• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Opinions and Rose-Tinted Glasses

Riley

Just to get this off my chest: I use Tumblr. And I utterly hate myself for it. That and having autism makes me a walking stereotype.

But what I hate the most about Tumblr is the fact it makes me hate myself for the little things. Like appreciating Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique. Or watching/reading The Hunger Games. It also made me rethink all those times I defended Jared Leto. As well as the fact my family is primarily Marvel people.

I hate complaints about white-washing. I hate complaints about dickish behavior that isn't rape or pedophilia. I want people to stop exposing everything I love.

Utterly hate yourself? That's pretty darn strong (utterly = completely and without qualification). Furthermore, from what I've read of your posts on this forum, you are most definitely NOT a walking stereotype. You are one of a kind (in a good way). You might try being kinder to yourself. You'll feel better.

Tumblr has degraded over the past few years. It's ruined a lot of fandoms or just made them really cringy (furries, SJWs, overly attached fangirls and whatnot) and the rage on there is so ludicrous that it became a joke. I can understand why people would have rage over things like white washing and bullying, but sometimes it gets taken too far. I've found you have to skim through posts, and i know it can be difficult when everything you love is nitpicked, but some people have been through so much crap that now they can only be critical. Don't get sucked into thier negativity. Even if your beliefs are seen as every single kind of -ist or -phobic, you need to live your life, under the rules you see as just, and not someone's expectations. I'm an autistic nerd on tumblr too, and i can say that like me, you're not a walking stereotype. You're a teenage girl with an internet connection. There are a lot of those, and none of them can be put into the narrow box that is a walking stereotype.

Thanks, you guys.

I see myself as a stereotype because I'm fat and wear glasses. Not to mention I'll go "fanboy" and often resort to treating others the way they messed with something. Until I back down and realize how stupid that would be. Or provide a logical argument.

I hate the ide of a celebrity I love being problematic in some way because, if I defend them, I'll be one of those people. Blind to the faults of their fallen idols.

The only exception to my habit of blindly following someone's opinion is in the case of my One True Cinematic Love: Oblivion. The 1994 sci-fi with Andrew Divoff.

Are you exactly like the "autistic" woman portrayed in the movie Please Stand By (2017), if you haven't seen it please watch the trailer? Even though the movie is not even that realistic and the leading role of the "autistic" woman is in fact played by an NT (Dakota Fanning), this is still likely to become the latest stereotype of an autistic woman that many NTs will now expect, but from what you've described about yourself and also from what you've written on other threads you seem nothing like her. Stereotypes in my opinion cause prejudice and even autistic people who might seem to fit a particular stereotype are in fact all unique individuals in their own right. Be yourself, walk your own path towards self discovery and improvement, try not to worry too much about what other people think.

Best of luck! :)

PS: For the full discussion on the movie Please Stand By (2017), including my response, please see this thread.

Last edited:
No. I'm nothing like her. She speaks stiffly; I talk fast and mangle my words. She likes Star Trek; I'm into Oblivion '94. She's blonde, I'm a brunette. She lives in a group home; I have a mom and dad.

@Crossbreed Eh. I'll think about it. But I found Oblivion and Doctor Mordrid because of Mortal Kombat. More specifically: Return To Outworld (Actual Title: Mortal Kombat 2: Annihilation).

New Threads

Top Bottom