• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Need some advice on how best to handle a family situation.

For sanity purposes, I will tell you that, from what I've seen, family members in our world are unable to truly know or love each other. Period. But I think parents, and especially those of autistic adults have a responsibility to try and shield you from the NT world as best they can. It sounds like yours jumped ship. Your dad may be a swell guy and all, but it sounds like he's being a d***less coward here. I mean, he's your blood parent and has seen all your life that you're a good creature that doesn't really do anything wrong. He'd rather serve some bimbo in her head than stand up for you. That's not cool. Just to write you off, because it world for him.

My husband and I have both been abandoned by our families in a similar fashion. You can survive though. And in the end, you may have a better chance of accurately seeing the world around you than others. If you go back around your dad and stepmom for survival, just be wary as you do it. And yes, keep hope in the things on Earth that are good.

I always tried very hard to do things for my dad to like me. I dont know that for him to ever love me would even be a possiblity. I guess my most unreasonable fear would be to turn out to be some heartless monster.

I suck at emotions. A lack of emotions is not the problem, I'm flooded with them and dont have the ability it seems to express them correctly at times.

I try so hard to see the good in people, hoping they can find something good in me, only to have to live with the facts that my birth parents hate my guts basically.

I look back and yes I was a handful, but not a problem child in anyway. My dad was basically a highschool football jock. He expected me to be this cordinated sports kid and I couldnt do it. I saw then the hate he had for me and it never changed.

As for my mom... I just have no answers for why she hated me so bad, maybe other than the fact she always told everyone I amost killed her in childbirth. I guess she forgot I nearly didn't make it either.

I can handle someone not liking me, or being angry with me. I mess up, I do and say stuff wrong, but to go through life knowing your parents hate the day you were born... it sucks pretty bad sometimes.

This will pass... I wish so much I could just forget all the things that have been said and done, but maybe that is what keeps me from doing the same... Not sure

Thank you for sharing and caring.

As for my mom... I just have no answers for why she hated me so bad, maybe other than the fact she always told everyone I amost killed her in childbirth. I guess she forgot I nearly didn't make it either

This can go different. There are mothers who don't like their kids and lie about it when pressed.
Lots of mothers go for the i love you route and hide their hatred behind that.
Which can also mess you up - that extra level of deceit and perhaps not knowing.
Those mixed messages of being told you're loved when what you see is hatred can also mess you up.
Also,in my situation, you get children treated differently, so some of them adore the mother and can't see why you have a problem.
(Karpmann drama triangle can work to explain this)

So there are lots of different flavors in a s*** sandwich is probably what I'm saying.

And emotions for ASD people is trying to get the juggling down to one orange.

I always tried very hard to do things for my dad to like me. I dont know that for him to ever love me would even be a possiblity. I guess my most unreasonable fear would be to turn out to be some heartless monster.

I suck at emotions. A lack of emotions is not the problem, I'm flooded with them and dont have the ability it seems to express them correctly at times.

I try so hard to see the good in people, hoping they can find something good in me, only to have to live with the facts that my birth parents hate my guts basically.

I look back and yes I was a handful, but not a problem child in anyway. My dad was basically a highschool football jock. He expected me to be this cordinated sports kid and I couldnt do it. I saw then the hate he had for me and it never changed.

As for my mom... I just have no answers for why she hated me so bad, maybe other than the fact she always told everyone I amost killed her in childbirth. I guess she forgot I nearly didn't make it either.

I can handle someone not liking me, or being angry with me. I mess up, I do and say stuff wrong, but to go through life knowing your parents hate the day you were born... it sucks pretty bad sometimes.

This will pass... I wish so much I could just forget all the things that have been said and done, but maybe that is what keeps me from doing the same... Not sure

Reading this makes me so sad because you are so obviously a good and caring person who tries his best to be kind and respectful of others. Hope that you will stop blaming yourself and beating yourself up for stuff that belongs elsewhere. The failing is with your parents not with you- they didn't deserve you.

I have a few more thoughts:

It seems obvious to me, too, that you haven't done anything wrong. You showed in your response that a large part of your sadness is more like a mourning...of the loss of two people that you have loved. Of course, that is hard.

You have emotions, that is feelings. But you don't know how to"emote", that is: to outwardly act out feelings in order to manipulate your environment. That is something NTs can do, and is a skill that could be used for good...but often isn't.

This fact should make you feel better: your parents are not seeing you clearly, then rejecting what you are based on a set of circumstances. They have always made you up to be a certain way (possibly only having glimpses of what you really are which they later assimilated into their imaginary story of "you". So, it's not really like they are hating you...

Both of my parents literally hate the Me they've created in their heads. I tried loving on my mother all the way up until she literally tried to kill my family. Then I had to tell her to stay away from me, detailing her past abuse and perversions. Now, she tells everyone she knows that I am an abusive pervert. And she def never repented or apologized. Last year, I found out when contacting my father for Christmas that it was also convenient for him to think I was Satan.

My husbands mother and grandparents all committed suicide, but when he was in their care, they shipped him off to group homes and the like. He's the sweetest, strongest person I know...

And lastly, you are an adult. You probably have been since some point I childhood. So in reality, you don't need parents. But in the world, you do need safe food and shelter. Do you have those?

It is a good time to spread your wings as Kestrel said.
I always tried very hard to do things for my dad to like me. I don't know that for him to ever love me would even be a possibility. I guess my most unreasonable fear would be to turn out to be some heartless monster.

I suck at emotions. A lack of emotions is not the problem, I'm flooded with them and don't have the ability it seems to express them correctly at times.

I look back and yes I was a handful, but not a problem child in anyway. My dad was basically a high school football jock. He expected me to be this coordinated sports kid and I couldn't do it. I saw then the hate he had for me and it never changed.

As for my mom... I just have no answers for why she hated me so bad, maybe other than the fact she always told everyone I almost killed her in childbirth. I guess she forgot I nearly didn't make it either.

i have removed everyone and everything from my life that doesn't contribute to my wellbeing
i've learned that you can't fix people and quiet often trying to help people with their problems is a waste of time, i've tried to help my mom but she never learns, she just used me to sort out her messes, hey presto momma gone, when i cut out my family, some people came looking for me, some didn't, it's good to know who is worth it and who is not

how would you like to christmas, does it have to be with any of them, would being with them make you happy during christmas?

dump bagage,
proceed with people that care about you
well, that's my way of looking at things

This can go different. There are mothers who don't like their kids and lie about it when pressed.
Lots of mothers go for the i love you route and hide their hatred behind that.
Which can also mess you up - that extra level of deceit and perhaps not knowing.
Those mixed messages of being told you're loved when what you see is hatred can also mess you up.
Also,in my situation, you get children treated differently, so some of them adore the mother and can't see why you have a problem.
(Karpmann drama triangle can work to explain this)

So there are lots of different flavors in a s*** sandwich is probably what I'm saying.

And emotions for ASD people is trying to get the juggling down to one orange.
Do you think that because I have problems that mean Iam not 100% positive 24/7 that I should stop communicating because people obviously don't want to hear it and will tell me to cheer up( which smacks of coldness to me )

Do you think that because I have problems that mean Iam not 100% positive 24/7 that I should stop communicating because people obviously don't want to hear it and will tell me to cheer up( which smacks of coldness to me )

No i don't think that.

Communication as much as you want.

And i also hate cheer up.

While 'good' & 'bad' are somewhat subjective, there is usually a broad consensus on behaviour (especially at the extremes).

There are good and bad people.
Most people become parents.

Ipso Facto
  1. There will be parents who bad people.
  2. There will be children who have parents who are bad people.
I see that adults are a conduit for other creatures to enter existence on Earth. When they become parents, they are still the same people (good or bad) as they were before - they don't change. We should evaluate our parents no differently from other people in our lives. If interaction with somebody (family or not) becomes painful or dangerous then the smart thing to do is to quarantine that individual either temporarily or permanently.

I have experience in that :)

I have a few more thoughts:

It seems obvious tome, too, that you haven't done anything wrong. You showed in your response that a large part of your sadness is more like a mourning...of the loss of two people that you have loved. Of course, that is hard.

You have emotions, that is feelings. But you don't know how to"emote", that is: to outwardly act out feelings in order to manipulate your environment. That is something NTs can do, and is a skill that could be used for good...but often isn't.

This fact should make you feel better: your parents are not seeing you clearly, then rejecting what you are based on a set of circumstances. They have always made you up to be a certain way (possibly only having glimpses of what you really are which they later assimilated into their imaginary story of "you". So, it's not really like they are hating you...

Both of my parents literally hate the Me they've created in their heads. I tried loving on my mother all the way up until she literally tried to kill my family. Then I had to tell her to stay away from me, detailing her past abuse and perversions. Now, she tells everyone she knows that I am an abusive pervert. And she def never repented or apologized. Last year, I found out when contacting my father for Christmas that it was alsoconvenientfor him to think I was Satan.

My husbands mother and grandparents all committed suicide, but when he was in their care, they shipped him off to group homes and the like. He's the sweetest, strongest person I know...

And lastly, you are an adult. You probably have been since some point I childhood. So in reality, you don't need parents. But in the world, you do need safe food and shelter. Do you have those?

It is a good time to spread your wings as Kestrel said.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom and other family members... I cant grasp the concept of hating your offspring, no matter how hard I try.

It makes me sick down deep to think about ever hating my son...
Sure he messes up, he upsets me sometimes, but he knows I will always be there for him and above all he knows I love him the best way I can.

Maybe down deep I just cant even bare the thought of acting like my parents, or a bunch of the rest of my family.

Its like I didnt even come from them most the time... There is just no connection, no common ground, its always been like I was this stranger thrown into a pit of wolves who will rip each other apart if there is nothing else around to prey on...

I am making huge plans to be out of here soon. Lots of complications. My cousin and I are part of a trust left to us by our Grand Parents... So its kind of really hard to deal with some of it. I'm trying to finish a huge remodel on my house so I can sell it I guess... Its a mess, but I am about to put 1438 miles between me and all this mess at some point in the near future, if all works out as planned.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom and other family members... I cant grasp the concept of hating your offspring, no matter how hard I try.

It makes me sick down deep to think about ever hating my son...
Sure he messes up, he upsets me sometimes, but he knows I will always be there for him and above all he knows I love him the best way I can.

Maybe down deep I just cant even bare the thought of acting like my parents, or a bunch of the rest of my family.

Its like I didnt even come from them most the time... There is just no connection, no common ground, its always been like I was this stranger thrown into a pit of wolves who will rip each other apart if there is nothing else around to prey on...

I am making huge plans to be out of here soon. Lots of complications. My cousin and I are part of a trust left to us by our Grand Parents... So its kind of really hard to deal with some of it. I'm trying to finish a huge remodel on my house so I can sell it I guess... Its a mess, but I am about to put 1438 miles between me and all this mess at some point in the near future, if all works out as planned.

Good luck with the plans! Hope you will be taking your son with you as can't imagine you being so far away from him.

New Threads

Top Bottom