• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Here.

BruceMknz

Hello all,
I'm Bruce.

At less than 4 months from turning 60, I found I'm on the high end of the Autism Spectrum. Giving reason to why life has been as it is.

ADHD, diagnosed in 98 was a revelation then, as (I'm not sure what to call it so I'll just use) Aspergers is now.

At this point, after researching the subject, it seems that Aspies abound in my world.
-My son and exwife are good candidates.
-In my immiatiate family of 6, it appears both parents, and 1 or 2 of my sibs are on the spectrum".
-Grandparents, most likely all in at a 100%.
-Of Cousins, aunts, and uncles, probably half, give or take..
-Friendships are conspicuously absent of neuro-typicals.

Having thought prerequisites for Aspergers were; not being able to read facial expression, lacking a sense of humor, and not getting sarcasm.
I thought the diagnostic criteria could not be met.
However, 6 weeks ago, new information came to light.
Guess what I found out?
I was wrong!

So here I am, about to turn 60, estranged form my only child.
He's 20, and for good reason hasn't spoken to me in over 2 years.
He thinks I'm the worlds biggest [insert derogatory adjecive(s) here], as I thought my father was. The part that hurts most is, I know he's right.

My mom, and sibs seem to take great joy in telling me how much I'm just like my dad, and as much as I hate to admit it, they're right!.

I spent my twenties and thirties trying to learn healthy parenting skills so I would be less like my parents, before having a children of my own.
To a small degree it helped, but.....

In my 'Mr Spock' like thinking, I've said things that it never occurred to me could be construed as cold and/or heartless.
After repeating one such comment to a friend, then immediately getting 'The Look' from her, there was no doubt in my mind that I'm lacking in some areas.

Feedback please,
Bruce

I am so sorry to hear you're struggling! Welcome to the forums, and I hope you search around for some suggestions and please feel free to ask anything you like. :)

wyv

New Threads

Top Bottom