• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pain Threshold

I have a very high pain threshold...it got torture tested to maximum limits four years ago :p
I was once told to drink cranberry juice for a UTI...painful as all heck,but kinda like sissy stuff after breaking my brain ;)

Grumpy Cat nurse here. Man am I grumpy! I have a bladder infection at this time that came on literally in a matter of minutes and I'm in excruciating pain - for me. I consider myself to have a low pain threshold. If I'm in any pain, I can't focus on anything else until it is completely gone. As most of you know I'm not Aspie. Since most Aspies have problems with touch and other external stimuli, do you also have a low pain threshold?

Hope you fix that soon, hugs to you.

I have a high pain threshold.

In March I trapped my thumb in a machine slicing it to the bone, had a recovery to do so washed it off and put it back together before bandaging it up. Drove 70 miles to drop my recovery off and went to the local hospital. There was a six hour waiting time so I left and drove back to base (110 miles), clocked off and went to hospital.

The nurse took one look and thought I was joking about the drive. Once I knew it was getting treated, the pain hit home and I passed out.

The girls at my control centre were great though, they stayed on the phone with me all the way back to make sure I got to the hospital.

Sorry to hear about your aches n pains Ange. Pain sux, it really does. I too have a low pain threshold. I'm a wuss

Hope you fix that soon, hugs to you.

I have a high pain threshold.

In March I trapped my thumb in a machine slicing it to the bone, had a recovery to do so washed it off and put it back together before bandaging it up. Drove 70 miles to drop my recovery off and went to the local hospital. There was a six hour waiting time so I left and drove back to base (110 miles), clocked off and went to hospital.

The nurse took one look and thought I was joking about the drive. Once I knew it was getting treated, the pain hit home and I passed out.

The girls at my control centre were great though, they stayed on the phone with me all the way back to make sure I got to the hospital.

Eh I would have worried about it getting infected, depending how high or low on my thumb it was I probably would have finished cutting it off and seared the stump to stop the bleeding...... 6 hour wait times when cut to the bone? Obama care is trying to catch us up to your guys level of public care..... DOOOOOOMED

I think it all depends on the kind of pain you're having. Different kind of pain may be perceived differently by people. Also it depends on the location of pain and it's concentration. When I was delivering my 1st child, he got stuck on one of my hips and was pressing on the hip joint that was damaged previously (long story) my adrenaline rose so high I was shaking like crazy and could barely stay conscious. They gave me gas, that didn't work, gave me epidural, I pressed the button several times (which I wasn't supposed to) still didn't work... anywho... yeah... I think it also depends on how persistent the pain is, is it just an initial shock and then pain becomes less intense or it's a constant process? I had spinal headache after one unlucky epidural and, I would say, no matter how bad it was, internal organs infection pain or toothache for me is worse because, headaches doesn't "burn" like infection :) sometimes when I go to a doctor and a doctor asks me how bad, on the scale from 1 to 10, it hurts - if it's bothersome I say 5-6 because I believe if it was 10, I would be already unconscious, so anything between 8 and 10 is a 911 call :)

I have a really high pain threshold in general. But those muscle aches in my back almost make me puke. Sharp pains I can take perfectly, no problem. But my back, really if I sit wrong for a few minutes my back begins to get achy and I turn nauseous and dizzy. I've never been knocked out though.

Eh I would have worried about it getting infected, depending how high or low on my thumb it was I probably would have finished cutting it off and seared the stump to stop the bleeding...... 6 hour wait times when cut to the bone? Obama care is trying to catch us up to your guys level of public care..... DOOOOOOMED

I was on the 1st joint from the tip. Had two injections into it whilst I was out. Week later it was infected so had to have it cleaned up and was on antibiotics.

I was on the 1st joint from the tip. Had two injections into it whilst I was out. Week later it was infected so had to have it cleaned up and was on antibiotics.

Yeah for that much waiting I would have bitten it all the way off at the first knuckle and cauterized it on the spot. I do not have the patience to sit in an emergency room full of nasty sick people for half a day when I can fix it up myself in 30 seconds or less.

Injury and I are close friends and we hang out often. I have another "Best Friend" named disease. This one has been an important part of my life for a couple of years now, but was just recently named. I suffered a lot until I found this mystery friends name. Many days I could not walk, and when I could it was slow and quite painful. He interrupted my sleep often and encouraged me to carry aspirin. I now take some special drug (having found nothing else that worked) to get some quality of life back. The doctors insist that I need to do more as I am only part way back to normal. I am very happy with the amount of normalcy that I have however and refused. They said that since I have an unusually high tolerance for pain, that I do not know how much I am actually hurting and that the amount that I am still suffering is causing damage. I believe that there is a trade off and am not willing to poison my body any further. So, pain it is.
I also have a very high tolerance to narcotics and other meds, or the opposite reaction than most.

Sorry for your troubles, Nurseangela.

Though unexpected touch can cause me nerve pain enough to make me reel, my threshold for other kinds of pain and discomfort is very high, I think. Like Harrison, I can sustain a fairly major injury and not do much more than wince and get on with taking care of it. I live with a lot of muscular pain from suppressing the symptoms of my disorders...I end up storing a lot of tension. Maybe it's being so used to that which makes me so tolerant of injury and illness.

I had a similar accident while camping, slicing the top of my thumb to the bone. Superglue was my friend in that case. I'd heard it's used in surgery sometimes, so I always carry some with me. Never know when it might come in handy. Like you, I don't let the pain in until after everything's sorted. I haven't passed out, but I've felt quite sick a few times once the emergency was over. I go on auto-pilot in a crisis as it's happening. It's a nice ability to have.

I had a similar accident while camping, slicing the top of my thumb to the bone. Superglue was my friend in that case. I'd heard it's used in surgery sometimes, so I always carry some with me. Never know when it might come in handy. Like you, I don't let the pain in until after everything's sorted. I haven't passed out, but I've felt quite sick a few times once the emergency was over. I go on auto-pilot in a crisis as it's happening. It's a nice ability to have.

Auto pilot would be the best way to describe it. In every crisis I have been in I will just go cold and logical until it's over, then I'll flip out.

I don't think I'll try the superglue thing though :eek:

You guys are just amazing me. I thought I had a high pain tolerance. But my tolerance consists in maintaining my attention on things other than my broken body. Now there is talk of superglue, and gluing one's own body, or simply biting it off...that's beyond my scope.

You guys are just amazing me. I thought I had a high pain tolerance. But my tolerance consists in maintaining my attention on things other than my broken body. Now there is talk of superglue, and gluing one's own body, or simply biting it off...that's beyond my scope.

IKR? And i thought i had a high pain tolerance! Wow. I think my tolerance of pain is similar to yours; in the moment i'm just paying so much attention to the situation at large (what i was doing before i got hurt and what i'm supposed to be doing) that i ignore the pain until i'm done with whatever it was and have a moment to check on it.

Auto pilot would be the best way to describe it. In every crisis I have been in I will just go cold and logical until it's over, then I'll flip out.

I don't think I'll try the superglue thing though :eek:

When the nearest infrastructure of any kind is two days' travel away, never mind a doctor, you gotta do what you gotta do!

:smilecat:A Grumpy Cat Nurse Tid Bit -- Oldie men that get UTI's go nuts (literally).
(Some oldie women can too, but mostly the oldie men.)
I have had kidney stones and bladder cancer in my life. I'm a "oldie man" and didn't go nuts. Does this mean that I've always been nuts?

A bandaid is useless on your fingers in an industrial setting because they come off too easily
Common black electrical tape holds up well as a bandage on fingers in a dirty oily environment :cool:
My usual practice is to remove a bandage as soon as the wound closes itself to let it dry and reduce the chance of infection.
Every time I've been stapled,they have never bandaged those repairs for similar reasons.
My rule # 1 is to stop a small finger leak when working...blood sticks your fingers together and slows you down...grease works quite well for stopping small leaks ;)
I make butterflies to close wounds from tape or bandaids for some repairs...it isn't rocket science and I always ask to watch simple procedures to understand them better...
Cyanoacrylates or superglues are used in surgeries at times.
I use cyano adhesives in my modeling hobby,so there is always plenty of it around
Surgical grade Dermabond is a longer string compound more suitable for tissue repair,where household super glue is a shorter string and less flexible,but I'm not after plastic surgery or micro surgery,only patching up simple cuts without an expensive and time consuming trip to the doc ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom