• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Needing Social Support To Motivate Self

Crazi

Is anyone else like this? I've gotten so bad at motivating myself to do things. It helps me out tremendously to have someone there initially to help me work out a plan and know they care/have my back so to speak.

I feel this is just a phase until the habits form, but in the mean time it's hard to explain to people. "Yeah, uh would you mind listening to me read out loud for ten minutes and then go back to doing whatever?"

They're all like/ that weird slash who has that kinda time to waste? they just don't see it as the helpful long term investment that it is.

I seem to need someone to squire me about or encourage me while I painting. But sometimes I prefer to paint alone. And other tasks I seem to finish if someone is waiting for it. I'm a nutter

I tend to talk to my friends while trying to do things. I know when I've got writer's block, it helps.

The moment you notice you need social support from friends and you're pulling the short straw, you do notice who your friends are and what they're about.

Of course, not everyone has unlimited amounts of time (and surely not to help out others; I mean, most people are happy to have personal time devoted to themselves) but the moment friends can't make the time and are just in there for the fun I don't know if I should be around with such people. Seems too much of a "let's stick my head in the sand" type of deal

Well, And i know this is an extreme example but it's not necessarily that they're a bad friend, but possibly it's that they just can't wrap their head around why that would ever be helpful to someone and are unwilling to trust. Sort of like people who have trouble believing in God. lol an extreme comparison I know but hey it's all I got. :D

I was actually kind of hoping we could make a social support thread for Aspies with specific needs they think the other members could help with. So, I ask, does a social support thread (the creation of) have any social support?

I was actually kind of hoping we could make a social support thread for Aspies with specific needs they think the other members could help with. So, I ask, does a social support thread (the creation of) have any social support?
oh yea I forgot I said this. Good idea, past self. :p

I think this kinda thing to some degree could be supported here. And for that, I think it's a great need to bring up. I don't however know that 1 thread is the way to get it. I see why u might want it to be. But, I don't see our group completely if at all, set up that way. Therefore, the issues of smaller topics maybe needed to be broken down more and put into separate threads. Also, generalizing is super hard for many of us. I believe strongly that's why the specific threads and group are set up like they are. Not to mention, the more specific someone is ( Not taken to much to the extreme, off course! ) the easier there brain can understand reality and solve there own challenges often. Guessing another posters lack of info is often no fun and defiantly not very time effective. Right? Also, more threads equal more exposure, and more likely to get better help, and have more people benefit from whatever it is. Agreed?

AspieSam, you is a tad too late. I already made the thread. Idk I think we'll just see how it goes.

New Threads

Top Bottom