• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Routines

Shenandoah

It's ubiquitously said that Aspies are routine bound. But I haven't seen much on the subject of how these routines develop.
What I see in myself is that it's not just following a routine but rather an urge to repeat something I have done the day before even if it's something new. Little things, for example if I go to bed later one day, I will want to go to bed later the next day as well. If I eat certain food in front of the tv I will be inclined to eat it the next night as well. Goes similarly to say workouts. If I add a certain excercise, I will just keep doing it even though it may not be productive anymore. It's to the point where I have to do a forceful "house cleaning" and remove some excercises I know I don't need anymore. But its difficult to do.
I.e. patterns set in easily and not easily broken.
Now strong interests. Mine are not permanent. Usually they last for a number of years and run their course and something new sets in before I know it. It's very easy to get into something and very difficult to get out so I pile up the routines one on top.if the other until there's just very little time in a day to do all of it.

It's ubiquitously said that Aspies are routine bound. But I haven't seen much on the subject of how these routines develop.
What I see in myself is that it's not just following a routine but rather an urge to repeat something I have done the day before even if it's something new. Little things, for example if I go to bed later one day, I will want to go to bed later the next day as well. If I eat certain food in front of the tv I will be inclined to eat it the next night as well. Goes similarly to say workouts. If I add a certain excercise, I will just keep doing it even though it may not be productive anymore. It's to the point where I have to do a forceful "house cleaning" and remove some excercises I know I don't need anymore. But its difficult to do.
Now strong interests. Mine are not permanent. Usually they last for a number of years and run their course and something new sets in before I know it. It's very easy to get into something and very difficult to get out so I pile up the routines one on top.if the other until there's just very little time in a day to do all of it.

That's interesting. I view routines as friendly time to occupy my brain. I don't think doing the same thing over is bad because we need familiarity in our life, l believe it keeps you centered. That's why religion is always having worship every Sunday to keep people grounded and centered and familiar. So working out is sorta my religion, it keeps my spiritual boat afloat.

But I haven't seen much on the subject of how these routines develop.

Good point.

For me, they develop organically and not through much force of will. In fact, even will to the contrary will lead to routines. How they lead to fixation over time tends to revolve around how much interest the routine holds, but once fixed they are very hard to break and stressful when not observed.

For example, if I decide to take up yoga, it is not part of my routine and I have no formed idea of making it one. I try out different classes and have no intention of just going to any in a particular set over and over again. But over time, I find that I am constantly only attending two time slots, showing up at the exact minute (30 minutes before class), going to the same place in the studio, setting up my mat in the same way (to the centimeter), laying the towel in the same way, setting the blocks in the same arrangement and doing all these things in a set order. At that point, this has become a fixed routine. If I miss a class or find myself running late for my already much too early arrival time, I will feel uncomfortable. The anxiety for this doesn't make any sense, but it can be quite stressful. I'm the only one who is going to care if my routine is upset, nobody else is dependent on my presence or the timing of such, but it is what it is.

This also can creep into how I interact with people and I'm sure it puts people off. For example, if someone is saying good morning to me at work, I will attempt to return the good morning. I think the issue is that, over time, I am returning the greeting in the exact same dispassionate manner every morning. Eventually they stop saying good morning to me, and then it feel awkward to pass them as they do not respond to mine. Interpersonal relationships of a casual nature are governed by routine, but I think you are suppose to add variety to the routine. Not something I can effectively do. I'm not the best at interpersonal relationships of a casual nature.

That's interesting. I view routines as friendly time to occupy my brain. I don't think doing the same thing over is bad because we need familiarity in our life, l believe it keeps you centered. That's why religion is always having worship every Sunday to keep people grounded and centered and familiar. So working out is sorta my religion, it keeps my spiritual boat afloat.

Not saying the repetition is bad, it's only bad then it's bad. Such as you know you do too much and can't stop and its causing issues such as time shortages, sleep deprivation, burnout etc.

Yes, I often find myself getting stuck doing things a particular way simply because I incidentally did it that way one or more time and am now just perpetually continuing that for the sake of repetition/routine. It's how a large number of my routines are established, maybe even most of them, and it could be as small as doing something with a particular hand or holding something a certain way or doing something in a particular order.

Yes, I often find myself getting stuck doing things a particular way simply because I incidentally did it that way one or more time and am now just perpetually continuing that for the sake of repetition/routine. It's how a large number of my routines are established, maybe even most of them, and it could be as small as doing something with a particular hand or holding something a certain way or doing something in a particular order.

Yes, I think I get these incidentals as well. For example, I have a number of light fixtures in the area that is my office/gym and recently my music room. For working I need two specific lights on to see well. For working out I need all of them and for music I need just one. I started playing music in this room recently. I recall the first time I just sat down on a couch and played without much thinking keeping only one light on. In a day or two I started getting a pretty distinct ping to recreate the same lighting config even though it doesn't matter at all.

Little things, for example if I go to bed later one day, I will want to go to bed later the next day as well.

I appear to be cursed with this one. And have developed a "rotating" sleep schedule as a result. Try as I might, I cannot seem to stop.

As it is I got up today at.... 3PM and will go to bed at... uh.... 7 AM? Somewhere around there? It's hard to keep track really. Approaching the night side of my cycle.

I appear to be cursed with this one. And have developed a "rotating" sleep schedule as a result. Try as I might, I cannot seem to stop.

As it is I got up today at.... 3PM and will go to bed at... uh.... 7 AM? Somewhere around there? It's hard to keep track really. Approaching the night side of my cycle.

I meant to say that I would want to go to bed at the same later time, but I know what you mean too. I also never want to go to bed no matter how tired (which I rarely am in at night). Given freedom I'd rotate around the clock a couple of time a year. As a compromise I have shortened my sleep to 6 hours which gives me a decent evening time and I am still up early enough to drive kids to school.

I meant to say that I would want to go to bed at the same later time, but I know what you mean too. I also never want to go to bed no matter how tired (which I rarely am in at night). Given freedom I'd rotate around the clock a couple of time a year. As a compromise I have shortened my sleep to 6 hours which gives me a decent evening time and I am still up early enough to drive kids to school.

Yeah, same here, I rarely get tired/sleepy. Seems odd.

That being said, you arent really missing anything by not doing the rotation. It gets frustrating! Messes with everything and being up all night is really boring. I actually rotate about every 2 weeks, though I can force it faster if needed. Not fun, but it is what it is, I guess.

In some ways I have benefitted from routines on my job. Because I do things the same way all the time I rarely make mistakes. After two co-workers left for other jobs, I took on their work on top of my own work until replacements were hired. Except it was discovered that I complete more work in less time than was completed when I had two co-workers. Previously some of my time was spent reviewing and correcting Work performed by others. Because I am so efficient working alone, management has decided to not fill the open positions. The only problem with this is it hasn’t yet translated into increased compensation.

I used to travel quite a lot in my work, and I always went to the same restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was so predictable that one restaurant I went to started preparing my breakfast without my even having to order. Breakfast was just there when I arrived.

In my personal life everything I do seems to be a routine. At first I didn’t realize I was like this until I started Thinking about it. I even separate and prioritize my food before eating without thinking about it. This used to fascinate my wife and family, but now I think it just makes me seem strange.

Regarding special interests, they vary over time with my learning everything I can before moving on to new interests. Most recently, I have become interested in epigenetics after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and polyneuropathy in 2017. I have since identified the genes that were causing problems, and reversed both the diabetes and polyneuropathy, lost 80 pounds, and now look 20 years younger than I did two years ago.

So, while the routines may seem weird, I have benefited from this lifestyle.

In some ways I have benefitted from routines on my job. Because I do things the same way all the time I rarely make mistakes. After two co-workers left for other jobs, I took on their work on top of my own work until replacements were hired. Except it was discovered that I complete more work in less time than was completed when I had two co-workers. Previously some of my time was spent reviewing and correcting Work performed by others. Because I am so efficient working alone, management has decided to not fill the open positions. The only problem with this is it hasn’t yet translated into increased compensation.

I used to travel quite a lot in my work, and I always went to the same restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I was so predictable that one restaurant I went to started preparing my breakfast without my even having to order. Breakfast was just there when I arrived.

In my personal life everything I do seems to be a routine. At first I didn’t realize I was like this until I started Thinking about it. I even separate and prioritize my food before eating without thinking about it. This used to fascinate my wife and family, but now I think it just makes me seem strange.

Regarding special interests, they vary over time with my learning everything I can before moving on to new interests. Most recently, I have become interested in epigenetics after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and polyneuropathy in 2017. I have since identified the genes that were causing problems, and reversed both the diabetes and polyneuropathy, lost 80 pounds, and now look 20 years younger than I did two years ago.

So, while the routines may seem weird, I have benefited from this lifestyle.

This all is really impressive. I am nowhere near your level of ability with my interests. Usually I get stuck in a rut going in circles without achieving anything particularity great.

Yeah, same here, I rarely get tired/sleepy. Seems odd.

That being said, you arent really missing anything by not doing the rotation. It gets frustrating! Messes with everything and being up all night is really boring. I actually rotate about every 2 weeks, though I can force it faster if needed. Not fun, but it is what it is, I guess.

2 weeks sounds pretty rough.

This all is really impressive. I am nowhere near your level of ability with my interests. Usually I get stuck in a rut going in circles without achieving anything particularity great.

Fear is a great motivator. I was already knowledgable of DNA analysis. My doctor at the time had no clue what I was doing, and I ended up leaving him because he would not listen to me.

The thing that keeps me sticking to routines is mainly anxiety or what will happen if I don't, even if sometimes that fear is illogical. For example, eating at a different time. Eating between meals. Going out late, or doing other spontaneous things. It's ok if it's planned before hand, or if it's my idea, but if it is imposed on me I don't like it and find it hard to accept/change.

New Threads

Top Bottom