• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newbie from Northern Europe

kneeproblemguy

Hi folks, I am an old guy with kneeproblem. Promise me, never get old. You will most likely have knee problem like me.

My Cousin 15 years elder than me have severe kneeproblems and it has started on me too. Used to walk and now the knee says Stop that hurts :)

ok a bit off topic. I got dignosed about 1999 if I remember. I had to wait in line or queue for three years. They had not enough people being expert here. So long waiting line.

I did not want the diagnose at first. You know some kind of stigma still to the term AS.

Sadly I am not High functional like many other AS are. I barely get along here. Fortunately I am so old that I am a pensioner retired person so don't have to fight for to get a job.

I have failed at every work I tried so my life has been a sad story of total failure and loser is the correct way to refer to me.

I got surprised over this thing in the rules section.

7. We have a zero-tolerance policy for all forms of Aspergers, Autism and even NT Supremacy.

Sure if that is how you want it then I do my best to live up to that. Are there threads explaining why it was so important to say this very blunt and explicit "zero-tolerance policy" and the very very strong word Supremacy.

Is it common that some are that adamant and using such strong words for their views?

Maybe it is due to me being a total failure that I had no idea this topic was that sensitive stuff?

Is it okay to admit that I am very low functional. Are one still welcome as a low functional person?

English not may native lang so a lot of grammar error will happen when I write. Okay.

Over to you folks

KPG

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I got surprised over this thing in the rules section.

7. We have a zero-tolerance policy for all forms of Aspergers, Autism and even NT Supremacy.

Sure if that is how you want it then I do my best to live up to that. Are there threads explaining why it was so important to say this very blunt and explicit "zero-tolerance policy" and the very very strong word Supremacy.

Is it common that some are that adamant and using such strong words for their views?

The rule is in place in order to prevent the forum from becoming like some AS forums (which I won't name here) in which people express intolerant AS supremacist/NT bashing opinions, which goes against our goal of promoting tolerance for people with different types of minds. I don't have much experience with this myself, but apparently the rule is necessary in order to make sure that Aspies Central is a tolerant, welcoming environment. Some of the other mods can probably elaborate on this a little better than I can.

Is it okay to admit that I am very low functional. Are one still welcome as a low functional person?

People at all levels of functioning are welcome at Aspies Central.

English not may native lang so a lot of grammar error will happen when I write. Okay.

Not a problem either. This is an international forum with several non-native English speakers, so nobody is going to be the "grammar police."

Last edited:
Ah thanks then I get it a bit better. When I was totally new to AS I started to read on the internet and borrowed books and tried to read up to what is was all about. Then I did look for local groups where I live and found a few that was rather active and them had some tendencies like what you IContainMultitudes described there in your answer.

Yes I can see the need to not have kind of endless "flamewar" going on relating to such issues.

Later most likely tomorrow my local time I will try to get active in other parts of teh forum.

So thanks for accepting me. If I ever out of whimsical poor memory do something that is not proper just give me a friendly reminder and I do my best to be a friendly forum member.

Later most likely tomorrow my local time I will try to get active in other parts of teh forum.

So thanks for accepting me. If I ever out of whimsical poor memory do something that is not proper just give me a friendly reminder and I do my best to be a friendly forum member.

Will do. So far, you don't seem to be someone we'll have problems with. The basic rules for the forum are pretty simple; if your intent is to be a friendly forum member, I think you'll do ok here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, you'll fit in well here. :)

That rule you are referring to was put in place to stop some people from thinking they are superior to others. Some people like to think that they are superior to those without Autism/Aspergers and vice-versa. At Aspies Central we like to promote a welcoming community where we are equal.

Thanks Droopy, I sure can see the merit in such an approach. My take is that it is how one behave that is the most important thing.

suppose that I am right about my very subjective self image that I really am low achieving. Then that could be something that is measurable. Slow grasping jokes, clumsy while learning motor movement of body, stumbling on how to pronounce words not getting math, not getting geeky descriptions on how to get a program or a phpBB code to work. long list of total failures.

I mean it is one thing to admit that I sure do fail at all these and many other behaviors or lack of skill in doing them.

What one should stress is that one don't have to look down upon me as morally less human because I fail to grasp things as fast as Highly Functional persons? I do my best to grasp things. Struggle hard even :)

Hi Kneeproblemguy, and welcome,

It is good to see another "older" guy on here (I am 46 years old, no knee problems yet).

Being low-functioning is okay. I have always been pretty low-functioning in a lot of areas. I'll bet there is stuff that you are good at that you don't even realize.

As for the zero-tolerance for supremacy views, this forum is pretty good on that score, I haven't seen too much of that sort of thing here. But on other forums you do get people who are convinced that aspies/autistics are superior to neurotypicals, even that we are the next step in evolution. And you get the occasional blow-in neurotypical troll who thinks he/she can get a rise out of the aspies by calling them retarded or losers or whatever. They are usually good fun to belittle, actually.

142857 yes I met such locally here when I tried to go to AS meeting places. Yearly conferences and such.
I trust it has to do with self image. None want to see himself as a loser so most of us try to have a forgiving eye
or even think one have accomplished things. I was like that for a long time until I hit the wall.

Failed to get work for decades and had not old age saved me I would have ended up living in the woods.

what I am most upset over is the ADHD thing. I mean it is one thing to be odd and have special interests and sure it
can be bad to fail to read others body language and it would be nice if I could express my empathy in the way most people expect but to have severe ADHD is very annoying even for me and something that others hate.

Them insist to talk the full meaning and not get interupted by me all the time. I am too dominating always wanting to say something when all the others wants to be silent and think for themselves and not listen to me chattering along aimlessly.

To not have control over inner impulses is seen as very bad behavior. And I easily get triggered into verbal fights which I always lose too. :)

So I am not sure I have what you suggest there at all.

Anyway thanks for caring about me

That rule you are referring to was put in place to stop some people from thinking they are superior to others. Some people like to think that they are superior to those without Autism/Aspergers and vice-versa. At Aspies Central we like to promote a welcoming community where we are equal.

This is exactly what my dream forum is like! :) So logically, AC is my dream forum.

New Threads

Top Bottom