• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Organisation, prioritising and time management

Appleslime

Hi, anyone else find being organised a real hard task? I feel like I have to think about every single thing I do in so much detail and plan it. For example I will plan to vacuum but after thinking about it I will decide it better to dust first and then I decide not to dust because I'm freshly showered and wearing clean clothes. This results in no vacuuming. Same with other things, I have a routine where on bed change day I have to go to bed having done all hair removal (I'm female so this can take time), having washed dried and straightened my hair, applied my new nail colour and in clean pj's. If anything disrupts that ie if there isn't enough time to wash and style hair or I have no nail varnish remover, the whole thing will not happen.... Bed doesn't get changed. Does anyone have any tips on how to lower the expectations of myself and allow myself to complete tasks 'un perfectly,'

My difficulties in planning and organizing are mostly different but it's still one of my biggest problems. I have trouble starting, not getting distracted by everything else, lose my scissors a dozen times, get a painting framed and then realize I forgot to photograph it so then I unframe. My working memory is bad and I tested borderline ADHD though that means about nothing to me just being a word.

As for perfection, don't know, it's not easy to get to the point of accepting "good enough" but when you do get there things are easier. I only have been a perfectionist in a few areas of life and mostly in school. In first grade I would erase holes in my paper trying to make perfect letters. Part of why my homework was rarely done was because I didn't have time or energy for perfect. If I could go back I'd happily turn in all sorts of stuff as good enough. I'd risk drawing Micky Mouse in a boat as a history report on World War II. Better than nothing. That doesn't always work with everything in life, and wouldn't have gotten me much in the way of a grade but still, I would of at least turned something in.

All I can think of is make list of what you need to do, figure out what genuinely matters, and then organize. Write each task on an index card so you can move them around until the order is right. Keep your stuff organized so you can see at a glance if you are out of nail varnish remover and can plan accordingly. Hair being clean matters more than hair being styled. Either have an alternative styling plan for when you are short time or get a wash and go style.Try to have a regular schedule so you have a day that you dust and vacuum before showering or learn to cover up your hair and clothes while cleaning. An apron and a head scarf. And break up your routines so each item is independent of the others. Writing it all individually on index cards might help because they are then visually separate.

Just random thoughts. I'm sitting here writing all this potentially as a way to procrastinate my day so I really haven't mastered the art of organizing, prioritizing, and time either. Hope others have better ideas than me and in part for selfish reason. I could always use tips. Anyhoo, I can relate and wish you luck on your search for a solution. :)

I bumble along but maintaining an organised home is something I have always struggled with. I have 3 children and the difficulties I face lead to many meltdowns.... I'm able to control my meltdowns... . As in I can hold my feelings in until I'm at home. People on the outside would be shocked if they knew what I'm like behind closed doors. I am very fortunate that my husband has always been fantastic, he doesn't really understand the meltdowns but his practical approach..... Filling out forms and helping around the house etc is a wonderful support. My children are young enough to accept me how I am, I think my eldest is aspergers

Writing it all individually on index cards might help because they are then visually separate.

I'd be in serious trouble without my post-it notes. ;)

By all means, write it down. It's the difference between something lost in translation in your head, versus something written down that you can refer to later if need be.

I do try very hard to time keep as best I can, but the whole world knows I couldn't organise a piss up in a Brewery, and I'm not kidding :D

I’m okay if there’s no change of plans.

I may have meticulously planned the most efficient ways of achieving all that needs to be done.
(Or at least all that I feel are my responsibilities)

Husband may arrive home and throw in a few things he forgot to mention the night before.

I want to boil his head in hot oil when he does that.

One of three things may happen:

I express my displeasure,
Perhaps not as politely as I’m capable.

I alphabetically run through a fruit and veg’ list (to prevent or delay the above)

I amend my plans.
(Which can take a little while to re organise)

He can’t help being forgetful in the same way I currently depend on planning and time management.

I have 30 hours of work to do in 8 hours or less:eek:. If my advice above is worthless, well, it's not from a very good source;).

I bumble along but maintaining an organised home is something I have always struggled with. I have 3 children and the difficulties I face lead to many meltdowns.... I'm able to control my meltdowns... . As in I can hold my feelings in until I'm at home. People on the outside would be shocked if they knew what I'm like behind closed doors. I am very fortunate that my husband has always been fantastic, he doesn't really understand the meltdowns but his practical approach..... Filling out forms and helping around the house etc is a wonderful support. My children are young enough to accept me how I am, I think my eldest is aspergers

How old are your children, if you don't mind me asking.

I can totally relate to the feeling of being overwhelmed. I can't decide where to start, so I just don't.

I find it easier to divide longer or more complicated tasks up into stages or smaller tasks, and give myself smaller, less complex targets for each day, otherwise I can find having too much or too many tasks to do at once overwhelming.

New Threads

Top Bottom