• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can olfactory hallucinations be explained by Autism Spectrum Disorder? I have sensory issues and I sometimes smell things that are not there.

Your sense of smell may be hightend by autism so it may not be that the smells aren't there just that you're able to detect smells that are so faint other people can't smell them.

Your sense of smell may be hightend by autism so it may not be that the smells aren't there just that you're able to detect smells that are so faint other people can't smell them.

It's scary, to be honest with you. I am afraid that if I tell people that I smell things that they can't, they might think I am hallucinating.

It's distressful!

Can olfactory hallucinations be explained by Autism Spectrum Disorder? I have sensory issues and I sometimes smell things that are not there.

Olfactory hallucinations can have many origins. I have them occasionally, but then I've had sinus/allergy issues my whole life.

"Phantosmia may be caused by a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by aging, trauma, temporal lobe seizures, inflamed sinuses, brain tumors, certain medications and Parkinson's disease. Phantosmia can also result from COVID-19 infection."

Phantosmia: What causes olfactory hallucinations?

I have the opposite issue. My senses of smell and taste are not good at all. I can barely smell skunk, and I cannot pass a mask-fit test at work because the "stinky spray" they use to test the mask fit,...I can't smell or taste. I usually eat for biological needs,...nothing tastes good or bad,...it has a taste,...it just isn't that strong.

I have the opposite issue. My senses of smell and taste are not good at all. I can barely smell skunk, and I cannot pass a mask-fit test at work because the "stinky spray" they use to test the mask fit,...I can't smell or taste. I usually eat for biological needs,...nothing tastes good or bad,...it has a taste,...it just isn't that strong.

Good point. I've known a number of people who for whatever reasons had a diminished sense of smell- or taste. (Not counting smokers)

My sensory issues feel like mild hallucinations, because I sometimes smell things that other people can't smell.

I've also had olfactory sensations that I could not account for.

Disturbing at times...though with my allergy/sinus issues I've been told it's "par for the course". The one drawback in living in the desert. So much dust!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom