• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oversensitivity to heat

Dadamen

The summer has hit early in my country this year with temperatures reaching 25 degrees Celsius around 1 June and 30 degrees around 15 June. The school year ended on 18 June this year and I was sick every day after school because of heat. My classmates were also hot, but they could function normally despite that. I can't live without an air conditioner and go out only in the evening.

Can ASD be the cause of that heat intolerance? While I tolerated it well as a child the intolerance started around the age of 11 (Summer 2015 was the first though one for me, that summer temperatures reached 41 degrees).

On the other hand, I tolerate the cold well. I remember one school excursion to Salzburg in December where many people said they "froze like idiots" while I was completely fine.

I don't know if it has anything to do with ASD or not, but some people just react better/worse in certain weather conditions. I hate the heat as well. When school ends in April, and it starts getting warming in May and hotter in June, I'm already wishing it were autumn. We're supposed to have highs of 31º today. o_O

It's very hard for me to function when it's hot and humid combined. I sweat profusely in that kind of situation and can become very dehydrated. It's like my body overreacts to the heat/humidity.

I can't handle temperatures over 20 ℃ (293.15 K, 68 °F, ~528 °Ra, 18 °Rø, 6.6 °N, 120 °De, 16 °Ré). Summers are the worst part of the year and I can't wait for winter already in March. Sad it's se But I think it's especially direct sunlight that it's the worst, just warm air at 20 °C is survivable.

I have it quite a lot easier than other people too with cold temperatures, -20 °C (253.15 K, -4 °F, ~456 °Ra, -3 °Rø, -6,6 °N, 180 °De, -16 °Ré) isn't especially bad. I shoveled snow in a t-shirt that temp once. While other refuse to go out ...

Since sensory issues in general is common among autistic people, so I guess heat oversensitivity also be a common ting too.

My ideal temperature is between 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit (10-15 degrees Celsius) for outdoor temps.

I don't like feeling cold when I'm indoors either so I wear wool the three seasons other than summer.

(293.15 K, 68 °F, ~528 °Ra, 18 °Rø, 6.6 °N, 120 °De, 16 °Ré).
lol, I haven't heard of units other than °C °F and K.
I know the formulas: °F=°C*1,8+32 and K=°C+273,15.
I am from Europe, so we use °C as a standard unit.
I can't handle temperatures over 20 ℃
Where are you from? I hope you are from a cooler climate because in my climate temp regularly passes 20 from April to October and there were even days with a high of around 20 in winter. During the summer there are even nights with a low above 20. Below -20 happened just a few times in my lifetime, the last time in February 2018.

A great tip on the really hot summers day is to carry around with you a spray mister full of water, I would not be without mine as I would find it intolerable. I hope this helps.

A great tip on the really hot summers day is to carry around with you a spray mister full of water, I would not be without mine as I would find it intolerable. I hope this helps.
Today is a heavy one, temperature is 35 degrees C. Luckilly I could stay at home with my AC set to 25 degrees all day.

lol, I haven't heard of units other than °C °F and K.
I know the formulas: °F=°C*1,8+32 and K=°C+273,15.
I am from Europe, so we use °C as a standard unit.

Where are you from? I hope you are from a cooler climate because in my climate temp regularly passes 20 from April to October and there were even days with a high of around 20 in winter. During the summer there are even nights with a low above 20. Below -20 happened just a few times in my lifetime, the last time in February 2018.

Ops, I totally missed this, I'm sorry.

I thought that since I've to write in both ℃ and ℉, "why not all I know of?"
But Celsius is the best invention ever! In my opinion ... Also, Anders Celsius was from Sweden so I may be slightly biased but still. However, most of them aren't used anymore, De had some popularity in Soviet I think, Rø in Denmark before Celsius, I think. N was Newton's own.

I'm from the middle of Sweden. We usually have cooler temperatures than yo, but in the last summers have it been like 25-30 ℃ a lot, but usually only in June to August, maybe in the end of May and the beginning of September sometimes. The spring and autumn is usually between 5 and 10 ℃. Winter is unstable since I live next to the coast, but usually -5 to -15 ℃, sometimes down to -20 and once every few years about -25 or -30 ℃. It's currently about 22 ℃ and I'm melting.

Luckily I get to be indoors in a all-day-cool office all summer this year!

At me, it's 29 degrees now. I know you had an extreme summer in 2018 when Greta Thunberg (also aspie) started her climate actions.
Gisses, that's hot! But I assume it's quite common to have air conditioning where you live, right? Yeah, 2018 was quite extreme, the winter after too.

Greta Thunberg is my biggest (!) idol!

Greta Thunberg is my biggest (!) idol!
Mine too, one of the biggest. Maybe only some athletes are bigger.
But I assume it's quite common to have air conditioning where you live, right?
Well, it is common, but not all places have it. Shops all have it and many homes (including mine) also have it. But schools don't have it and I have a problem going to school when it's hot. Also, some busses don't have.

Well, it is common, but not all places have it. Shops all have it and many homes (including mine) also have it. But schools don't have it and I have a problem going to school when it's hot. Also, some busses don't have.

Wonderful! It's very rare here, newer stores usually have it, but it may be a side effect of a air-to-air heat pump. But never flats, and my room has evening sun, it's getting sooo warm. Most of my schools have been of concrete and stayed cool all year round. We have just got a few new used buses from Norway with AC (but the bus company seems to avoid using them, probably due to higher fule consumption), and it's sooo nice to sit in them! The regular buses are boiling ...

Was the winter extremely warm or extremely cold? I remember winter 2018/19 as quite warm. 2019/20 and 2020/21 were also warm. The last stronger cold wave was in February 2018.
Very cold, but it was apparently 2017/18 when we got almost a meter of snow here, and a bit further in from the coast up to 2.5 meters, and other days with temperatures below -20 ℃. The schools closed for a day in January and the buses was cancelled until noon that day.

The summer has hit early in my country this year with temperatures reaching 25 degrees Celsius around 1 June and 30 degrees around 15 June. The school year ended on 18 June this year and I was sick every day after school because of heat. My classmates were also hot, but they could function normally despite that. I can't live without an air conditioner and go out only in the evening.

Can ASD be the cause of that heat intolerance? While I tolerated it well as a child the intolerance started around the age of 11 (Summer 2015 was the first though one for me, that summer temperatures reached 41 degrees).

On the other hand, I tolerate the cold well. I remember one school excursion to Salzburg in December where many people said they "froze like idiots" while I was completely fine.
Nope it's not exclusively people with autistic neurology ,but it probably includes people with autistic neurology ,it can be cancer ,people taking immuno suppressant drugs lack of a spleen ,after a heart transplant ,any organ transplant,allergy to sunlight caused by certain prescription drugs,genetically allergic to sunlight,genetic lack of body temperature control.

New Threads

Top Bottom