• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to site, looking for info

Jean Anne

Hi, I am not in the first flush of youth, divorced and have been in a "relationship" for a number of years with a guy that I thought was just a bit "odd" & who is of a similar age. He is a respected professional, lives on his own and has never been married.

For the first few years it was stop/ go, he would not contact me for weeks and then make contact as if it was perfectly normal. I explained how this upset me and we seemed to settle into a situation where we kind of muddled along. We had great weekends away, he visited my place for weekends & I accepted this situation. He did not want to meet my family or friends, he would not attend my family's weddings, birthday celebrations etc and he very reluctantly occasionally attended his own family functions but without inviting me. When both my brother and then sister died he did not go to the funerals.

One evening whilst out to dinner he unusually took a call from a male friend making arrangements for a cycling trip, he pretended to his friend he was on his own. I was terribly upset & eventually ended up breaking up with him. He wrote & called saying he did not understand why I was so upset and angry but apologised.

We got back together, things seemed to be fine until he recently had to go into hospital for an operation. He told me he didn't want me to visit, call or help out in any way & that he would contact me when he had recovered.

A close friend suggested that maybe he was on the Asperger's Syndrome & while I was researching on the internet I cam across this site & well folks, that is how and why I am here.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

upload_2017-10-21_12-41-33.png

Welcome.

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. There's not really enough information about him there and also none of us can diagnose. Best thing to do would probably be to speak to him about this.

Welcome here! I hope you enjoy this online community and feel right at home. :)

I think he is and here's why. It sounds like to me that he is trying to manage his social interactions as much as he can. He's trying to keep the number of people he interacts with as small as possible(3 can easily be a crowd for him.) and to make sure that his emergency "Social" shut-off button is always close at hand. Put it simply, I think he's got sensory processing issues.

Social interaction for him means that he as to be a full time chameleon. Going in and out of theatrical mode when needed. When confronted with a social moment. He has to go in to theatrical mode and once in theatrical mode. He has to write the play script and act the lines in real-time, and all without the benefit of being able to edit, rehearse or practice before doing. And if you make a mistake. You have no choice but to live with the consequences of the outcome.

Last edited:
I think he is and here's why. It sounds like to me that he is trying to manage his social interactions as much as he can. He's trying to keep the number of people he interacts with as small as possible(3 can easily be a crowd for him.) and to make sure that his emergency "Social" shut-off button is always close at hand. Put it simply, I think he's got sensory processing issues.

Social interaction for him means that he as to be a full time chameleon. Going in and out of theatrical mode when needed. When confronted with a social moment. He has to go in to theatrical mode and once in theatrical mode. He has to write the play script and act the lines in real-time, and all without the benefit of being able to edit, rehearse or practice before doing. And if you make a mistake. You have no choice but to live with the consequences of the outcome.
Hi, oh boy you just described me. I already know I have Sensory proc.Disorder. I really enjoyed reading your response to this woman's issue. I think you may be right.

New Threads

Top Bottom