• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New and debating whether to be assessed for HFA

Aidos

Hi everyone. I just found this forum - mostly out of loneliness. I've been on WrongPlanet for years.

On paper, I fit HFA, and when I take the tests online, I tend to be borderline.

Having said that though, I think most of my normalcy has been earned. I've spent most of my adult life reading books on how to behave, and I've definitely felt like a chameleon.

I'm considering whether or not to be tested. I think my mom is HFA, and I think my older two children are, but we're all undiagnosed.

Here in my state there is free testing, but you have to live in the area. I have a friend who has another friend willing to write me a letter of occupancy, but I don't want to lie. So my other option is to pay $1500.

f3a0f99b29246acaa701fca79e8be1ac.png

Here in my state there is free testing, but you have to live in the area. I have a friend who has another friend willing to write me a letter of occupancy, but I don't want to lie. So my other option is to pay $1500.

Welcome to AF.

Let me get this straight. Sounds a bit confusing.

So while presumably you may live in Utah as a legal resident, you still have to actually live in whatever area locally provides a diagnosis at no cost? And your particular locality offers no such services?

So while presumably you may live in Utah as a legal resident, you still have to actually live in whatever area locally provides a diagnosis at no cost? And your particular locality offers no such services?

Correct.

Sorry to hear. I can see how that could be problematic, let alone unfair if one lives in a particularly "rural" area away from any population centers offering such a diagnosis.

However falsely documenting that you live elsewhere to qualify for such benefits may constitute a form of insurance fraud. A felony if it involves a benefits threshold of at least $1500. So you'd want to closely examine whatever repercussions might actually be involved if you pursue this through the help of friends who could also be at risk with the authorities.

"Intentionally or recklessly devising a scheme or device to obtain professional service fees or anything of value through false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, promises, or material omissions is:

A third-degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines if the value of the benefits sought or obtained is $1,500 or more but less than $5,000."

Utah Insurance Fraud Laws - FindLaw.com

Last edited:
They certainly don't make it easy, but then who does with this nation's healthcare systems ? :eek:

I understand it though. People have to be paid, buildings and everything that goes along with it.

Perhaps in the fall I'll go in.

I understand it though. People have to be paid, buildings and everything that goes along with it.

Perhaps in the fall I'll go in.

At that price level for a diagnosis I hope you can find a psychiatrist or a PhD in psychology.

At that price level for a diagnosis I hope you can find a psychiatrist or a PhD in psychology.

I'm reading a book right now - Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome (Autism Spectrum Disorder): How Seeking a Diagnosis in Adulthood Can Change Your Life, and it talks about how being assessed late in life can present problems because we've learned to mask well. And also being female, we seem to also have a higher level of adapting.

So, I think it's a risk - paying that much. But all diagnoses are, really.

Welcome! One question I would ask is what benefit you will gain from a diagnosis. In my opinion that important thing is to know yourself. There isn't much assistance for adults in the US with AS or HFA. If you feel like a diagnosis would personally benefit you through confirmation or whatever else then go for it. But that price tag seems a little steep to me. Simply knowing yourself will go further to benefit you than anything written on paper, or at least that's my opinion.

Anyway, welcome to the site. I spend a lot of time feeling lonely myself. Feel free to reach out anytime. I hope you make some great friends here. These people really are the best on the Internet.

Thank you!

I was thinking that if I received a positive diagnosis, then that would lend more weight to discussing HFA with my mom and my children - especially my son. I'm very worried about him, and I think being diagnosed might help him understand himself a little better.

I've done a lot of reading and working on myself. I accept who I am - even with all the quirks. :)

Hi Aidos welcome. Glad you found us. Hope you find useful ideas and information and support here. I was thinking about whether your son accepts he may be on the autistic spectrum? If he's 22 and hasn't been diagnosed he may prefer to persevere undiagnosed? I m on the fence about diagnosis, if theres a choice.

As someone who's got through life undiagnosed except by myself, I wonder if I d have achieved as much if I had known? Because there's a stigma attached to this diagnosis, in the world that doesn't understand what is valuable about us but only sees our difference, and interprets it negatively. For anyone borderline or masking enough to evade diagnosis, is it definitely good to pursue one? What will it do apart from attach a label the world sees as negative, and settle the weight of that label on the person's best endeavours?

You already probably know that mostly people don't understand this area of difference, so I d say self diagnosing and keeping clear of medical labels is a more powerful position. Your son might not want even to self diagnose? Or maybe he has? I hope you enjoy it here and feel supported.

:coffee: :watermelon::sake::strawberry::coffee::cookie::stew::bread::coffee::watermelon::sake::strawberry::coffee::cookie::stew::bread:

Welcome to Aspieforums, Adios. I hear what you are saying. As a 48 year old who was diagnosed at 47, I have asked myself all the pros and cons for childhood diagnosis of HFA and how that might have impacted my life. Many of the comments here may lean toward the pros and many may lean toward the cons. Both paths may be compelling. Listen to your heart. You won’t make the wrong decision. I aplaud your courage and fortitude to seek opinions. I am sure that others will comment in the coming hours and days. Keep seeking. Your in the right place here at Aspieforums.

You already probably know that mostly people don't understand this area of difference, so I d say self diagnosing and keeping clear of medical labels is a more powerful position. Your son might not want even to self diagnose? Or maybe he has? I hope you enjoy it here and feel supported.

If my son was doing really well, I'd not give it a second thought, but he's not. My oldest daughter is also having a difficult time. They may not want to get a professional diagnosis, but if I find that I am HFA, I'd want them to at least know, so that if at some point they wanted to confirm, they'd have an explanation as to why they're struggling.

I worry about them both.

Last edited:
Hope you find more ideas and information here to decide. Knowing what you know about HFA, can you consider how much is possible HFA issues and how much is other personality or family / life experiences issues your children are or have been up against, to be clearer what's going to be helpful for them? If there's other significant issues there may be ways to help address them. You can post about that here too, lots here have had traumatic or difficult life experiences unrelated to autism they've been through and learned from.

New Threads

Top Bottom