• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to site quick question Autism vs Asbergers

The line between autism and Asperger's has blurred quite a bit in recent diagnosis. Since 2014 Asperger's became, essentially "mild autism" (something the community and plenty of psychiatrists don't agree with), which might add to the confusion why they're both around.

Before 2014, one could differentiate Asperger's and autism in that autism often was considered "classic autism".

Classic autism has some deficits that the asperger's diagnosis didn't
I was given the autistic label due to a late development of speech history as a child. In the older versions of the diagnostic statistical manual,Asperger's Syndrome was attached to those who were autistic but spoke at the correct time and didn't have severe learning deficits.
DSM 5 now uses an umbrella of autism spectrum disorders with varying degrees of setbacks

You also have to keep in mind that anyone on the spectrum is unique,so there is no one size fits all so to speak ;)

ok then for sure I have autism because I had severe and still do learning deficit along with much, much more

That is a realm that no one here is qualified to answer,only offer our own opinions.

The other part that comes into play is the subjectivity of a diagnosis. Two clinical people may see it two different ways ;)

autism severe is no talk but functioning is limited. aspergers doesnt seem a diagnosis. i dont think so.

The key difference strictly speaking in the ICD 10 and DSM 4 is there's no language delay in Asperger's and the person's IQ is at least 70 with some showing signs of giftedness. You can definitely have learning difficulties like dyslexia and dysgraphia and still have Asperger's.

Some professionals argue though that you can still have a language delay and get the diagnosis of Asperger's if the person has since caught up.

Last edited:
The key difference strictly speaking in the ICD 10 and DSM 4 is there's no language delay in Asperger's and the person's IQ is at least 70 with some showing signs of giftedness. You can definitely have learning difficulties like dyslexia and dysgraphia and still have Asperger's.

Some professionals argue though that you can still have a language delay and get the diagnosis of Asperger's if the person say since caught up.
Yes,that is where the subjective parts kick in...it is all up to who does the assessment.
Psychology is just a bunch of educated guesses in a field where there is no common ground ;)

Since 2014 Asperger's became, essentially "mild autism" (something the community and plenty of psychiatrists don't agree with), which might add to the confusion why they're both around.

This what I have learned. In my diagnosis, they said I was at the "mild end" of the autism spectrum and would previously have been aspergers. As a result, I use the expression ASD (autism spectrum disorder).

(something the community and plenty of psychiatrists don't agree with),

What are the areas of disagreement ? Be interested to know. I've just gone along with names and diagnoses, without question.

What are the areas of disagreement ? Be interested to know. I've just gone along with names and diagnoses, without question.

From what I've understood is that the programmes needed for support for people with autism, and in a sense "classical autism" don't really suit people with Asperger's. The difficulties they face are different. For Aspies one could consider social skills training more relevant for example, yet because of the standardisation specific programmes are disapppearing in favor for a single method. It's probably a financial matter for insurance companies most though.

I suppose giving Asperger's a section it's own is a stretch, but many think it's different enough to be a thing.

From what I understood, Asperger's and autism come from different researches to begin with but because of the overlap it's defined as a subtype between 1994 and 2014 (DSM IV).. which IMO should say something. Ditching the label Asperger's and changing the general diagnostics tool for autism doesn't make it less of an impairment. Similarly, there have been some reports about less people being diagnosed with autism in general, limiting access to those who need it. That's how awesome new diagnostics criteria have been thus far. I suspect Asperger's will return in 5 years or so when there's a revision of the DSM v, much like some things get corrected when the DSM IV was around.

From what I've understood is that the programmes needed for support for people with autism, and in a sense "classical autism" don't really suit people with Asperger's. The difficulties they face are different. For Aspies one could consider social skills training more relevant for example, yet because of the standardisation specific programmes are disapppearing in favor for a single method. It's probably a financial matter for insurance companies most though.

I suppose giving Asperger's a section it's own is a stretch, but many think it's different enough to be a thing.

From what I understood, Asperger's and autism come from different researches to begin with but because of the overlap it's defined as a subtype between 1994 and 2014 (DSM IV).. which IMO should say something. Ditching the label Asperger's and changing the general diagnostics tool for autism doesn't make it less of an impairment. Similarly, there have been some reports about less people being diagnosed with autism in general, limiting access to those who need it. That's how awesome new diagnostics criteria have been thus far. I suspect Asperger's will return in 5 years or so when there's a revision of the DSM v, much like some things get corrected when the DSM IV was around.

Really helpful answer, thank you.

When I've told people about my diagnosis, people then ask about aspergers. So I ended up explaining about the spectrum.

I'm being referred for some specific autism therapy sessions. So I guess, we shall see how helpful an ASD diagnosis has been.

For an Autism diagnosis (high-functioning or classic), there needs to be a significant language delay in childhood. For Asperger's, there is no language delay and no significant cognitive impairments.

it takes me a long time to say a sentence the right way which really frustrates me. Is that what language delay means?

No, a language delay is no speaking during early development.
They are a missed milestone during your younger years.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom