• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems with speech/voice?

As a kid I was very shy, quiet and I mumbled a lot. Becoming an adult and working jobs requiring constant communication with customers has forced me into coming off more assertive than I really am. Since I require more time to think before speaking, being 'put on the spot' generally makes words come out of my mouth like a terrible train wreck of jumbled gibberish. I've always likened my communication to individual words on puzzle pieces which must be sorted out one piece at a time and put together before any sense can be made. Becoming nervous before speaking is like scattering those pieces all over the floor.

Being the quiet, sit in the background type, I always spend a couple of seconds formulating a second before speaking, in those cases I am fine.

When I am having a one on one conversation with someone where I don't have 10+ seconds to think and "pre-record" the speech, I often find myself randomly stopping mid-sentence and being completely unable to remember what I was saying, and the word I was trying to say, often the point I was even trying to put across.

Problems with my voice-for many many years. Shy as a kid & teenager...in my twenties I took a speech making class & that helped a lot. Then I did some volunteer work and had to spoke in front of groups. It's weird, sometimes I can be good, electric and charismatic. Other times I'm...uh...ah...well while my voice carries I still can't control it 100%. My son has the same problems and I think it's related to self esteem.

New Threads

Top Bottom