• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nervous about what my partner will think if they see me stim

LOL! For 35 years now my wife has grabbed my knee to hold it down when I start bouncing it and said "STOP!" Over the years I think the frequency has dropped but it has not gone away. Same thing for thrumming my fingers.

I'd bet large sums of money that your partner has already seen you stimming. We do it without even realizing it happens.

No I know they haven't
I'm very wary of it
Besides they get it confused with my really bad anxiety
So I guess I'll just say that it's not anxiety it's just a stim

I think you’re probably psyching yourself out. Probably he won’t even care. I know what it’s like to feel ashamed and self-conscious about stimming, though. Mine is rocking. I only ever do it when I’m alone, but I don’t think that’s an option for you. You should just come out and tell him or wait for him to ask you about it if/when he notices you doing it. Honestly I doubt he’ll care. It would be really weird if he did.

You would be surprised the things people have done when they found I was stimming...
But you're probably right... I'm probably just being stupid...

Nope, not stupid! Not at all!

I hope you will allow your boyfriend to see you stim. If your boyfriend is truly loving and kind stimming will make no difference to him at all. Stimming is a part of YOU.

If you are bouncing your knee, you're still just bouncing your knee. Labeling it a "stim" doesn't change the nature of what you are doing. It will be irritating or not irritating independent of whether you label it or not. 99 out of a hundred NTs don't have a clue what a "stim" is and why it happens, anyhow.

They do understand fidgeting. That is what I'd call it. I fidget a lot. All anyone ever needs to hear.

New Threads

Top Bottom