• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Never too late?

LooseEnds

V.I.P Member
Hi everyone,

I am a 51yo mum living in South East England - fundraiser by trade, and writer, photographer, doodler, makerofanythingatall, by nature. My interests range from fiction to astronomy, engineering to art... pretty much most things tho mostly bookish or creative, I guess.

I only recently 'accidentially' realised I may have undiagnosed Asperger's, when looking into the possibility with regard to my daughter. So much of the female Aspie profile applies to me that I simply cannot believe it never occurred to me before, but I am so glad that it has.

My main difficulties have been around social groups and friendships - wanting to belong and enjoy company but usually feeling like an alien from another planet. I love the world and all its fascinating bits but can get so caught up in detail I'm unable to finish projects, etc. Sensory overload becomes more challenging as I am getting older, too. All of this has caused depression, anxiety and missed opportunities in my life, and whilst I'm looking to the future it I do feel a bit sad to think how things could have been had I known 'how I worked'.

I'd love to hear from other 'latecomers'. I was really glad to find this forum and to hear all your stories and learnings whilst I start on this road and seek a private assessment. I'm excited at the prospect of finally recognising who I am, celebrating it and starting to work with the world in my own way rather than continue to struggle against it.

All best to you and thanks for listening!

Welcome, @LooseEnds! Glad you found us. As a fellow late bloomer (I "accidentally" discovered my place on the spectrum at age 51) I can say that your post reveals someone who has EXACTLY the right attitude to proceed successfully through this exciting and wonderful new chapter of your life!

I don't know if I qualify as a "late comer", I was diagnosed at 24. I had speech therapy up until I was 5, I struggled to make friends and learning to play with other children. Took language literally. All these things yet they failed to it up it.

But hey, got it recognised now rather than any later.

welcome.png

Welcome, @LooseEnds! Glad you found us. As a fellow late bloomer (I "accidentally" discovered my place on the spectrum at age 51) I can say that your post reveals someone who has EXACTLY the right attitude to proceed successfully through this exciting and wonderful new chapter of your life!

Thank you so much for the warm and encouraging welcome . Yes, if I am right, it feels like a key being put in my hand. Thanks again and all best to you.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I'm also a 'late comer', I was diagnosed when I was 41 (I'm now 46).

Hello @LooseEnds and welcome to the forum! I'm also a latecomer being diagnosed at 49. I also have a 14 year old daughter who has been officially diagnosed, it runs in our family! I'm glad you joined us :)

New Threads

Top Bottom