• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My University published an article about ASDs

Berianireth

...and I'm in it!
ISSUU - The Burr Spring 2015 Issue by The Burr magazine
Frankly my mother and I weren't as impressed as we thought we would be with the unifying message, if there was one. What do you all think? I would have liked to see either a "call to action" or at least some form of advice to those on the spectrum, but the article almost ends without really making much of a point imo.

Must have been the computer I was using at the time. My computer has it at proper size with the control bar.

Article was pretty cool. A bit of the usual article you see overviewing ASD. I rather liked the opening with Weaver, not many articles do that kind of description of dealing with sensory overload. The main thing I liked was it saying quite bluntly we're not identical to each other and that we're just people too.

I couldn't get it to show me the page at legible size, with or without bar. But I'm glad you got the opportunity to speak up. Sometimes it's OK to have an essay piece without a call to action--every article is another seed planted. For every one hundred seeds, one will take root.

... I could be horribly biased because I'm in the opening! It's kind of odd reading it from my perspective because a lot of the things I said were quoted in a slightly different context. In part I'm worried I sound haughty or accusatory. Maybe not!

Aye, that's always the issue with being honest. I think that's one of the things that will just have to come with understanding how autism works is that some things are just a simple truth and are not a sign of arrogance, self-loathing, or any other negative label. Thankfully, there are a lot more introverts than just us Aspies, so they've already got their own little flyers and comic strips out showing how it's not them being mean or rude when they need time alone, it's simply a matter of recharging their batteries. Maybe it'll spill over to all us other oddballs. :)

Haha, right! I guess it's reasonable to expect readers to just interpret things at their tendency to interpret them anyway regardless of where/how quotes are inserted.

New Threads

Top Bottom