• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

When people take playing a silly game, like a card game or a board game, so seriously that they get competitive to the point that they're angry and acting like sore losers, and insist on re-doing the game until they win. That makes it no longer fun for anyone else.

Anyone have pet peeves they would like to share? We might all have something in common.
It may be odd but my pet-peeve is the social norm of working in a service position and being expected to always be smiling, happy, and talkative. If not, you're considered rude and unfriendly.

Just leg me bag your groceries and send you on your merry way.

*edit* also, what really bothers me is filler words! I loathe them because frankly, sometimes they're just...so unnecessary. For example: "I'm taking my cat to the vet because of _x_ issue--life isn't going so well, lol." WHY? It's removing all seriousness from the conversation. /rant

Last edited:
It may be odd but my pet-peeve is the social norm of working in a service position and being expected to always be smiling, happy, and talkative. If not, you're considered rude and unfriendly.

Just leg me bag your groceries and send you on your merry way.
This just reminds me of my pet peeve of people being talkative and conversational in general.

Like whenever my grandpa has to call someone on the phone (and I'm not talking about friends and family here), he always ends up making conversation with them about literally nothing.

These people have jobs to do, they can't be on the phone just talking to someone about whatever for like 10 minutes like you always do.

Or people who decide to make conversations in the check-out at a store or whatever and hold up the line.

Stop doing this!!!

This just reminds me of my pet peeve of people being talkative and conversational in general.

Like whenever my grandpa has to call someone on the phone (and I'm not talking about friends and family here), he always ends up making conversation with them about literally nothing.

These people have jobs to do, they can't be on the phone just talking to someone about whatever for like 10 minutes like you always do.

Or people who decide to make conversations in the check-out at a store or whatever and hold up the line.

Stop doing this!!!
I agree with you! I cannot relate to those who think one's job is the perfect place for forced conversation, simply because they can't...leave...

Stop doing this!!!

I think the worst part is when they feel embarrassed (like if something doesn't scan correctly), and keep extending a conversation because of this. Even once the issue is resolved. I think the people in line would be less irritated if you just left so we can all move on!

Conversations that begin with the word, "So." I find it jarring. Like I'm entering a conversation midway.

Does anyone else have unusual things that bother them? Um, let me explain,

I get very angry and upset when I see an ad/commercial that assumes it knows what I think like 'You've always wanted to travel to blank...' And I'm like no. No NO NO. I've never wanted to do that. Don't assume you know what I want.

Also I get mad when an ad or sign tells me what to do, like a sign said I needed to buy more shoes or I need to stop and read the advertisement and I'm like, WTF no I don't. Don't tell what to do, that's stupid.

It makes me really upset and no one else understands why, I try to explain it to them but they say that it's just an ad or commercial. I drives me crazy.
Ads are insidious. Once, when I had been meditating, I went to visit my mother, who kept a TV on. I had not seen one for years, but when she was busy in the kitchen, I sat down to watch. When the commercials came on, I was literally rolling around laughing at how blatant the manipulation seemed. Within a half hour, it was all going straight to my subconscious, as intended.
Later, I was using a radio as my music source, and thought that since I was not in the market for a mattress or golf supplies, that the ads were not affecting me. However, I realized that they all tried to convince me that I was unhappy, and their product would be the cure.
Now on to catching up on this thread.

Does anyone else have unusual things that bother them? Um, let me explain,

I get very angry and upset when I see an ad/commercial that assumes it knows what I think like 'You've always wanted to travel to blank...' And I'm like no. No NO NO. I've never wanted to do that. Don't assume you know what I want.

Also I get mad when an ad or sign tells me what to do, like a sign said I needed to buy more shoes or I need to stop and read the advertisement and I'm like, WTF no I don't. Don't tell what to do, that's stupid.

It makes me really upset and no one else understands why, I try to explain it to them but they say that it's just an ad or commercial. I drives me crazy.
Interesting.

I'm bothered by my elbows being constricted. I'm bothered by those LED lights on cars. I'm bothered by the sounds of people singing along to music, regardless if their pitch is correct. I'm bothered by how pop music is sung.

...I'm bothered right now by a lot of things because I'm hungry and out of spoons.

My most recent upset was from being woken by a text ad arriving on my "new" phone.
My most serious recent one was from attending a meeting where someone was going on and on about comparing technologies without using any numbers. It was like being trapped in a debate on music where the chairperson was tone-deaf, so nobody could mention pitch.
My biggest ongoing upset is over waste in general, and unused vehicle capacity in particular. There is no good technical reason for a land vehicle to weigh more than it carries.

When recipes require me to measure an ingredient with a measuring cup and only have the customary/imperial units listed for however much I'm supposed to measure.

My measuring cup has both customary/imperial and metric units, depending on which side is facing you.

I am left-handed.

The side facing me when I am holding my measuring cup with my left hand is the metric side. I have no idea what a recipe wants when it tells me to add two-thirds of a cup of milk or whatever. Please include metric too I beg of you recipe writers.

Too many bells and whistles on household appliances. Generally when something goes wrong the problem wouldn't exist if not for some random, unused feature.

e.g. the steam feature on our dryer

So, I wonder, is the Fat Controller in Thomas the Tank Engine now the Enormous Controller?

From what I understand, they don't even call him "The Fat Controller" anymore because of that reason - it's just his real name, Sir Topham Hatt, that the characters call him now.
Personally, I don't care in that situation as - when I watch it with my nephews - I refuse to watch any Thomas series past Series 5; back when they were still using the model sets and it was either Ringo Starr or Michael Angelis doing the narration, so he's still referred to as the Fat Controller in those seasons.

Anyone have pet peeves they would like to share? We might all have something in common.
pet peeves. hmm let me see.... ignorant people, people who drive agressively, or drive in such a way, to irritate others, people who talk really slow in a condescending tone, and the worst one, high pitch noises. especially children squealing. squealing has caused me stress seizures before

New Threads

Top Bottom