• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsession "fast" - how long can I Iast?

PanPaniscus

Former Moderator
V.I.P Member
Lame thread title I know, but anyway.

Last night I was talking to an online friend on MSN, and we were on about our opinions on eachother. And he said that apes are a big part of my life or something similar, so in other words I'm crazy obsessed. Now, this has embarrassed me so much I have decided to set myself a challenge, I'm going to see how long I can last without ever talking about my obsessions (all of them), reading about them, watching videos about them etc. And see how long it takes before I go completely mad.

After I make this thread, not one of my special interests in either apes or evolution will be mentioned or persued. How long do you think I could last for?

This is interesting. I suppose it depends on how much effort you put into not reading or talking about them. The first few days would be easy but then it would begin to get more difficult with each day that passes. I would guess you could last for about a week or two.

How will we know you haven't cheated? :p

If you feel this is of benefit to you, then I wish you the best of luck!!!

However, as an Aspie who has given up most of my interests to "fit in" I advise against it...be yourself and enjoy your obsessions by finding others who are interested in your particular knowledge/interests.

I find I can "fit in" just about anywhere now, and often feel like I'm being tortured the whole time because I know that "I" am not accepted, it is merely a character I made up that is being accepted.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I failed miserably on Wednesday night :lol:
There was a programme on about Bubbles (that chimpanzee that Jacko kept in the 80s) and their story and also what Bubbles is up to now. So I had to watch it.
So altogether that lasted one day.

If you feel this is of benefit to you, then I wish you the best of luck!!!

However, as an Aspie who has given up most of my interests to "fit in" I advise against it...be yourself and enjoy your obsessions by finding others who are interested in your particular knowledge/interests.

I find I can "fit in" just about anywhere now, and often feel like I'm being tortured the whole time because I know that "I" am not accepted, it is merely a character I made up that is being accepted.

It wasn't really to fit in, I just wanted to test how obsessed I am by seeing how long I could go without them. And also because my online friend embarrassed me about it.

I don't even consider it an obsession, but a Kinks album is always on a rotation in my car. You might get withdrawals...:p

I wouldn't even know how to start, I'd have to put gas in my truck, I wouldn't have any social activities, I would have to buy new shoes, and go to the gym. My interest is bicycling, and it's also my main form of transportation. So no, I don't think I could give it up. There are four bicycles in my "bike room" right now, plus all sorts of tools and parts, and my extra wheels and tires. Cycling is where I socialize, (and the one place people don't think I'm too weird) it's stress reducing, health improving, balances my moods/ energy thingy. It's an interest that takes me out into the world instead of isolating from it.

Aside from the active part of my interest, riding, training, racing (racing badly lately). Retreating into my alone time with my obsession is something that comforts me after a long day of being in a nearly overwhelmed state. It's soothing and at the same time exciting, even if I'm just researching some aspect on the interweb, or cleaning road grime off a bike, or planning a new upgrade some some bit of mech on my cyclocross bike. I don't believe for the most part that restricting interest is a good thing. But at the same time I have had periods where my interests were taking too much time from my life, interfering with sleep and work, and my relationship. Rather than setting limits on an activity, I try to plan other things around my interest. Work, sleep, shopping, together time, meals, etc... Whatever time left over is mine and I fill it with bicycles, riding, and racing, even photographing bike races. I bargain with my partner to swap out things like shopping and cooking to times that still allow me to go on rides, since I the group rides and race times are something I can't change. I also steal time, going out after dinner to make a quick ride. Or turning my 5 mile ride home from work into a 20mile ride. I have discovered that for my partner some time slots are seen as more valuable than others. Dinner 6pm, Together watching TV time 8pm, Saturday morning grocery shopping, etc... These are HIS times, when I want to do something that affects those times I have to make sure he's ok with it or he gets upset with me. He usually doesn't mind if I plan something on a few days, but if I get too much going on in those times he gets resentful about my interest. I am learning.

I have tried this before. I don't usually last more than a few minutes or hours. But like the person into biking, much of my world now revolves around the topic, so I couldn't get away from it even when I want to. Someone else would inevitably bring up the topic.

New Threads

Top Bottom