• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here, 49 , Aspergers

I think making sure kids get to be outside sometimes and explore the natural world is extremely important! Growing up mostly immersed in nature and not being exposed much to video games or television helped shape the person I am as an adult.

I’m not saying it’s wrong or shameful for kids to like games or computers. But I think even now, my overall quality of life is much higher than it would be if I’d just sat around indoors like some people are letting their kids do nowadays. We didn’t even have the technology we do now when I was a kid, and now I see kids just being completely withdrawn into it. I think you are a great parent for giving your child the opportunity to explore and learn outside.

As an aside, I learned to memorize books as a toddler as well. I could actually read before I was in kindergarten :)
I’m still obsessed with books lol

Welcome, by the way! :)
Thank you. We as family enjoy time in woodlands, moorlands and beaches and have done since my wife passed her test two and half years ago. Unfortunately I don't drive, I have tried but I find manual cars difficult. I am thinking just to learn an automatic car instead and pass that test but then it's the expense of having two cars, plus not good for the environment either. We only have a small car and my wife seems to prefer that.

I think going out to places of nature is something my child enjoys, either because we did it from an early age or its just genetic as both of us parents enjoy that too. Could be that really, once we get kids away from YouTube, or watching TV/cartoons or video games, they do actually enjoy nature and the outdoors. Or it could be that we just did it from an early age with him so he is used to doing that.

We are going wild camping in Scotland next week. A bit daunting as I have never wild camped before and haven't been camping since 1987, and because it rained so much then, I didn't really enjoy it that much. I have much better equipment this time though and the benefit of having a car we can get in and drive away if it gets too much. It should be an experience though, we are going to the Highlands, my wife's first time there as she wanted to see the mountains up there

As I mentioned, we went to Northumberland recently and the magnificent beaches up there. No development or funfairs, rides, arcades, fish and chips, fast food places but that's why we loved it. Plus the beaches there are stunning. We all really enjoyed it but we only went for 3 days and it wasn't long enough. We stayed in a Haven caravan park but what we noticed is that there were no other families on that beach that day with us except for two others. So that means nearly everyone stayed in that Haven holiday park. Whilst we couldn't understand that, it did make it better for use because then there was just dog walkers and people going for walks on the beaches and it was more peaceful. Magical place!

I am rambling now. I will do that often and will go on and on sometimes.

Welcome to the forums.

I was diagnosed in my mid 50's when it was still called Asperger's also.
Finding this forum has really been helpful for me and it's a group I find
I fit in with.
We all help each other and have some fun along the way! :)

Hi Alex

I hate introductions too, but yours is great, I must say. You said a lot in a small paragraph lol

Life is, indeed hard being on the spectrum and I believe that the termology: Aspergers is trying to be banned, because of the connotation with Han's Aspergers being in charge of killing disabled ones and during that time, he noticed that some exhibited different, but similar traits and thus, named them as having Aspergers. I only read this information, so it really is not concrete information, but makes sense, otherwise, it is illogical to ban something for no reason, thus, sure it is political.

I was diagnosed around the same time as you.
Thank you. I knew there was some controversy over Hans Aspergers but strangely my psychologist who assessed me, whilst not using the term Aspergers did say I had a condition that used to be termed that. He also suggested I read a book called Neuro Tribes which goes into detail about Hans Aspergers and other researchers into autism from the early 20th century. I found it a boring book because I was not interested in these people and I wanted a book that was talking more about the experience of individual people with autism and how they experienced day to day life. I gave up on that book a third of the way in.

I was also under the impression by reading others comments that another reason that Aspergers was not being used anymore, is that some people with Aspergers saw themselves at the top of an autism heirarchy and therefore superior to others with Autism. I am not for one minute suggesting that's what I have seen and so far I haven't seen that myself, but some others have suggested that is the case. I certainly have never seen myself as better than anyone else with autism be it an ASD diagnosis or severe autism or whatever. We are all different and that's what I have learned. My son has autism and he is different to me, my nephew has autism and he is different to me and my son but we all have similarities and a crossover of things we experience the same.

I adore my son and I wouldn't change him, his autism is an integral part of his character and whilst it can be very challenging at times, it is what makes him and a part of him and part of why we adore him. When he makes up his own words and expressions it can be funny and we join in with him using these words. For example he hears me snoring but he calls it "Draco" and for ages I didn't know what draco was until he said one day "daddy get some draco" then proceeded to imitate my snore noises but with some strange snoring noise he had invented instead. His behaviour is endearing and we love it

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

I was diagnosed in my mid 50's when it was still called Asperger's also.
Finding this forum has really been helpful for me and it's a group I find
I fit in with.
We all help each other and have some fun along the way! :)
Thank you.

Thank you. We as family enjoy time in woodlands, moorlands and beaches and have done since my wife passed her test two and half years ago. Unfortunately I don't drive, I have tried but I find manual cars difficult. I am thinking just to learn an automatic car instead and pass that test but then it's the expense of having two cars, plus not good for the environment either. We only have a small car and my wife seems to prefer that.

I think going out to places of nature is something my child enjoys, either because we did it from an early age or its just genetic as both of us parents enjoy that too. Could be that really, once we get kids away from YouTube, or watching TV/cartoons or video games, they do actually enjoy nature and the outdoors. Or it could be that we just did it from an early age with him so he is used to doing that.

We are going wild camping in Scotland next week. A bit daunting as I have never wild camped before and haven't been camping since 1987, and because it rained so much then, I didn't really enjoy it that much. I have much better equipment this time though and the benefit of having a car we can get in and drive away if it gets too much. It should be an experience though, we are going to the Highlands, my wife's first time there as she wanted to see the mountains up there

As I mentioned, we went to Northumberland recently and the magnificent beaches up there. No development or funfairs, rides, arcades, fish and chips, fast food places but that's why we loved it. Plus the beaches there are stunning. We all really enjoyed it but we only went for 3 days and it wasn't long enough. We stayed in a Haven caravan park but what we noticed is that there were no other families on that beach that day with us except for two others. So that means nearly everyone stayed in that Haven holiday park. Whilst we couldn't understand that, it did make it better for use because then there was just dog walkers and people going for walks on the beaches and it was more peaceful. Magical place!

I am rambling now. I will do that often and will go on and on sometimes.

Don’t worry about rambling, I’m probably the most guilty of that out of anyone on here lol.

It sounds like your family has been having an amazing time exploring and I’m really happy you have been able to do that :)
It’s my favorite thing to do!

I hope you enjoy camping in Scotland. I really want to travel to the UK at some point and see the beautiful countryside. Hopefully you will share some photos! They don’t have to be personal of course, just scenery if you would like :)

I would give you a longer reply right now but it’s 3am where I live and I need to sleep. But I did want to give you a bit of a reply tonight just so you know I read your post and responded :)

Have a good day Alex!

Don’t worry about rambling, I’m probably the most guilty of that out of anyone on here lol.

It sounds like your family has been having an amazing time exploring and I’m really happy you have been able to do that :)
It’s my favorite thing to do!

I hope you enjoy camping in Scotland. I really want to travel to the UK at some point and see the beautiful countryside. Hopefully you will share some photos! They don’t have to be personal of course, just scenery if you would like :)

I would give you a longer reply right now but it’s 3am where I live and I need to sleep. But I did want to give you a bit of a reply tonight just so you know I read your post and responded :)

Have a good day Alex!
Hello Luca, I will post some photos but don't know where to put them yet

There's a Media section, on my tablet I go to top left and tap the three horizontal lines, it shows a menu, tap Media and choose My media to add your pics.

IMG_20220625_134414.jpg

Welcome Alex! My daughter was recently diagnosed ASD but quoted to have high functioning or Aspergers in explanation. I don’t find the condition superior but as well still have a lot of redefining what it is to me as I have trouble differentiating between Autism and various personality traits but that’s probably because I have always been treated like an over-sensitive person and that the issues I had were invalid, imagined or actually normal and just not talked about, even with the constant events of my life always portraying my as weird or outlandish in the eyes of others, I didn’t fully see it outside of their perspective opinions and just led life as I thought others did, muting whatever was deemed odd and just trudging on doing the best I could with what I had. I didn’t question for decades, more concerned with just making it through each day and being who I was ‘supposed’ to be as the years passed. I don’t specifically notice deficits or other things pertaining to my daughter or self outside of sensory and processing issues and sometimes or even more often than; the signs of a restless overactive/overwhelmed mind. I’m not concerned about at all for my daughter, for the moment she is confident, curious and seems can already manipulate older children to handle her discrepancies with others (which concerns me a bit.. ), sociable and sometimes awkward, certainly a solo-act 70% of the time and like me, loves to help others but hates assistance and is too hard on herself. I am afraid for her having a diagnosis, not because of knowing as I believe it to be exponentially helpful but of the perspective that “that’s why I do that” diminishing some ambition.. I realize that that is anxiety and able-ism but at the same time, if it is the case for me; it did work.. except I had excessive amounts of ambition and capability but always lacked enough capacity or never had enough time in any given day to do all I wanted to do. I have already been relieved enough by browsing forums and talking with others here that even when I question my own opinion, which happens a lot; I’m confident I’ll be able to figure things out with the aid of the community here along the way.
I hope the community here brings you the same peace of mind and that the adventure for you both never ceases to be one of amazement and fun.

Not sure what to say. Hello, am 49 and was diagnosed at age 46 with ASD/Aspergers. I am fine using the term Aspergers. My son is also autistic but hasn't been diagnosed as Aspergers, it's just ASD now. Life is a challenge when you are on the spectrum, don't fit in anywhere with anyone really. My son is 4 and starts school this year and I love him dearly and I worry every day he will be ok at school. Don't know what else to say, not good at introductions.
When I joined I was very nervous and did not know what to say in my introduction so I just said hello. I was so grateful when people said nice things to me anyway. I do not know what I could have done if they had not. Welcome :)

I think making sure kids get to be outside sometimes and explore the natural world is extremely important! Growing up mostly immersed in nature and not being exposed much to video games or television helped shape the person I am as an adult.

I’m not saying it’s wrong or shameful for kids to like games or computers. But I think even now, my overall quality of life is much higher than it would be if I’d just sat around indoors like some people are letting their kids do nowadays. We didn’t even have the technology we do now when I was a kid, and now I see kids just being completely withdrawn into it. I think you are a great parent for giving your child the opportunity to explore and learn outside.

As an aside, I learned to memorize books as a toddler as well. I could actually read before I was in kindergarten :)
I’m still obsessed with books lol

Welcome, by the way! :)

When I was little we lived next to a huge forest and I would go in there almost every day. I was 5 but never got lost or in trouble there. So many trees. In the summer you could go under some trees and the light would come through the leaves so it was like a green lit hall underneath, they looked like houses made of trees. We would find turtles. Once we tried carving our initials into their shells to see if we could find them again. I know now animals have feelings and would not do that but we did not know. Everything felt like an adventure. The cold weather was the best. I used to point my cap gun rifle at the ducks that would fly over in a V and shoot at them.

There was a small hill, it might have been ten feet to the bottom but to me it seemed like 40 feet when it snowed and we would sled down it.

There was a farmer's field we were not supposed to cross, the kids said he had a shotgun with rock salt in it and would shoot us. But it made the trip to the Dairy Queen faster so I did go through it though I was scared and felt bad. The Dairy Queen had vanilla soft ice cream and for more money they would dip it into something melted that turned into a hard shell on the ice cream. It was butterscotch flavored. I really liked that. Sometimes I could break off a big piece and try to use it as a spoon to eat some ice cream.

If kids can go outside I think it could be good for them. I liked it a lot.

New Threads

Top Bottom