroom. Didn't have the best equipment, but it was a lot of fun nevertheless.

Later my photography hobby would take a backseat to another hobby that profoundly became a special interest- website design. A skill that I enjoyed so much I began to pursue the idea of doing such work professionally, which involved an industry demand to be proficient using Photoshop.

About a decade later while I was no longer doing website design so much, the digital camera craze took off and I would later buy my first digital camera. Wow. Everything changed when I started applying my Photoshop skills to the digital images I had created using my camera. A "perfect storm" of applying my technical skills and creativity. Where I could optimize so many issues of each picture I took far, far beyond anything I could achieve in my improvised darkroom. And not just in black and white, but also color. To this day I have so much fun improving and altering images in a "digital darkroom" (my computer) that doesn't require any chemicals, let alone a pitch-black closet.

LOL...though my sense of composition has yet to get beyond the "mediocre" stage. Oh well...I love it anyways. :cool:

Last edited:
Most definitely one of my most primary special interests that is more or less around 39 years old. Longer even if I go back to high school when I was taught to develop my own black and white film. About a dozen years later I got my first single-lens-reflex 35mm camera (Canon AE-1 Program) and started taking adult education classes to learn better technical skills and composition. Loved it both technically and creatively, though I always thought composition was my weak point.

I would go on to have two girlfriends at different times who also found photography to be a passion of theirs as well. Fun times. One loved to pose for pictures which got me into portrait photography, while the other (I met in photography school) had a much keener sense of composition that I could ever have. Plus she was using a professional level of equipment at the time. And I was developing my own black and white film images using a secondary walk-in closet as an improvised darkroom. Didn't have the best equipment, but it was a lot of fun nevertheless.

Later my photography hobby would take a backseat to another hobby that profoundly became a special interest- website design. A skill that I enjoyed so much I began to pursue the idea of doing such work professionally, which involved an industry demand to be proficient using Photoshop.

About a decade later while I was no longer doing website design so much, the digital camera craze took off and I would later buy my first digital camera. Wow. Everything changed when I started applying my Photoshop skills to the digital images I had created using my camera. A "perfect storm" of applying my technical skills and creativity. Where I could optimize so many issues of each picture I took far, far beyond anything I could achieve in my improvised darkroom. And not just in black and white, but also color. To this day I have so much fun improving and altering images in a "digital darkroom" (my computer) that doesn't require any chemicals, let alone a pitch-black closet.

LOL...though my sense of composition has yet to get beyond the "mediocre" stage. Oh well...I love it anyways. :cool:
Can I see your photos? 👀

Can I see your photos? 👀
I post them periodically on this site. You might start with the pictures/video vault section. But there are plenty of members who shoot better images than myself.

Some of them can be found here...though in this section some people display images they shot themselves while others are just posting existing online images created by others.

There are others, but trying to find them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. :oops:

Last edited:
I enjoy the challenge of underwater photography. Being able to be neutrally boyant as I line up a shot, framing it, and perhaps catching some behavior. Like this of an Octopus, glaring at me as it was having a meal of a crab.
Octopus With Meal.jpg

I did these awhile back:

It's not exactly something I have any skill in though, so I dont do it very often.

If I do produce something good, well, it's generally like that one with the bird at the top: just luck. I wave my phone camera at things and maybe something interesting comes of it, but usually not.

What I can do though is get creative (weird) with alterations afterwards. Like, I did this:

jQLGjWm.jpg

CYdcpBw.jpg

The first one was the original photo... my stepmother took that, with the intention of turning it into a gift for my father's birthday (as that sign has meaning to him). She did this at like midnight (I still dont know why) and handed it to me and just said to "do something" with it.

So I turned it into whatever that second image is. They seemed to like it a lot and so I drastically enlarged it and then they had it framed, it's enormous and hangs on the wall.

This isnt exactly something I do very often though.

Attachments

• bcRrfvz.jpg
    bcRrfvz.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 6
  • jQLGjWm.jpg
    jQLGjWm.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 5
  • CYdcpBw.jpg
    CYdcpBw.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 7
I have two stereo realist cameras and love experimenting with stereo photography. I also have pokescope software that I can use to render pairs of digital photos and like it when I can get long baselines, like the following of Mount hood taken from a jet. If you are good you can eyeball it, otherwise you need a viewer.

Mount Hood 0606.jpg

I post them periodically on this site. You might start with the pictures/video vault section. But there are plenty of members who shoot better images than myself.

Some of them can be found here...though in this section some people display images they shot themselves while others are just posting existing online images created by others.

There are others, but trying to find them is like looking for a needle in a haystack. :oops:
Damn they look so good, wow!
Maybe you should make an album in your profile, and throw your photos in there too, to not search for them all around the forum? :)

I mean do you enjoy it as a technical thing or a creative thing or both?
I enjoy both aspects, but I am trending towards creative over time. I have enough experience with using cameras that dialing in the settings is so automatic for me now that I barely notice what I'm shooting with when I am in the zone. My camera feels like more of a conduit to me.

I used to enjoy photographing trains. Sort of gave it up about a decade and a half ago as my camera body got damp and failed to work. (Was one that did the complicated settings for me). Only replacement body was one that I had to do more myself and I was a bit scared to mess it up as films are not cheap, so I left it. Today we can't get films or get them developed so I dropped the idea of taking photos, as most train photos need to have a decent lens to zoom in as many areas are not that accessible, so one has to find a more distant area.
I was told if I wanted to go digital, I needed a computer and needed to buy new lenses all over again so I sort of let the idea drop after that.

Often though it would be nice to take photos and put them on postcards. I had some lovely ideas of interesting photos, but I don't have a clue these days as films are not available and am told that those printing firms only do digital.

I do take photos on my tablet but this tablet can only store a few and now and then I need to reset the tablet to keep it working, so photos go when I do that. I have put photos on a model railway site I am on. That is the only thing I do and I can only do it on one site as I cant downsize things. Can only crop them. Am not technical so I panic when people say apps! Don't sign up to things I don'tfully understand if I can help it!

[Please delete link if I am not supposed to put it].

I was told if I wanted to go digital, I needed a computer and needed to buy new lenses all over again so I sort of let the idea drop after that.
If you want to be able to edit photos you're far better off with a real computer instead of a tablet, but it can be done. Modern cameras can connect to your tablet by wifi or bluetooth as well as upload to cloud services.

And if your old lenses are of a popular name brand then you can still use them. In some cases an adapter might be needed for the fitting but if you've got Canon or Nikon then they'll just fit straight away. Newer lenses have some great features that I really like though, the AI controlled autofocus is pretty good and for those hand held long shots antishake makes a world of difference.

The beauty of not using film is the cost. Photography back in the days of film was a very expensive hobby, now the only cost is what you pay for your camera and lenses.

In some cases an adapter might be needed for the fitting but if you've got Canon or Nikon then they'll just fit straight away.
I am using a variety of old manual focus lenses with my Canon EOS R5. Some use a Pentax PK to EF adapter, which goes onto my EF to RF adapter. Some are M42 and use my M42 to RF adapter. They all focus to infinity and the quality is excellent.

Wisp o' the willow, Strathmore, Alberta, 2024-02-02, Helios 44m-2 58mm f2

The last ones to leave the party, Kinsmen Park, Strathmore, Alberta, 2024-01-27, Helios 44m-2 58mm f2 (Ilford 50 Pan F simulated)

Meeting your first love again, Ray with Kodak Instamatic X-15F, Leduc, Alberta, 2024-01-13, Pentacon Electric 50mm f1.8 Red MC, M42

Patio, Four Sisters Kitchen + Table Restaurant (Sepia), Strathmore, AB, 2023-11-21, SMC Pentax-M 28mm f2.8

Losing the Light, Walterdale Bridge, Edmonton, AB, 2023-11-11, Sears Auto MC 50mm f1.7

The most expensive of those lenses was the Helios at $80 CDN. I scored the Sears 50mm at a garage sale for $5 CDN. ;)

If you want to be able to edit photos you're far better off with a real computer instead of a tablet, but it can be done. Modern cameras can connect to your tablet by wifi or bluetooth as well as upload to cloud services.

And if your old lenses are of a popular name brand then you can still use them. In some cases an adapter might be needed for the fitting but if you've got Canon or Nikon then they'll just fit straight away. Newer lenses have some great features that I really like though, the AI controlled autofocus is pretty good and for those hand held long shots antishake makes a world of difference.

The beauty of not using film is the cost. Photography back in the days of film was a very expensive hobby, now the only cost is what you pay for your camera and lenses.
Mine is a Minolta. Bought a lens that I think went between something like 28 to 200 as the lens with the camera only went up to 80 which did not zoom in enough. Is autofocus.
Years ago was on a computer but it gave up. Went for a tablet as could not afford a computer.

Went for a tablet as could not afford a computer.
If you are on an Android tablet there is an excellent, free photo editor called Snapseed you may enjoy using. In terms of storage, you get free unlimited photo storage if you have Amazon Prime. You may have lots of storage without realizing it.

New Threads

Top Bottom