• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Photography after dark... Why do I beat my head against a wall

Back in the day of silver-based photography, images like this would be close to impossible without high-speed film, a very wide aperture, and rock-steady hands.

Ah, the joy of pushing High-speed Ektachrome to ASA 400 and shooting at f/1.4 for 1/30 second handheld! And it would be super grainy, have a very shallow range of focus, the colors would be off, and there would be a tiny bit of motion blur. I liked to call it "available darkness photography."

In 2005 I photographed a stage performance in a dark bar, no flash because it wasn't allowed... On a film camera, I forget what kind of film speed it was, the results were awful, admittedly at the time I had very little experience with photography at all, especially such a difficult situation

And one from last summer, does this count? A couple dancing very briefly as they passed a music stage at a night festival, at the time I didn't get the photo I wanted, I wasn't prepared for it... I did get this photo which I first thought was a failure (because it wasn't what I wanted), but after further examination I quite liked it in a different way

Inglewood Night 10.jpg

Last edited:
In 2005 I photographed a stage performance in a dark bar, no flash because it wasn't allowed... On a film camera, I forget what kind of film speed it was, the results were awful, admittedly at the time I had very little experience with photography at all, especially such a difficult situation

And one from last summer, does this count? A couple dancing very briefly as they passed a music stage at a night festival, at the time I didn't get the photo I wanted, I wasn't prepared for it... I did get this photo which I first thought was a failure (because it wasn't what I wanted), but after further examination I quite liked it in a different way

View attachment 89127
I think most of the blur is because you were focused on the closest thing to you. The thigh of the person in the foreground is quite sharp. Probably a very wide aperture which gives a thin depth of field. There's some motion blur in the moving things because of a slow shutter speed but again, since that thigh is sharp, there wasn't a lot of camera shake. Kind of an interesting photo.

Was it an auto-exposure? All my old 35mm cameras had a built-in light meter but the exposure was manual.

I think most of the blur is because you were focused on the closest thing to you. The thigh of the person in the foreground is quite sharp. Probably a very wide aperture which gives a thin depth of field. There's some motion blur in the moving things because of a slow shutter speed but again, since that thigh is sharp, there wasn't a lot of camera shake. Kind of an interesting photo.

Was it an auto-exposure? All my old 35mm cameras had a built-in light meter but the exposure was manual.

I was sitting down in a chair, just listening to the music, but always try to be alert for anything (ie. photography)... I am known for steady hands, I was just trying to capture "something", ended up with this...

Your photography looks very good to my eye, especially the one with the older woman sitting by herself in front of a restaurant? while someone is going up the entrance. A thousand words!

I'm lousy at night photography, maybe except moonlit landscapes on a tripod.

I dabbled a little with night photography but only out of curiosity, I never ended up with any pictures that I really liked. Except this one:

Space.jpg

You’re constantly beating your head against the wall about something. It’s a form of egoism. How about just start enjoying your art and quit with the jealousy and self-conflagration. You’re an excellent photographer. Everyone thinks so but you. So, shut up and get on with it already.

New Threads

Top Bottom