• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newly diagnosed and it explains so much!

Hi Kale,
I am newly self-diagnosed and am navigating some of the same issues. Gainfully employed with children. I deal with coworkers and clients by masking, which is exhausting and becoming more unsustainable as the years pass. Realizing that through very inefficient hard work I can "do" neurotypical, but I can't "be" neurotypical.
I can completely relate to how much it gets harder over the years. When I was younger I knew folks thought I was weird but bullying forced me to learn to mask in order to stay a little safer and due to the chance variables, “looking normal” and meeting another neurodivergent adolescent who became and still is my best friend, I was able to meet educational and professional goals.

Yet Through the years I’ve been subject to bullying at work, lost jobs even though I had good reviews because the typical neurodivergent masking challenges (and failures). Somehow it seems to be getting harder and more stressful. I love my job, it’s good for me except for the exhausting and stressful requirement to mask.Yesterday I read on one of the main autism support websites that ASDers in the level 1 group have a lifespan 16 years shorter than neurotypical peers. It was pretty shocking to hear I may only have another 6 years. I’m trying not to think about it too much. Right now my #1 goal is to make enough to help my son get through college.

Warm welcome to the group and thank you for reaching out!

Kale

Yikes. That's a sobering statistic. Though I am guessing the chronic stress, fatigue, sleep disorders, and maladaptive coping strategies can contribute to that truncated life span.

Yikes. That's a sobering statistic. Though I am guessing the chronic stress, fatigue, sleep disorders, and maladaptive coping strategies can contribute to that truncated life span.
That’s what I’m thinking. I’ve spent my lifetime eating a heart healthy diet and exercising almost everyday. I’m a weight described by the powers that be as healthy yet I also have all the conditions you mentioned so my heart is not as healthy as it should be. The only thing I’m not doing for it is reducing stress. I try. I meditate, practice yoga and deep breathing plus vagal nerve stimulation. I even went through 6 weeks of TMS for depression. I think it helped? so here’s to trying our best and finding a supportive community.

Warmly,

Kale

TMS was recommended to me also. Seems we're on a bit of a similar journey. I vacillate between periods of "Now that I know what's wrong with me I can fix it!" and the knowledge that I've spent my entire life trying to fix it to no avail.

TMS was recommended to me also. Seems we're on a bit of a similar journey. I vacillate between periods of "Now that I know what's wrong with me I can fix it!" and the knowledge that I've spent my entire life trying to fix it to no avail.
I’m vacillating between that as well! I really want to fix it and fear the best I can do is accept and continue to develop work-arounds, just with more information. I’m seeking a more in-depth evaluation that will identify my strengths and weaknesses and possibly seek assistance with what I struggle with. I hope strategy and knowledge will help. I live by strategic and planning. I also have a therapist who is helping me understand neurotypicals more. I been obsessed with reading books , research and seeking resources to a problematic extent since I got the screening results. But I know it’ll wind down soon and I’ll be better of for it.

If I could construct a world in which my work life, family life, and social life allowed me to only work with my strengths life would be so much better. Wish that were realistic.

New Threads

Top Bottom