• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Part of me was still in denial...

NicoleAscot

Kira Renèe
The doctor had me go over a bunch of stuff that "may or may not" fit Aspergers characteristics.
One of them, was something about unusual interests, like trains and such.
And I've been telling myself, I don't have any "unusual/different" interests at all. Right?
And then last night it occurred to me!!
I have been to hundreds of thrift stores and antique stores from Huntsville, Alabama to New Orleans, Louisiana, looking for something very specific, for something that I can't quite explain my reasoning for.
Here is a small sample of what I've been finding...

Aren't they cute?
IMG_0667.JPG
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0669.JPG
IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG

Aww so tiny! I think it does qualify, especially if you're really into them. Though having a collection can be a non-aspie thing too.

They always use trains as the example. I think it makes a lot of people think that they must not have an 'unusual' interest because that's the only example most professionals give. Mine is 9/11 and plane accidents, so yeah. I don't really collect anything anymore (apart from craft supplies...) but when I was younger I did collect keyrings and Goosebump books, and then Beanie Babies.

Ah yes, denial. My denial was in examining my own physical characteristics. Never felt particularly clumsy, so no, Aspergers couldn't be me! Then I found other symptoms...such as "stilted walking". WTH was that? I had to look it up. Horrified to discover that was a sort of walk I had as a kid, for which I was taunted about. Where your shoulders move side to side...kind of like a subdued "Gomer Pyle". :eek:

That was the point in my quest when I finally yielded to the idea that I may well be on the spectrum of autism. When I gave up resisting it, and began to accept who and what I actually am. :)

Last edited:
Haha yeah... that counts. One of the reason girls miss being diagnosed more than boys is that our interests tend to be a little more mainstream. We don't necessarily fixate on the classic things like trains and clocks. It's more the intensity of our interests. Like I was interested in sewing and people thought I just liked to sew... nope... more like obsessed with sewing and sewing machines. But it's now my full time job and I love it :)

I've had other intense interests come and go over the years too.. I tend to drop them as quickly as I pick them up when I'm no longer interested.

They always use trains as the example. I think it makes a lot of people think that they must not have an 'unusual' interest because that's the only example most professionals give. Mine is 9/11 and plane accidents, so yeah. I don't really collect anything anymore (apart from craft supplies...) but when I was younger I did collect keyrings and Goosebump books, and then Beanie Babies.

Mine is 9/11 as well, and natural disasters, Tornadoes especially.

Omg! NicoleAscot! Samesies!
Antique trinkets, I've collected sherry glasses,shot glasses, teapots, mini vases, inscence burners, cat and fairy ornaments, thimbles, pill box's, lunch box's and anything with a dragon on.
Yes they are so cute!
I inherited lots of shot glasses from my great uncle who was German. My prized possessions.
Unfortunately I've had to get rid of mine, hoarding became a bit of a problem when I lived at my dad's.
I also used to collect goosebumps, beanie babies(i had them all, I used to threaten my mother that I would trash the house if I didn't get the latest one oops!).
I also collect old books, if they don't smell old enough I will put them back on the shelf. If I go anywhere I'm pretty good at finding the second hand book shop.
Who knew chariety shop trawling and trinket finding could be a special interest!
I've excessively researched pagan mythology (even though I'm not religious) and collect quiet alot of witchcraft stuff.
I'm also interested in politics/sociology.
So I can't relate to people, but I can study them and tell you which way they vote and why!

Last edited:
shoes,bags,pens,books
as IM not a billionaire cant really go mad :-(
still dream of a library in a stately home or prof higgins library in my fair lady
or a huge closet for the bags and shoes

I collect stuffed animal dogs, headphones, sneakers, and shirts with the names of places on them.
Mum's boyfriend is obsessed with trains, I've heard that is a classic Aspie thing.

I used to collect bottle caps and pieces of wood as a child and just hoard them away; I'm not into those anymore. I used to be very obsessed with streetlights, sprinklers and construction sites. I would beg my parents to take me to a park just so I could watch the sprinklers in action; I've stopped by each and every sprinkler and just waited for them to turn on, pour out that stream and do that famous "ratatatatata", a.k.a. music to the ears. I used to also constantly stop by each and every streetlight and just...examine it. Also waited for them to turn on, and even checked each one if it buzzed. Then I came home and just drew those same lights I've been observing.

I used to also beg my parents to take some detours around the construction sites in my area and watching those big cranes do their thing was mesmerizing. I wasn't just interested in the big ones - even simple residential ones made me want to watch for hours. There was even one residential site across the street from my childhood home that I constantly mimicked with my toys. I used to also create mock streetlights using straws and paper cutouts within my childhood home. Can't say the same about mock sprinklers, I knew getting the house wet was a no-no. I'm still very much into construction sites, I'm much less into streetlights and I'm no longer into sprinklers - so there's plenty of variability amongst my interests as well.

There is something rather pleasant about seeing all of that lined up. What's the story behind the tobasco bottle?

thrilled and intrigued by part of psalm 139:4 "you are fearfully (with great respect)and wonderfully (unigue)made" IVE just realised it connects to creativity -collecting
Omg! NicoleAscot! Samesies!
Antique trinkets, I've collected sherry glasses,shot glasses, teapots, mini vases, inscence burners, cat and fairy ornaments, thimbles, pill box's, lunch box's and anything with a dragon on.
Yes they are so cute!
I inherited lots of shot glasses from my great uncle who was German. My prized possessions.
Unfortunately I've had to get rid of mine, hoarding became a bit of a problem when I lived at my dad's.
I also used to collect goosebumps, beanie babies(i had them all, I used to threaten my mother that I would trash the house if I didn't get the latest one oops!).
I also collect old books, if they don't smell old enough I will put them back on the shelf. If I go anywhere I'm pretty good at finding the second hand book shop.
Who knew chariety shop trawling and trinket finding could be a special interest!
I've excessively researched pagan mythology (even though I'm not religious) and collect quiet alot of witchcraft stuff.
I'm also interested in politics/sociology.
So I can't relate to people, but I can study them and tell you which way they vote and why!
The doctor had me go over a bunch of stuff that "may or may not" fit Aspergers characteristics.
And I've been telling myself, I don't have any "unusual/different" interests at all. Right?
And then last night it occurred to me!!
I have been to hundreds of thrift stores and antique stores from Huntsville, Alabama to New Orleans, Louisiana, looking for something very specific, for something that I can't quite explain my reasoning for.
Here is a small sample of what I've been finding...

Aren't they cute?
View attachment 35079 View attachment 35080 View attachment 35081 View attachment 35082 View attachment 35083

There is something rather pleasant about seeing all of that lined up. What's the story behind the tobasco bottle?
Isn't there? I love it!! Took months to find the right order for everything. Haha
As for that bottle specifically, it was found by accident at work. It was in a box to be thrown out and I HAD to have it. Hehe

New Threads

Top Bottom