• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not a Debate about an Autistic Community

vickygleitz

Because, we are going to do it. We should be purchasing 2 or 3 homes in Pueblo, Colorado in the next couple of years and growing from there. I would rather answer specific questions about it because I do not know what everyone wants to hear about. We won't be far from Ocate Cliffs [ a great plus] and we are going to be putting emphasis on entrepeneurship.

We discussed the idea at AutHaven in Colorado in February. There will be much more planning for it at next years Authaven in March [ 4 nights. $150 per person. a limited amount of scholarships will be available] In addition to planning the Autistic community within an already existing community, we will be working on future steps for Ocate Cliffs [ a retreat center being built in NM that will be totally run by Autistics] hopefully get more people involved in Rhizome Program. There was also be good food,fun, entertainment,hiking, free billiards and pin ball, hot tub, sauna, and the First Autistic blindfolded golfcart rodeo!

I did not go into detail here but I can give detailed answers.

Blindfolds and golf carts? That doesn't sound very safe . . . I assume there will be some manner of supervision involved.

But Ocale Cliffs sounds like it'll be a pretty fun place! If I ever make it out to New Mexico, I'll have to check it out. :)

Oh, and there will be crafts and goody bags and I will show you how to turn an ugly, stained formica countertop into a beautiful faux granite countertop for 20 bucks.

In february at autHaven, we went to the Denver Aquarium, I would like to do that again next year.We also had our first annual Dinner of Thanks [ thanksgiving/Christmas dishes and we will have our second annual next March.

Come on guys, ask questions.

come on people. Autistics are NOT inherrantly passive. We have been trained to be that way. Let's get together and make huge changes! We CAN change our world [and everyone elses so much better!

That's great, but . . . supervisor for what? Questions?

Anyway, what sorts of things do we need to get this place up and running? (Money is definitely a big one.)
Are you speaking of Pueblo, AutHaven, or Ocate cliffs? There is [so far small] fundraising being done. My 20 year old son was volunteering at the first workcamp at Ocate and loved it. The Autistic Community within an already existing community will be starting with 3 homes and loads of deterimnation. We need to work together. Of course we can work together though we need to learn how[through experience]

My autistic grand children, will be able to tell their autistic grandchildren about how they helped change the world for autistics [and everyone else] for the better.

I am so doped up from my medical procedure today [cancer, the gift that just keeps giving] but, I am involved in all 3, and they are working together synergistically in ways they never would if being done seperate from each other.

A little about why we chose Pueblo for the community. These are a few of many. one,cute little fixer-uppers can still be purchased for under 50 grand in Pueblo. It is near Ocate, so, when that gets beyond the building stage, people from our community can work there and still "come home" every couple weeks [2 hour drive] I have gotten to know a man who teaches at the University and is a geographical statistician. He is buying homes like crazy because he is sure that Pueblo will be the next retirement mecca for seniors.He's talking 10 years before major impact.

During this time, the IT dudes can be doing IT stuff. The rocket scientists can commute to colorado Springs. Many of us can work, or supplement our social security with dog walking,pooperscooping,house sitting, elder care,yard work, running errands,baking, etc

For the artists [and the farmers] there is a beautiful river walk. During warm weather there is a weekly farmers market, where you can also sell your art, jewelry, etc, To rent a space it is $10 per day or$100 per season.

We will be buying homes for people and we will need some good consrtuction people.

A 35 day bus pass is only $22 for disabled.

Sorry, eyes too tired,but I do not just talk. I was told that AutHaven was an impossibility, and it still happened. We have to stop believing the "loser lie" and then we can do anything.

We MIGHT have our first house. Probably putting in first bid tommorrow. Going to lowball, but,you never know. We are offering 17% below asking price. Willing to go to 10% below asking price. It is a tiny fixer-upper. Looks like someone was in the process of rehabbing but life got in the way.

Because, we are going to do it. We should be purchasing 2 or 3 homes in Pueblo, Colorado in the next couple of years and growing from there. I would rather answer specific questions about it because I do not know what everyone wants to hear about. We won't be far from Ocate Cliffs [ a great plus] and we are going to be putting emphasis on entrepeneurship.

Vicky, thank you for putting this discussion in one thread, so that everyone is on the "same sheet of music".

In february at autHaven, we went to the Denver Aquarium, I would like to do that again next year.We also had our first annual Dinner of Thanks [ thanksgiving/Christmas dishes and we will have our second annual next March.

Vicky, could you please go into more detail about the annual DInner of Thanks? That sounds like an event that many might be interested in.

Not a nudist resort. we are renting a nudist camp

Just to confirm, the intentional community is NOT a nudist location, correct?

A little about why we chose Pueblo for the community. These are a few of many. one,cute little fixer-uppers can still be purchased for under 50 grand in Pueblo. It is near Ocate, so, when that gets beyond the building stage, people from our community can work there and still "come home" every couple weeks [2 hour drive] I have gotten to know a man who teaches at the University and is a geographical statistician. He is buying homes like crazy because he is sure that Pueblo will be the next retirement mecca for seniors.He's talking 10 years before major impact.

Are you indicating that habitable homes can be purchased for the full price of $50,000 in Pueblo? That's an lower price than many locations that some of our readers may be familiar with.

Anyone here interested in getting involved with any of these projects?

What sort of support are you looking for from the community right now?

We are closing on a home on September 13. NOT move-in ready, but we are paying $30,000 for it [it was listed for $34,900]
Structure, plumbing, roof, electrical, all seem to be in good shape [ inspection is next Tuesday, so we;ll know for sure then] Needs new floors, wall repair, appliances, and mostly cosmetic. And no, the intentional community will NOT be in a nudist resort.
What support am I interested in? That is difficult to answer. I am a little dissapointed that so many posts about this are ignored by the same people who have expressed their desire for a more accepting environment with more opportunities and they express a desire to get to know other Autistics.So many have said they want change. But posts from those taking action [not just me] seem to be totally ignored. Even interest and questions and ideas would all feel like support.

i'd like to go to a nudist place someday. if i wanted to be a nudist, i'd only want to be a part-time one

New Threads

Top Bottom