• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

PBS POV program, "Neurotypical"

Aspieistj

Fabulous!!!!! Syracuse, NY PBS local station just broadcast a Point of View segment called "Neurotypical." It featured several people of various ages who have been diagnosed with Autism. All were high functioning and with the exception of a 4 year old girl, they all spoke about how they fit, or didn't fit into the Neurotypical world. I learned a lot about myself and identified with a lot of what was discussed and revealed by the participants. I wish the entire population of the world were required to pay attention to everything covered in this program. I have a friend who occasionally asks me what it is like to be me and I really wish she watched the show. However, she goes to bed early and I doubt that she stayed up, even though I asked her to do so. Right now I would like to drown everyone who is an NT and feels that we have to be "changed" so we will be "better." I wish I could personally thank all the people on the spectrum who participated in presenting so much important information.

Since there is not anything "Wrong" with me, I see no reason to change. I like who I am, and I like being different.

No body can ever change. We all, AS or NT make adaptations to various situations,depending on challenges each one of us face. I cannot and will not ever endorse that Aspergers should be expected to change. They are extremely talented individuals and all those who wish to benefit from their talents must adapt to them.

I liked what the guy (in the PBS show, "Neurotypical") said about how to keep a conversation going: Try repeating the last 3 words that the other person said. It does seem to work.

I liked what the guy (in the PBS show, "Neurotypical") said about how to keep a conversation going: Try repeating the last 3 words that the other person said. It does seem to work.

I really appreciated everything he said about being an Aspie. While I am now 69, I am fairly new to the concept of living on the spectrum. Until I started taking online tests in my early 60s and realized I had Asperger Syndrome, I believed as I had been told all my life; I was nasty, deliberately negative, weird and many other negative labels. This man appears to have spent a lot of thought about how to understand navigating life among all the NTs. If only NTs would spend as much time learning about what makes us tick!

" If only NTs would spend as much time learning about what makes us tick!"

For that matter, wouldn't it be amazing if more people spent time thinking about how they think? I am stunned listening to NTs/people who have no clues about their own thought processes. One example is the woman I know who is afraid of spiders. She likes to freak out over spiders so much that her posts on Facebook say she will delete any reference anyone makes to a spider using either words or pictures. She told me that she has no interest in figuring out why she is afraid of spiders. This doesn't make any sense to me.

For that matter, wouldn't it be amazing if more people spent time thinking about how they think? I am stunned listening to NTs/people who have no clues about their own thought processes. One example is the woman I know who is afraid of spiders. She likes to freak out over spiders so much that her posts on Facebook say she will delete any reference anyone makes to a spider using either words or pictures. She told me that she has no interest in figuring out why she is afraid of spiders. This doesn't make any sense to me.
Agree!! Like i wrote in my earlier post that NTs also have their challenges and at times even more difficult than Aspergers; depression, anxiety, obsession to mention a few. Some of them learn to adapt, but those who don't just get lost.

This woman likes the attention she gets: her behavior has nothing to do with spiders.

I watched this program. It didn't seem to have much to do with autism specifically. It seemed like just a general look at the lives of a few people. I wouldn't have known that any of them were autistic if it hadn't been mentioned.

New Threads

Top Bottom