• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My son has PPD-NOS

mummifiedcircuitry

passes for human
He's 9 years old. I just wonder what other parents of kids with the same diagnosis or people who have been diagnosed with PDD-NOS would suggest I do to help him along in life.

Just joined an saw your post. Those of us who are parents of PDD-NOS children are few and far in between unfortunately. My 18 year old daughter was only recently diagnosed, but we can look back and see that it has actually been prevalent since she was 2 years old.

The first thing is find a vocational and life skills coach for your son, someone who has experience with autistic spectrum disorders. And find a support group as well - both for your son and for yourself.

My daughter went through a horrible time in middle school because of peer bullying and teacher misunderstandings. Don't be afraid to stand up for your son in school. Talk with the teachers/administrators and work up a plan.

And the biggest thing is ... let your son grow and learn. Expose him to new things. encourage him to follow things that he has a passion for. And always love him.

I hope this helps

My daughter was 17 when she was diagnosed. Also had horrible MS / HS years. I wish that I had accepted her unique strengths before a diagnosis and not tried to make her like everyone else. Something that I still find valuable, is to talk about social interactions. Explain why people react the way that they do and how they interpret your child's actions. My daughter appreciates these insights - not always right away though.

My daughter was just diagnosed this year at age 12. I have my daughter in bi-weekly counseling and weekly social skills group. I also work with the school to get her what she needs at school which really isn't much regarding grades but often have to have another child removed from her classes due to bullying. Bullying is a problem but do not let the school try to just sweep it under the rug. Keep on top of things. I am often asked by my husband, her step father, if it is a good idea to protect her so much, "what's going to happen when she gets in to the real world and people don't give her special considerations." I don't have an answer for that. What is going to happen?

New Threads

Top Bottom