• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Privacy in Technology

pacman

With the recent slew of news articles on the NSA's massive surveillance program, I thought it would be a good idea to ask everyone what their thoughts and opinions on this are.

Information and news articles:
NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily | World news | The Guardian

U.S., British intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program - The Washington Post

Why Privacy Matters Even if You Have 'Nothing to Hide' - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

This has actually been known for a while, but only recently has it been getting a lot of press. The companies mentioned in the second link are Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, Paltalk, Skype, AOL, Youtube, and Apple.

I'll post my opinions on this after work, as I need to get going.

With the recent slew of news articles on the NSA's massive surveillance program, I thought it would be a good idea to ask everyone what their thoughts and opinions on this are.

Information and news articles:
NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily | World news | The Guardian

U.S., British intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program - The Washington Post

Why Privacy Matters Even if You Have 'Nothing to Hide' - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

This has actually been known for a while, but only recently has it been getting a lot of press. The companies mentioned in the second link are Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, Paltalk, Skype, AOL, Youtube, and Apple.

I'll post my opinions on this after work, as I need to get going.

Thanks for posting this and helping to keep it in the spotlight. Too much to say about this... For now, I will just say this...

This is yet another issue and example of the NEW NORMAL. People will make jokes about it, make excuses in favor of it, or simply just acquiesce entirely. I've been so sick of hearing about the same tired narrative which they have used over and over again to hoodwink the people into accepting more nonsense. People need to understand that HEAVY psychology is and has been at play here. (don't worry...it's normal now...everything is fine...it's for your freedom....it's for your safety...its to %$#! you....its all for you....its all for me.... LAND OF THE FREE! Hummmm....

This also applies to so many issues that impact the lives of everyone.

Again, there is far too much to say about all of this... Bottom line is this... The people never lost their power they are just led to believe they have none... Do things seem hopeless right now? Yup. But that's just an illusion...People can empower the illusion and continue or pursue the alternative. What do the people want?

Unfortunately in the U.S. it makes no difference whether the party in power is Democratic or Republican. The fourth amendment of the U.S. Constitution was adopted to prevent the government from intruding into our privacy:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It is a tragedy that the fear of terrorism has blinded Americans to the importance of our freedom from government snooping.

When I was a child in the 1950s the United States government issued social security cards to working adults. I remember my grandparent's concern that this card could turn into a Federal I.D. Card and provide the government with a means to gather data on citizens. This was in the aftermath of World War II when the spector of European tyranny was fresh in the minds of the public. It is sad that we have forgotten so much in the last sixty-five years.

When I was a child in the 1950s the United States government issued social security cards to working adults. I remember my grandparent's concern that this card could turn into a Federal I.D. Card and provide the government with a means to gather data on citizens. This was in the aftermath of World War II when the spector of European tyranny was fresh in the minds of the public. It is sad that we have forgotten so much in the last sixty-five years.

Yeah, most people don't seem to care or notice about small and slow things that build up over time. We've come a log way since social security cards.

So now that I have time to talk about this, I will share my opinions.

Basically, privacy is an important right that all people should have. There's really no justification or defense for a massive surveillance program and that would be true even if terrorism was actually a significant threat. While government surveillance is a huge problem, what's even more disturbing is how most Americans react to this type of surveillance, be it coming from the government or from large corporations like Microsoft or Google. Most Americans seem to take the attitude that this stuff is OK because they personally have nothing to hide or that only those who are doing something wrong are those who would fear. Most people are more than happy to give up their right to privacy so they can use some software or service that they find immediately convenient. Most people think that those who care about privacy are a bunch of paranoid tinfoil hat wearing nutjobs or criminals, which is absolutely not the case. Most people don't realize that the loss of privacy is a slow process. There's an old proverb. A frog that jump sinto a pot of boiling water instantly jumps out. A frog that jumps into warm water that's slowly being heated stays and gets cooked alive. The American people are in the slowly heated warm water.

I'm going to say a small amount about the nine companies in the second link I posted, their products, and what you can do if you use their products/services.

Web services in general: Use an adblocker on all of your browsers. Ads can contain malicious software and can install it on your computer without your knowledge or consent. Noscript is also a good firefox plugin to have. Also, learn to use Tor. Other services (which I still haven't tried) are i2p and freenet. Use one (or more) of these for your web browsing at home. Note: The part about ads/noscript is from the cybersecurity training I had to do for my job.

Microsoft: Microsoft has had known backdoors in their products (see _NSAKEY). If you use Windows, switch to a different operating system, preferably either a Linux or BSD based OS. If you use MS Office, completely remove it from your system and switch to LibreOffice or something similar. If you use Microsoft Silverlight (you do if you use Netflix), remove it as it is DRM software. DRM software is typically used to enforce copyright laws and the enforcers simply don't give two shits about your privacy. Stop using skydrive.

Yahoo and Google: Stop using their web services. If you go to a school or have a job that uses gmail as their email service, then I guess that's acceptable, but don't use google's web interface. If you have a government job, then I suppose that it would be ok to use google or yahoo from that account (work stuff only) since they will be monitoring you anyways.

Facebook: If you are going to keep an account, learn how to use the privacy settings. Even if you set your profile to be private, always act as if you are posting stuff completely publicly and that anyone can see it, regardless of whether or not they know you.

Paltalk: Never heard of them. I guess I'll stay away from them.

Skype: Uninstall it and find something else for video chat, preferably something open source. I hear that pidgin so good, but I haven't used it.

AOL: Seriously who the hell still uses that crap?

Youtube: Youtube uses Adobe Flash for their videos, although some work with html5. Remove adobe flash from your operating system. Flash can be scripted, and it also can be manipulated to access files on your computer without your knowledge or consent (see my comment about ads for an example). There are ways to watch pretty much any youtube video without having flash on your machine.

Apple: Avoid like the plague. There have been times when Apple has left major security holes in their software open for years despite being well informed about them. They also love to use DRM technology. I mentioned earlier about using BSD operating systems. Mac OS X is the exception to that. If you use that, remove it from your machine and install something else.

Remember, it's up to you to take control of your privacy and it might not be easy. The government doesn't give a crap about it and neither do major corporations.

If you need to use any of the above software/services for a job, then it's probably best to use them on either an OS that is only used for work or use an OS running in a virtual machine for those specific tasks. That's mainly for stuff that requires you to install software on your computer in order for you to use it. For stuff that is exclusively on the internet (no plugins required), it probably doesn't matter as much, but to be safe, see the section in this post about web services.

New Threads

Top Bottom