• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oculus Rift on Xbox One, wireless VR headset, UK release date?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I looked on Google earlier, and the Oculus Rift is out on the PC, but I can't find a UK release date for the Xbox One version that doesn't require a Windows PC to operate.

Does anyone else know? According to something I read earlier, the VR technology is still headache inducing, so it might be a couple of years away from public consumption, but can anyone else answer my question?

Last edited:
I couldn't find any information relative to a version of Oculus Rift ported exclusively to XBox One, let alone a UK release date for it.

Though I did find an article about the Oculus "GO" unit, which appears to be a stand-alone product not dependent on any other operating systems- or consoles. However there doesn't appear to be any definitive UK release date for that product either.

Looks interesting, whenever it's eventually released. Not too encouraging though to see that Mark Zuckerberg owns the company. Let's hope his present problems don't slow down the pace of this product making it to the marketplace. After all, he's a little distracted at the moment. Mentally and financially. :eek:

New, cheaper Oculus VR headset doesn’t need a PC | Metro News

Last edited:
Microsoft haven't said it's going to be coming to Xbox One, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

so it might be a couple of years away from public consumption

VR is already available for the public. I've used an Oculus Rift on a PC, and while it is a little disorientating I haven't experienced headaches and neither have other people I know who have one/use one. I would imagine everyone is different. I do have PSVR on loan from my sister, and while it is enjoyable, you can see the difference between that and the much more expensive Rift.

Maybe something at E3. VR hasn't flopped as a lot of people were expecting it to. With HTC and Steam releasing the Vive Pro, one might make the presumption that another Oculus could be on the horizon. Again, maybe at E3? Don't hold your breath though.

I've picked up Skyrim VR on my PC (I now own 4 copies of Skyrim) and surprising I've found, after playing on it for about 4 hours, to not be a nauseating experience! And that's with normal movement and turning. I think it might be down to their FOV limitations they put in place during movement; it becomes a bit tunnel-visioned. It's very good! Hopefully more developers will look at Skyrim and copy what they've done because it certainly works for me!

Honestly though with Windows Mixed Reality HMDs becoming a thing, I'd expect Microsoft to pair up with anyone at this point. Or not. Since we've known for years that the HoloLens was in development. Why cut off your nose despite your face?

I've started reading that Xbox players - or Xbots - have taken to calling PlayStation players as Ponys. I admit I did get a cheap chuckle out of that.

I know I've gone on about it a little too much many but I'm glad I don't get angry over console flag waving any more. Too much pointless anger. Not good for you. Screw fanaticism.

Meh, I know the Sony zealots have PS VR, but we Xboxers want VR as well.

I wouldn't completely rule it out I suppose. However, I'm not sure you'd like the price if VR ever was to come to XBOne. The PSVR was around £420 when it was released and you had to then buy the camera on top. I believe you can get them some place for under £300 now. If Microsoft did partner up with, say..Oculus..then it wouldn't be cheap. You only need look at the prices for Oculus for PC to see why PSVR even at it's original price is considered the 'cheap' end of the VR market.

I've started reading that Xbox players - or Xbots - have taken to calling PlayStation players as Ponys. I admit I did get a cheap chuckle out of that.

I know I've gone on about it a little too much many but I'm glad I don't get angry over console flag waving any more. Too much pointless anger. Not good for you. Screw fanaticism.

I 100% agree. Fan boys need to get over it. I had always had PlayStation because that's what was available pre-Xbox, then I had the original XB, 360 and the One. The reason I switched back to PlayStation was, for me, simply because everyone I know and want to play games with is on PS4 exclusively. Now I can fully enjoy games like Destiny 2 because I have people to play with (yes on Xbox I could have used matchmaking, but I wouldn't voice chat with people I don't know.)

Can confirm VR is not headache inducing for most people (at least not the latest generation - DK1 and DK2 were still a bit clunky). I've had a Rift for about a year now and live and work in it as much as possible! My 5 year old cousin and my 83 year old grandfather have used it without issues (and everyone else I know in between).

The only critique I would have is that some people find it too annoying to work out in due to sweating (I practically drown when I exercise), so you need to buy disposable masks to wear underneath. But if you're not intending to spend 2 hours a day kickboxing/drumming in VR, then you'll probably be ok. Give it a few years and they will likely come out with a super lightweight headset anyway.

But I'm a pretty active VR user and never have any side effects. I waited years for modern VR an the novelty still hasn't worn off. Everything is better in VR! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom