• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People talking about middle class

Aspergers_Aspie

I was watching a re-run of an episode of a UK TV programme called 'would I lie to you'. One of the panel members said to another panel member that she is very middle class to shop at Waitrose. I am working class I think and I have shopped there previously. There isn't one close to the area where I currently live and two other supermarkets are more convenient or I may still shop at Waitrose sometimes. So I don't believe only very middle class people shop there.
On another UK TV programme 'Police Interceptors' the voiceover person said the excuse of a speeding driver was that his son was late for his saxophone lesson, and that was the most middle class excuse he has ever heard. I don't know if it would be highly unlikely for a working class person to receive a music lesson.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like the Walmart vs. Target shoppers here in the US. I have the luxury of driving the five miles to Target because it is less of a sensory trauma than the Voldemart about a mile away is.

Voldemart is way more convenient, but I know where everything is at my Target and I don't have to make another stop because they're out of stock on everything.

Target isn't too far from my job so if I need to go there or to the grocery store I stop on the way home from work.

Being able to make that choice isn't something everyone gets and I'm grateful for that opportunity.

Sounds a bit like the Walmart vs. Target shoppers here in the US. I have the luxury of driving the five miles to Target because it is less of a sensory trauma than the Voldemart about a mile away is.

Voldemart is way more convenient, but I know where everything is at my Target and I don't have to make another stop because they're out of stock on everything.

Target isn't too far from my job so if I need to go there or to the grocery store I stop on the way home from work.

Being able to make that choice isn't something everyone gets and I'm grateful for that opportunity.

Voldemart... that had me chuckling!

I was watching a re-run of an episode of a UK TV programme called 'would I lie to you'. One of the panel members said to another panel member that she is very middle class to shop at Waitrose. I am working class I think and I have shopped there previously. There isn't one close to the area where I live and two other supermarkets are more convenient or I may still shop at Waitrose sometimes. So I don't believe only very middle class people shop there.
On another UK TV programme 'Police Interceptors' the voiceover person said the excuse of a speeding driver was that his son was late for his saxophone lesson, and that was the most middle class excuse he has ever heard. I don't know if it would be highly unlikely for a working class person to receive a music lesson.
I think its the upper to middle classes effect ,where they don't want to seem superior so they talk about class ,like they give a crap,then anyone whose working class tries to hide their irritation about class in the uk .

Personally I'm inclined to think that class distinctions based only on net income rather than net worth are misleading at the very least. Way too many people out there routinely existing from paycheck to paycheck.

Personally I'm inclined to think that class distinctions based only on net income rather than net worth are misleading at the very least. Way too many people out there routinely existing from paycheck to paycheck.
One only need to peruse the ALICE reports to see just how many families are distressed. I detest that my county has over 30% of families that do not make the minimum to afford life's necessities. Home | UnitedForALICE

I am too aware of inequalities and it hurts. We are supposedly a wealthy nation, yet we allow people to suffer. In my county dental care is expensive, like anywhere else, where there is no affordable dental insurance, so it is a joke that one can tell the socioeconomic class of a person by the state of their oral health. America needs single payer, government run, healthcare, as so many other nations have, Medicare for All.

It's the opposite for me...I could (if I were feeling particularly ambitious) WALK to Target but SprawlMart is a few miles away.

That said, I detest SprawlMart for a whole host of reasons (most bordering on political) and I would still shop at Target if their geographic convenience were reversed.

On channel 5, in the UK, TV show Jeremy Vine was asking, should the royals send their kids to state schools, it's on the show's Facebook page

It's the opposite for me...I could (if I were feeling particularly ambitious) WALK to Target but SprawlMart is a few miles away.

That said, I detest SprawlMart for a whole host of reasons (most bordering on political) and I would still shop at Target if their geographic convenience were reversed.
Well you realize that each and every Walmart costs the taxpayers of the state they are located in around a million dollars a year. I believe the study was done by the University of Wisconsin and Berkely.

On the Jeremy Vine show again, earlier today, was the discussion 'Mentioning ski trips not inclusive'. There was talk of skiing being middle class or right wing. I have never thought of skiing in those ways before.

On the Jeremy Vine show again, earlier today, was the discussion 'Mentioning ski trips not inclusive'. There was talk of skiing being middle class or right wing. I have never thought of skiing in those ways before.

I have skied more than most people, if skiing is middle class and right wing, I'm just a raging super right wing middle class kind of guy. :) And so are a lot of other people here where I live. But I don't think they know that.

ski.jpg

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom