1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question about a discussion convention on the forum I've never seen before

Discussion in 'Site Questions, Suggestions & Feedback' started by SDRSpark, Aug 13, 2019.

1. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Active Member V.I.P Member

I've never seen this before on any forum, so I figured I'd ask before I inadvertently step on any toes (because it's not something I would have thought to do!)

In another thread on this forum, the topic is childhood abuse, and people are censoring words for sexual abuse in creative ways (for example: rxpe). I did a double take but was able to figure out what was meant by the censored words.

I've never seen this done before anywhere (most places use "trigger warning" followed by a spoiler tag, I'm used to seeing that).

Is this the rule/convention for this forum, or is it just something that those particular individuals choose to do? If it's something I'm supposed to be doing, I want to make sure I understand it so I can comply.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

Those spellings were idiosyncratic to the members who used them.
    It is not a convention or rule here to do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. SDRSpark

OK, good to know. Thanks!!! I noticed multiple people doing it and no one not doing it, so I wanted to be sure.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GadAbout

GadAbout Well-Known Member

Some forums censor certain words, by an automatic process. So users who want to use those words adopt some form of leet, for instance, $#!T or [email protected] This habit may have begun in a different site but persisted here.

5. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

Actually, work-arounds, or mis-spellings intended to circumvent the censor are not advised.

Generally it is preferable to use another word altogether.
    There is a forum-wide Language Policy here.
    Please Be Advised

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SDRSpark

I've run into this on other forums. The problem is, I use those self-censoring styles on FB and the like, so I actually have to remember that it's considered an attempt to defeat the automatic censorship on forums. Because that's genuinely not what goes through my mind when I do it, and I got called out for it on another forum. It hadn't occurred to me that censoring myself would be bad.

7. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

The problem with censoring it ourselves is that it does literally nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SDRSpark

I don't disagree. It's just a thing I'm used to doing literally everywhere else lol. It's almost a comedic thing at this point (it's done in several comics that I follow/read regularly for instance.) It's not even really censorship at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1