• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Perfect/absolute Pitch (links on studies)

Perfect pitch

• absolute

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • good

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad

• awful

• deaf

• Total voters

risootser

Resources
Absolute pitch - Wikipedia
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/246395099_Absolute_Pitch_in_Autism_A_Case_Study

Perfect Pitch: Autism's Rare Gift | Interactive Autism Network

Do Musicians with Perfect Pitch Have More Autism Traits than Musicians without Perfect Pitch? An Empirical Study

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02604027.2014.989780?journalCode=gwof20

A non-verbal piano-matching method resulted in a correlation of 97% between autism and absolute pitch, with a 53% correlation in non-autistic observers.

How good is your pitch?

As for myself there is now 3 % change or less of me being autistic now. Let's take into account that I have no sensory sensitivities which would make me 30 % change being autistic.
Assuming that those traits are not coined together my over change of having autism is: (0.03*0.3)*100 % < 1 %. So under one percent change. I call that nonexistent change because on top of that I have other non traits. :eek:

I was already familiar with one of the linked articles, but not with the others, so thanks for sharing. It was an interesting read.

I have what someone called "partial perfect pitch" once when I explained my experience to him. It isn't perfect pitch; I think it is rather an effect of being used to music and reading sheet music since I was young. Therefore, it basically only works for rather clear sounds in the middle octave and a bit higher/lower than that (the octave above the middle one is rather easy to identify as well). Everything else is more difficult to figure out and doesn't come as naturally to me. It is just something I picked up because this is the range I'm used to singing in the most and also the one I usually play the accordion or piano in.
Maybe it would get better in other octaves as well if I practised this more and were more familiar with these octaves. Though "practise" isn't the right term for how my skills in the middle octave developed. I never purposefully practised to identify notes; it just happened.

Based on this I voted "good".

New Threads

Top Bottom