• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

perhaps all aspies are alike

zylon

A statement like "all (blank) are alike" can be taken two ways. Take blindness, for example. Are all blind people alike? In one way, of course not. Some blind people have perfect hearing, and some blind people are deaf, for example. But in another way, all blind people are alike: they all have bad vision. This is because the word "blindness" only refers to vision. It says nothing of hearing or anything else.

In the same way, all Aspies are alike as far as being Asperger goes. In all other ways, they would vary as much as anyone else.

In that sense, telling someone that you are an aspie does not tell them anything about your hearing or anything else about you, but it does say something about you. What is that something, and does it apply to me?

Both uncompensated blindness and uncompensated Asperger results in social problems and restricted behavior.
Therefore, Asperger cannot just mean social problems and restricted behavior.
There must be some way that all aspies are alike by definition, but I have serious questions about me being alike in that way, even though I do have severe social problems and restricted behavior.

New Threads

Top Bottom