• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Never keep a beaver as a pet

It is interesting. I've encountered a few wild beavers in my life, while camping or hiking. They usually avoid humans. So it's strange to see a beaver acting similar to a housepet.

It is interesting. I've encountered a few wild beavers in my life, while camping or hiking. They usually avoid humans. So it's strange to see a beaver acting similar to a housepet.

Beavers seem kind of interesting to me in general. The build these massive damns, they cut down trees, they survive cold staying below ice without hibernating (I think) in the damns they construct

Somewhere I saw someone mention that beavers are a candidate for evolution to high levels of intelligence

they survive cold staying below ice without hibernating (I think)

They construct lodges and they don't hibernate. They store branches, roots, and eat aquatic plants, underwater in places where their ponds freeze over. And use it as a kind of grocery. They've been known to allow other animals like marmots and water rats to live with them over the winter in their lodges. They are nocturnal, so you don't see them very often in the wild.

They're amazing critters, and an important and essential keystone species in a wildlife area. Their dams can have filtration effects on water that runs through their areas. Hope he adjusts well to his new outdoor life.

You know what's so cute about beavers? They have really long childhoods. It takes 2-3 years for a baby beaver to grow up, and they have to be taught and apprenticed how to be a grown up beaver by their parents. They have to be taught how to cut down trees, build a dam, how to care for young, and how to forage and build their food middens. And until then, they are very vulnerable, and cannot care for themselves. It's quite sweet. They are so much like us.

Where I live, it's "The Beaver State". They say that there are supposedly beaver, somewhere, but all I've ever seen, instead, are ton of nutria. They were brought to the US by well-meaning conservationist minded fur trappers as a replacement for beaver pelt, from the Amazon basin.

Unlike beaver, however, nutrias are aggressive, and instead of building dams and creating wetlands, they dig holes in streambanks, and cause erosion.

Regardless of that, they are very cute, and they are wonderful parents. They toddle around quite comically, and their long, thin, rat-like tail can be a little disturbing at first, especially if you were expecting a beaver tail.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom