• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Problems with Deal with others in the Workplace.

Rayner

I have a difficult time dealing with people especially in a professional context. Today the construction project I have been working on was completed. Since my boss was impressed with my work he has made me a supervisor on a upcoming project. I'm happy that my boss is impressed with me enough to make me a supervisor.

However the construction industry has a very loose hierarchy, as a result the amount of unwritten social rules,social conventions, social dynamics is astronomically high. On top of that the reputation you have, the impressions you create, and the experience you carry is vital to being successful.

Does anyone have this problem with poor social skills hindering (or possibly hindering) your job performance?

Does anyone have any suggestions of way to cope with it?

Finally. what is your experience with being social in the workplace or perhaps does anyone any stories to share?

Last edited:
I have a difficult time dealing with people especially in a professional context. Today the construction project I have been working on was completed. Since my boss was impressed with my work he has made me a supervisor on a upcoming project. I'm happy that my boss is impressed with me enough to make me a supervisor.

However the construction industry has a very loose hierarchy, as a result the amount of unwritten social rules,social conventions, social dynamics is astronomically high. On top of that the reputation you have, the impressions you create, and the experience you carry is vital to being successful.

Does anyone have this problem with poor social skills hindering (or possibly hindering) your job performance?

Does anyone have any suggestions of way to cope with it?

Finally. what is your experience with being social in the workplace or perhaps does anyone any stories to share?

Rayner, I hear you ... I really do. Congrats on the promotion! The social dynamic of the workplace has been a lifelong issue for me, and to this day, I still have not been able to figure it out. It's such an abstraction that I've just about plum given up. I truly wish I was able to help you but this reaches the maximum of deduction ability.

It got so bad at the end of last week that I pulled the trigger on an independent contractor gig with FedEx Custom Critical. I start in three weeks. I'll give my notice to the bus company this Friday. Finally I have an escape from the rat race.

Rayner, I hear you ... I really do. Congrats on the promotion! The social dynamic of the workplace has been a lifelong issue for me, and to this day, I still have not been able to figure it out. It's such an abstraction that I've just about plum given up. I truly wish I was able to help you but this reaches the maximum of deduction ability.

It got so bad at the end of last week that I pulled the trigger on an independent contractor gig with FedEx Custom Critical. I start in three weeks. I'll give my notice to the bus company this Friday. Finally I have an escape from the rat race.

That's great your getting started with independent contractor gig.

I think most Aspies have difficulty with social skills, working to change them a little bit at a time helps, being more open but also being yourself is what you have to work at.
Your lucky that you are in an industry that does not require pasted on fake smiles and friendliness at every turn.
One of the best bosses I ever had, said very little, let me do my job without interference but some guidance.

I think most Aspies have difficulty with social skills, working to change them a little bit at a time helps, being more open but also being yourself is what you have to work at.
Your lucky that you are in an industry that does not require pasted on fake smiles and friendliness at every turn.
One of the best bosses I ever had, said very little, let me do my job without interference but some guidance.

Yeah that is one good part and working outdoors. Although my industry is one that requires dealing with lots of rough and tumble type of people. To do that I have learned to be rough and tumble as well.

Yeah you do have to talk their language, whatever it might be. But Aspies, we learn to be chameleons pretty quickly. Worked on a dry wall and plaster and painting crew for awhile, and I learned to work fast and not say very much. Being one of two females in the entire crew wasn't easy, there were all kinds of remarks that I learned to ignore and just did my job. I've always liked physical work, it makes me feel alive. Much more so than computer or office or restaurant work.

New Threads

Top Bottom