• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

My drawings through the years

Another way to look at it: in the world of dogs, ”derpy” is one of the best compliments you can give. I am NOT calling you a dog, but are you sure derpy is a negative thing?

And by the way, that January 11th drawing is pretty fantastic.
I don’t understand the context of “the world of dogs.”

I don’t understand the context of “the world of dogs.”
Yeah, I can see why that’s confusing. I guess I mean humans who like dogs. I love dogs and I have friends who love dogs and we will often call each other’s dog a derp when they look really really cute. In my head it’s a compliment. I bring up dogs because that’s the only context in which I’ve heard that word used. But, in that context it is usually used lovingly in my experience.

Yeah, I can see why that’s confusing. I guess I mean humans who like dogs. I love dogs and I have friends who love dogs and we will often call each other’s dog a derp when they look really really cute. In my head it’s a compliment. I bring up dogs because that’s the only context in which I’ve heard that word used. But, in that context it is usually used lovingly in my experience.
When I look up the term “derpy” on Google, it is defined as being foolish or stupid. There’s also a South Park character named Mr. Derp and he’s portrayed as a doofus.

When I look up the term “derpy” on Google, it is defined as being foolish or stupid. There’s also a South Park character named Mr. Derp and he’s portrayed as a doofus.
Oh, I’m sorry. I think I am wrong here. People definitely use it to describe dogs in the loving way, but clearly it has other uses, too.

Sorry for the confusion there, but I still think your art is pretty cool.

Oh, I’m sorry. I think I am wrong here. People definitely use it to describe dogs in the loving way, but clearly it has other uses, too.

It’s not your fault. Society has a bad habit of using words haphazardly.

I wish art could be my life instead of the dull and jail-like library job I have.

I wish art could be my life instead of the dull and jail-like library job I have.
If art is truly in your heart, then it can go everywhere with you - even to your dull library job. Although you might not be drawing, you could be studying - studying shadows and shapes and lines and looking around you and thinking about everything how you would draw it.

I always had a hard time looking at people’s faces when we were talking. But, when I started to study their faces artistically, I gained a new social skill. Now, when people think I am having normal eye contact with them, really I am studying the shadows that make a nose stand out, and trying to memorize how to make the shadows on the temples, around the chin, and under the eyes.

I understand your sentiment, but I believe you can make art your life and also bear the burden of this boring job.

I guess I have to conclude that I am not good at drawing at all. Recently, someone said everything I did looked “derpy” and that has set my already low confidence even further back. They also expressed shock that I find blending daunting.
You're a lot better than me.

In grade school kids just licked their colored pencils
when they wanted the color to be smooth and dark.

Today is the first I've seen people using petroleum
jelly and baby oil for a similar effect.

Here's a video on various ways to blend colored pencils.

I have drawn on and off throughout my life. I tend to be hard on myself due to comparing myself to others and I have trouble holding pencils due to carpal tunnel as well as aspie-motor problems but I’ve been getting some thumbs up from friends so I am getting more confident in what I am doing.

First, my older stuff. This is Impy, a character of my own:
seOdPZg.jpeg

This is a Lupo the Butcher-like character I created in an art class only doing vertical lines:
VbYGbir.jpeg

Impy again along with another original character, Grife, in a Ren and Stimpy like pose:
c5yTGhh.jpeg

I forgot what the technique I did for this is called but it resulted in something zany:
UxnoZPx.jpeg

Kittens:
cs728QI.jpeg

Meant to be a self-portrait of my younger self, especially before my hairline receded:
I7y1Zq3.jpg

Grife and Impy again, sitting on a couch like Beavis and Butthead:
zjELRdP.jpeg

Now, for some things more recent.

Nanachi from Made in Abyss. I am working on a newer drawing of the character, though:
9KON1q1.jpeg

A drawing of X from Mega Man X in progress:
LdW19mU.jpeg
Keep going, follow your bliss, you enjoy it. This is good.

The person who called my art “derpy” and that it’s obvious I have shaky hands I wish never told me those things. It’s partly why I haven’t drawn anything lately.

I guess I have to conclude that I am not good at drawing at all. Recently, someone said everything I did looked “derpy” and that has set my already low confidence even further back. They also expressed shock that I find blending daunting.

I wouldn’t conclude that at all.

May I ask, when you are sketching do you use shapes and forms to design the base of your character? Do you model a body form and add attire to it? Do you define the hair alongside the outlining?

I would like to know your process because though I do like your work and see a lot of improvement made, adaptation and addition of skills in the past year..

I see a lot of things that look similar to my own struggles had before progressing further but yet in your words, only recognize the painful hands after reading the entirety, making me wonder how you sketch and whether you have issue with applied pressure while concentrating or focusing.

To me there are some subtleties that stand out but I’d like to hear from your experience before I explain a bit more

I do appreciate your work, the full Nanachi and Stimpodemon I admire and you do have a decent amount of talent..

I was not keen on most depictions of Impy but the initial artwork of Impy at the thread beginning had me curious what other variations you had created, as I like the aspects of that one.

I wouldn’t conclude that at all.

May I ask, when you are sketching do you use shapes and forms to design the base of your character? Do you model a body form and add attire to it? Do you define the hair alongside the outlining?

I would like to know your process because though I do like your work and see a lot of improvement made, adaptation and addition of skills in the past year..

I see a lot of things that look similar to my own struggles had before progressing further but yet in your words, only recognize the painful hands after reading the entirety, making me wonder how you sketch and whether you have issue with applied pressure while concentrating or focusing.

To me there are some subtleties that stand out but I’d like to hear from your experience before I explain a bit more

I do appreciate your work, the full Nanachi and Stimpodemon I admire and you do have a decent amount of talent..

I was not keen on most depictions of Impy but the initial artwork of Impy at the thread beginning had me curious what other variations you had created, as I like the aspects of that one.
I honestly don’t use any shapes or forms. I just use reference pictures as bases.

if I should color her in since it would help some of her features stand out
That is a really cool idea… would love to see what you do.

Sometimes I make a copy of my pencil/outline drawing and then color it in or add a background, just in case I mess up, I still have the original outline. Kind of a safety measure.

Her hair is really awesome, by the way.

New Threads

Top Bottom