• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questions about obsessions/crushes

Ruby

Is it creepy to have lots of photos of your crush on your iPad, on your wall and in your wardrobe? Is this normal, acceptable or common for autistics?

What's the difference between just a crush and an obsession with a crush?
How can you not be obsessed with your crush/lover?
Is it okay/normal to be obsessed with your crush? How about autistics?
Does an obsession involve obsessive behaviours, or is it just the way you feel towards someone?
If you are obsessed with your crush, then what's the big deal? Isn't it just like any other obsession autistics have?
Why can't we just enjoy our obsession without others saying things that are against having that obsession?
Why do people think obsessions are bad when it makes you so happy and fulfils your life?
Why do people get annoyed by your obsessions even if you don't involve them or don't talk about them unless they do?
Why don't people just accept you for your obsession, let you have it and not be critical?
What's the problem with having an obsession?

A crush is induced by sexual chemistry: 'You are attracted to someone, but how do you know when they are interested in you?'
An obsession is when you are too timid to confront with your sexual attraction (i.e. becoming a stalker), or being in complete denial after break-up, divorce, et cetera (i.e. violating restraining order). Overcoming the aforementioned obsessions, via confrontation or ratification, is how on may not be obsessed.

Is it creepy to have lots of photos of your crush on your iPad, on your wall and in your wardrobe? Is this normal, acceptable or common for autistics?

What's the difference between just a crush and an obsession with a crush?
How can you not be obsessed with your crush/lover?
Is it okay/normal to be obsessed with your crush? How about autistics?
Does an obsession involve obsessive behaviours, or is it just the way you feel towards someone?
If you are obsessed with your crush, then what's the big deal? Isn't it just like any other obsession autistics have?
Why can't we just enjoy our obsession without others saying things that are against having that obsession?
Why do people think obsessions are bad when it makes you so happy and fulfils your life?
Why do people get annoyed by your obsessions even if you don't involve them or don't talk about them unless they do?
Why don't people just accept you for your obsession, let you have it and not be critical?
What's the problem with having an obsession?

1. Yes, it's creepy, and no, it's not normal. It doesn't matter whether you're autistic.

2. Well, treating the "crushee" like a person and not an idol to worship certainly helps . . .

3. Obsession---real obsession---is never healthy, on or off the autism spectrum. (I say this because people tend to throw the word "obsession" around too casually. Example: "I'm obsessed with this TV show! I watch it every week!")

4. Yes. Obsessive behaviors are part of an obsession.

5. No, it's not. And you're forgetting that there's a big difference between a strong interest or favorite hobby and a full-blown obsession. Obsessions rule a person's entire life. That's not a healthy way to live. Ever.

6. See answer #5.

7. See answer # 5.

8. I doubt very much that anybody who is concerned about someone's obsession is truly annoyed. Your sister, for instance, is probably just worried about what may happen.

9. See answer #5.

10. See answer #5.

New Threads

Top Bottom