• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paper Puzzles...

It was clear there must be a relationship between the numbers. Plus all the 8s kind of rang alarm bells.

That took me about ten seconds. But the first puzzle took me ages. Wrong frame of mind at the time, methinx.

I have seen that one before
but the answer is.

87 (upside down car parking spaces. )

If only I could find talking to people this straightforward. :(

New puzzle...
parking_lot_nos.gif

What is the number of the lot that is occupied?
(Remember to put your answer in a SPOILER block.)​

Everyone caught the gimmick on this one. Yay!

I will add more as I find them. Feel free to do the same.

Albert & Bernard have recently befriended Cheryl and want to know her birthday.

Cheryl gives ten possible dates,
  • May 15, 16 or 19;
  • June 17 or 18;
  • July 14 or 16;
  • August 14, 15 or 17

Separately, she tells Albert the actual month and Bernard the actual day of the month.

Albert: I don't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but I know that Bernard doesn't know, either.
Bernard: At first, I didn't know when Cheryl's birthday is, but now I do.
Albert: Then, I also know when Cheryl's birthday is.
So when is Cheryl's birthday?

[You can Google for the correct answer.]

The Bridge Challenge
An improbably rickety bridge can only be crossed by at most two people at a time.
It is also dark and there may be grues on the bridge. You need a torch to cross the bridge (but both sides are safe).
There is only one torch. (so when it is carried across, someone will have to bring it back)

Four people need to cross the bridge (and all 4 start on the same side):
A speedy person who can cross the bridge in 1 minute.
A fit person who can cross the bridge in 2 minutes.
A soft person who can cross the bridge in 5 minutes.
An infirm person who can cross the bridge in 8 minutes.

When two people travel together, they can only go as fast as the slower person. (e.g. if speedy and infirm go together, it takes 8 minutes to cross).

What is the shortest amount of time required to get all 4 people across the bridge?
You can show your answer, but put your rationale in a spoiler tag.

I got the first one in ten minutes, but wouldn't have without the preschooler hint. I gave up on the second, and was immediately humbled upon reading the explanation. Maybe there's a little bit of Homer Simpson in me.

Cheryl's birthday is
July 16. If Bernard had known the number was 18 or 19 he would have known the exact date, Albert could only have known that Bernard didn't know the exact date if he knew that the month was not May or June. Now that Albert has said that, Bernard knows that it must be July or August.

Since Bernard now knows the exact day, Albert knows that it cannot be the 14th of either month else Bernard still would not know. We've narrowed it down to July 16, August 15 or August 17. If Albert knew it was August he still would not know the exact date because there would still be two possible dates, Albert can only know now if it's July 16.
That also took about ten minutes.

Bridge crossing is 15 minutes.
fastest two cross, fastest one comes back - 3 minutes. Slowest two cross, another 8 for a running total of 11. Fit one brings torch back, another 2 for 13, the fastest two cross for the final time for a total of 15 minutes.
I had a higher total time at first, but that felt wrong. I came up with this in about five minutes, and it feels right. Fun thread.

New puzzle. Remember to put your answer in spoilers.
Crack The Password?
full

Last edited:
A thread for text & graphic puzzles.

Preschoolers.jpg

(It's okay to share your number guessed,
but use the spoiler tags for your reasoning or don't show it.)​

Took me about 5 minutes for this one without looking at any posts...

Add the number of circles formed by the numbers - in this case, 6, 9 and 0 equal one circle each, and 8 equals 2 circles.

2581 would equal 2, because 8 is the only digit in that number that follows the rule.

Last edited:
Crack The Password?
full
Think it's 042, here's my working
682 has one number well placed, 614 has one badly placed. So 6 isn't in the solution (it can't be both)
206 has two wrongly placed, so 2 and 0 are in the solution
682 has one correct, which must be the 2 [ _ _ 2 ]
206 has 0 wrongly placed, so it can only appear in first (2nd is where it currently is wrongly placed and third is blocked) [ 0 _ 2]
614 has one digit wrong placed. 6 is disqualified, it can't be 1 because there's no where else for it to be placed that isn't blocked, so it must be 4 [ 0 4 2]

Took about 1 minute, so fingers crossed I'm right or I've proved how poor my attention span is.

I liked the birthday one and the bridge one, managed to get these quite quickly too. Primary school one, didn't get at all.

EDIT: I enjoyed the code on so much that I did some more online and got fooled on one where there was a double number!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Crack The Password?
full

Maybe?

7 3 8 - all incorrect
7 8 0 - 7 and 8 are incorrect, 0 is correct but not in #3
2 0 6 - 0 is correct but not in #2, so it has to be in #1, that leaves either 2 or 6 and neither can be in #1 now

0 ? ?

6 1 4 - based on the previous clue, 6 can't go in #1, but we now have 1 or 4, either of which is correct but misplaced
6 8 2 - 8 is incorrect, 6 still can't go in #1 but is now incorrect since this is the last clue, so that leaves 2 which is in #3

0 ? 2

6 1 4 - back to the previous clue, 1 is incorrect because it can't be placed in #1 or #3 now, which means 4 is the misplaced number, so the answer is...

0 4 2

Last edited:
Fit + Speedy = 2 minutes total.
Speedy goes back = 1 minute.
Infirm + Soft = 8 minutes total.
Fit goes back = 2 minute.
Fit + Speedy = 2 minute.
(15 minutes?)

7,3,8 can definitely be eliminated.
6 cannot be in the solution because it is in "one number is correct and well placed" and "one number is correct and wrongly placed"
There are no 9's and no 5's.
So, we have a pool of 0,1,2,4 to work with.
7,8,0 = means 0 is definitely in the solution, but not on the right.
2,0,6 = means 0 is not in the middle. So 0 must be on the left.
6,8,2 = 2 is definitely on the right. So we're at 0X2.
4 is done by elimination because we have only the middle spot left, and "wrongly placed" in 614 eliminates 1.

New Threads

Top Bottom