• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Queensland (Australia) study links pot to psychosis

V.I.P Member
Wake-up call for teen pot smokers
NICOLE OSTROW
February 28, 2010

http://www.smh.com.au/national/wakeup-call-for-teen-pot-smokers-20100227-pa3o.html

YOUNG adults who used marijuana as teens were more likely than those who didn't to develop schizophrenia and psychotic symptoms, a seven-year Australian study found.

Those who used the drug for six or more years were twice as likely to develop a psychosis such as schizophrenia or to have delusional disorders than those who never used it.

Research involving more than 3800 young adults, released online by the Archives of General Psychiatry, found long-term users were also four times more likely to have psychotic-like experiences.

The findings, by the Queensland Brain Institute at the University of Queensland, build on previous research and shows that marijuana use is not as harmless as some people think, lead study author John McGrath said yesterday in an email.

The researchers quizzed 3801 young adults who were born in Brisbane between 1981 and 1984. The participants, whose average age was about 20, were asked about marijuana use. The researchers also measured whether those in the study had psychotic symptoms.

The study was the first to look at sibling pairs to discount genetic or environmental influence and still find marijuana linked to later psychosis, the authors said.

''This is the most convincing evidence yet that the earlier you use cannabis, the more likely you are to have symptoms of a psychotic illness,'' said Dr McGrath, a professor at the institute, in a statement. ''The message for teenagers is: if they choose to use cannabis they have to understand there's a risk involved.''

Researchers were looking for causes of schizophrenia, Dr McGrath said.

Of the 1272 participants who had never used marijuana, 26 (2 per cent) were diagnosed with psychosis. Of the 322 people who had used marijuana for six or more years, 12 (3.7 per cent) were diagnosed with the illness. Overall, 65 people were diagnosed with psychosis, the study said.

The researchers also found those who used marijuana the longest were four times more likely than those who didn't to have the highest scores derived from a list of psychotic-like experiences.

Dr McGrath said even those who used marijuana for fewer than three years still had an increased risk of scoring higher than those who had not.

''Apart from the implications for policy makers and health planners, we hope our findings will encourage further clinical and animal-model research to unravel the mechanisms linking cannabis use and psychosis,'' the authors wrote.

Those in the study were interviewed at the ages of 14 and 21, so the symptoms emerged between those two study periods, Dr McGrath said.

The study also showed that among 228 sibling pairs, those who didn't use marijuana reported fewer psychotic-like delusions compared with those who used cannabis. That difference was statistically significant and reduces the likelihood that the psychotic problems were caused by genetics or environment, the authors said.

The study was funded by the National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia.

We've had this discussion before.

Really, unless you believe in very big conspiracy theories, these results are pretty significant. There were 3800 participants, so they didn't just pull a couple of stoners out of the local high school.

Of course, the results show a relational link but do not prove a causal link. As has been pointed out many times, there is a possibility that those with a tendency to schizophrenia or psychosis are more likely to use marijuana in the first place - a form of self-medicating.

Still, the results tie in with my own observations over the years.

I can agree with this one actually. I am still a little leery of studies that don't show a page link to all the different pursued criteria and findings, but still this looks pretty legit.

I am always telling younger people that if they choose to do marijuana that they should do so after they are at least most way through their teen years, if not longer. Too bad they don't always understand it the way I see it.

the study is hardly a surprise really, i mean a drug that affects basically how efficiently the brain operates on a developing brain, of course it is going to **** something up

Here's an interesting rebuttal:
[quote name='Buzzby' date='27 February 2010 - 04:25 PM]I'm still trying to figure out why a tremendous rise in marijuana use has not translated into a tremendous rise in schizophrenia. The rate of that diagnosis has remained constant at around 1% of the population.

I'd say the figures quoted reflect a confusion between cause and effect. The reason there is a disproportionate number of schizophrenics in the sample is not that marijuana use causes schizophrenia. The reason is that a disproportionate percentage of schizophrenics smoke marijuana. The ones with whom I've discussed this tell me that weed eases their symptoms.

I'd say that this paragraph supports that analysis:

"This demonstrates the complexity of the relationship: those individuals who were vulnerable to psychosis [i.e., those who had isolated psychotic symptoms] were more likely to commence cannabis use, which could then subsequently contribute to an increased risk of conversion to a non-affective psychotic disorder," wrote the study authors.[/quote]
http://www.marijuana.com/drug-war-headline-news/141556-au-marijuana-use-can-up-psychosis-risk.html

Given the statistics provided, I wonder if marijuana is just pushing forward dormant influences of psychosis (trust me, this is used all the time as an excuse for medication 'exasperating' dormant symptoms and disorders) that otherwise could show up at another time.

I have been diagnosed with psychosis and i dont take illegal drugs. its in my bpd diagnosis and my paranoia is too

It's been known for years that cannabis can cause psychosis and lead to psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia and depression.

And I agree that it can.

....I wonder if marijuana is just pushing forward dormant influences of psychosis (trust me, this is used all the time as an excuse for medication 'exasperating' dormant symptoms and disorders) that otherwise could show up at another time.

As I said in post #2, the figures show a relational link but not a causal link.

I'm not entirely sure that people should be taking a drug that "pushes forward" the symptoms of something like psychosis, schizophrenia or depression.

The fact that cannabis can cause schizophrenia and such is well know, but what many dont know is that the only chance to get it is if you have it in your familytree, same with the psychosis. And the state of mind that some choose to call cannabis-psychosis is infact just a bad experience with nasty flashbacks and not a real psychosis.

Just thought I'd give you all some facts. (I smoke cannabis myself once in awhile cause it helps me with alot of things, I don't overdo it cause I know the side effects of it) And it has been one of my obsessions for a few years now, used to digg out every piece of trustworthy fact I could find about it, hard to sort it out from all the propaganda tho...

The problem in schools when it comes to all drugs (not just pot) seems to be that people can't control it. They either do it every day and become fulltime addicts or do it too often which causes heavy side effects. I live in a university town myself and here 30% of all the students have alcohol problems. Sad really , cause it causes so many problems. Heroin seems to be rather common aswell, which even worse...

So whatever you do, don't overdo ANYTHING, this goes for coffee or food aswell ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom