• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Prosopagnosia (Face Blindness)

Are you challenged by Prosopagnosia (Face blindness)

• Yes, 100% of the time

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No, not at all.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Yes, but only 50% of the time

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Yes, but rarely, takes me by surprise (no pattern to it)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but only with those who I see infrequently.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Yes, but only with new people I have seen a couple of times.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

DogzSpirit

Constantly evolving. Friends welcome.
V.I.P Member
Curious as to the numbers of those here who deal with face blindness.

When in public sales where you are required to go up to and sell, there were
advantages and disadvantages to my wiring. I started to notice that I couldn't recognize whom I had previously approached, and customers would laugh and say, ya already sold that to me. One woman whom I had approached said, in a rather surprisingly nasty way... You do not remember me? You are handicapped. That is ok, I work with the handicapped.

This has always happened.
Most of the time it happens with those I infrequently see.
Other times, it happens if the person I see has been taken out of the normal
environment I am accustomed to seeing them in.

It can be a person (teacher) who I do weekly volunteer in classroom work with.
In that case I may be at a checkout in a grocery store, and not connect their face as a result of that environment, which is no longer in the 'picture'.
In one case I had to turn to my son who was in 2nd grade and whisper... quick... who is that?
He turned to me and said What??? That is my kindergarten teacher mom! So embarrassing,
as I try to stay under the radar and not let on!

In another case, a woman comes up to me, leaving her place in line to ask how are ya? I say fine, and ask how she is.. totally flustered and embarrassed. That was the low for me, for she seemed to think I was weird. That last one was hard, for after wracking my brain, I remembered whom she was and somehow my response may have hurt her.

I mentioned in another post, when my dog is with me, I know to just respond like I really know the person and go into a lively Hey how are you? I just take his word this is a friend for how he greats the person with recognition in stead of comfort mode. Comfort mode he reserves for new people. Recognition mode is for people he and I have met. That is, unless he doesn't like the person, in which case for some reason, I never forget a face of a person my dog doesn't trust lol. It is worth noting *really noting!* which people he doesn't like for I stay at a distance from those. He also knows if a friend is at a crowded large indoor or outdoor market in Mexico. He sniffs them out, literally.

This pooch is very social and likes having friends. We call friends that pass our combined sniff test, Perro Amigos. My dogs presence acts as a buffer socially for me, as we get lots of dog lovers coming up to us. But again that's yet another topic!

I have problems recognizing old women and men and people of color especially. I can't tell the difference by looking at their faces. There has to be an outstanding feature to distinguish them otherwise they pretty much all look the same to me. It was difficult when I worked in a nursing home and embarrassing when I ran across people I know in public.

Depends. If theres an unusual feature or their face doesn't change much then sure I can probably recall them. Otherwise no.

I voted 100% but only because it is nearer the truth than my experience.
It's embarrassing when a friend you see in one place appears somewhere else and that throws me.

Had this happen at private club. There were several men that were dead ringers for their twin brother. Then some men just are nondescript, or their wife is nondescript.

I am sure l will be nondescript or l am already. It happens, we age, and our body parts all run together. Lol

Yes, about 50% of the time. About 30% being those who I see infrequently, and another 20% are people who are out of their usual context. I remember a name and what car they drive, but not their face.
I first became aware of this when a girl I didn't know came up to me at school and said 'hi.' I just looked at her, puzzled. Had no idea who she was! 'It's me, J,' she said. It was a girl who I was friends with and who I saw everyday, who had had a haircut!

I have a certain degree of prosopagnosia, but I've gotten reasonably good at working around it.

It has caused me problems recently, as the COVID epidemic inspired me to return to working in a hospital (I work in healthcare, and the epidemic meant that everyone with credentials should do their part), and I didn't anticipate that the surgical masks would make my facial blindness worse.

My prosopagnosia led my co-workers to assume that I'm racist, as my colleagues would say to me "All us black folks look alike to you, huh?" when I confused peoples' names.

The current climate of hightened sensitivity toward racism (because of George Floyd's murder, and Breonna Taylor's death at the hands of a SWAT team busting into her home late at night) doesn't help issues when the administration wants to prove how they're rooting out racism in the organization.

I have a certain degree of prosopagnosia, but I've gotten reasonably good at working around it.

It has caused me problems recently, as the COVID epidemic inspired me to return to working in a hospital (I work in healthcare, and the epidemic meant that everyone with credentials should do their part), and I didn't anticipate that the surgical masks would make my facial blindness worse.

My prosopagnosia led my co-workers to assume that I'm racist, as my colleagues would say to me "All us black folks look alike to you, huh?" when I confused peoples' names.

The current climate of hightened sensitivity toward racism (because of George Floyd's murder, and Breonna Taylor's death at the hands of a SWAT team busting into her home late at night) doesn't help issues when the administration wants to prove how they're rooting out racism in the organization.

Yeah. Where prosopagnosia can be quite problematic at times, yet few people may truly understand what is happening in real time. Pretty disturbing when I occasionally cannot identify someone by face alone, and cannot rationalize why. :eek:

I warn my students on the first day--I am really, really bad with faces and I will do my best (I have gotten better over the years!) to learn names, but if I see them out of context they'd better be prepared to remind me who they are. They usually get a good laugh out of this and only later find that I'm quite serious.

For me, it’s most people, but not one hundred percent. A few faces I recognize, but only if I find something distinctive, not based on how familiar I am with a person.

Recently I watched a TV show, I recognized one actor immediately, but then spent the entire season confused because I couldn’t tell most of the people apart.

I voted "Yes but only with those that I see infrequently". But the truth is more "Yes but mostly with people I am not interested in"

My husband in the other had has a hard time with celebrity faces. He mistakes one for another constantly. He also can't tell acquaintences apart if he has only met them once or twice.

New Threads

Top Bottom