• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nervousness of public speaking diminishing!

Dillon

So earlier this evening I was with my bible group on campus who these people are really good friends of mine. I was apparently chosen to lead a chapter in the Bible over James of him explains the rich oppressing the poor. Anyway a few hours before we got together I was getting nervous knowing I loose train of thought or words do not come out right even though I know what to say in my head. However what I did before that is I took flash cards and wrote down what I was going to say from what I came up with in my head and I wrote downs the same things down a few times until I implanted it in my head. When it came time to get together I was a little nervous I noticed I stumbled at the beginning but right after was I was going right after it. One of my friends who usually leads our group and is pretty good told me “you’re leading for now on to be honest you’re actually better than me man!” I was surprised by that and felt like I didn’t do so bad after all for that hour I was speaking.

Another thing I had to do right after was I helped out a few college freshman during a tutoring session for biology. I’ve never tutored before but I know my subject well and I did the best I could. I had them say I explain the material a lot better than their professor which again another thing that is surprising!

I think tonight made me feel more confident and less fearful that I will be able to present a major project on Thursday in front of grad students and a few Professors. I’ve actually never had to confidence to speak in a group of people but I see it’s getting better overtime!

That's great! Sounds like you're a natural and just didn't know it.

Practicing your speech or public presentation before the date of the event helps calm the stress and increase your confidence. Your organization of your planned presentation on note cards is a great way to do it!

I had another presentation on I totally forgot about but we did the starting of it in class for an hour which wasn’t bad. I seem to a pattern when I speak at the beginning I tend to stumble not knowing what my words are at the moment even though I know what to say in my head. It’s want that bad when I started to flow with it for a 5 minute presentation.

I don't get nervous, been doing the public speaking thing for years.

I used to have to read aloud at school in English and Drama, and then in May 2003 I did a speech at an Autism conference in Northern Ireland to a roomful of Irish women, they all loved my broad Yorkshire accent apparently, and I didn't do what I usually do and speak even broader than normal, I just spoke normally.

I got a "standing ovation" for my speech anyway! Yay! Go me!

I don't get nervous, been doing the public speaking thing for years.

I used to have to read aloud at school in English and Drama, and then in May 2003 I did a speech at an Autism conference in Northern Ireland to a roomful of Irish women, they all loved my broad Yorkshire accent apparently, and I didn't do what I usually do and speak even broader than normal, I just spoke normally.

I got a "standing ovation" for my speech anyway! Yay! Go me!
For me I’m just getting more and more into it in a college setting since I didn’t really do much public speaking in high school and earlier on. I was so nervous in high school I did not feel like being in the classroom. Now it’s like a breeze for me lately since I was never actually taught the social skills for that when I was younger in grade school and developed ways on my own to overcome that struggle. I know the more I do speaking over presentations and research the more mentally prepared I’ll be for future things that may come up.

New Threads

Top Bottom